TWU/IAM Members: How Long Will Negotiations Take?

How long do you think it will be before the Association presents a contract proposal to any of the w

• By the first week of 2016 (within about 30 days)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30-60 Days

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • 60-90 Days

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 90-120 Days

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • 4-6 Months

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • 6-9 Months

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • 9-12 Months

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • 12-18 Months

• 18-24 Months

• 24-48 Months or longer

Votes: 40 40.0%

• Total voters
1AA said:
I guess the truth hurts. Spoken like a true twu fleet service loyalist. Merry Christmas.
Did you ever consider becoming a used car salesman? I doubt you could sell anything but it might be your one true calling?

Merry Christmas to you too.

Reactions: 3 people
In my opinion, the only reasonable conclusion that the association gave the company a pass is they know something we don't.  One or more groups will get news that they will not like and they would prefer any reaction till after the holidays. 

I believe after the holidays a company proposal will surface and the race to vote on it will be on.

One scenario being thrown around is that the company will offer us the money and not much else.

Will they keep the association as 2 seperate entities?  TWU and IAM until next negotiations?

the last thing we want is seperation going forward!   if we are the Association then merge us as one!

Reactions: 4 people
I guess I'm not the only elitist.

Dear Brother Lombardo

We’ve been seeing several documents and letters explaining to snails pace that the Alliance and American Airlines have been negotiating at.

You blamed Brother Peterson and his lawsuit against this Alliance for the delay in moving forward. It then turned out that the two parties have only met six times in six months, since the lawsuit was thrown out by the NMB.

I do wonder if it were your pay rise at steak, whether you would employee lethargic sloths to keep you in the top 2% of wage earners.

I, on the other hand, have been mulling this viscous pace the TWU/IAM have adopted. I have a theory that could explain this, which I will now put forward.

The TWU just isn’t used to negotiating a contract that is beneficial to its membership, the whole structure of our Union is used to give-backs, cuts in pay, depletion in vacation weeks, slashing of perks, handing back sick time, company favorable contract language, drastic reduction in holiday pay, pension benefits thrown to the four winds, retiree medical eliminated completely, etcetera, etcetera.

The prospect of coming back to the membership with what is now an inevitable contract based on all the other airline contracts has got all the TWU officials in their ivory towers completely flummoxed.

The TWU for decades has carefully nurtured a well-oiled machine that is used to coming back to their membership with, what only be described as, contracts worthy only to be used as toilet tissue.

All of this while the isolated TWU officials, sneak in and out of airports, and fail to respond to membership letters and complaints, while driving in union provided cars and living in the lap of luxury.

Now we are faced with an airline that is making record profits, and throwing money around like confetti on new aircraft, new trucks, new terminals, and even new Cadillac’s. The other competing airline’s mechanics have seen a surge in pay and benefits. So what is the TWU to do? Come back with their tried and true method of explanation of how the economy could turn south, and everyone, except the TWU officials, have to tighten our belts to ensure the survivability of the Airline. Well, Brother Lombardo, we both know what that will mean! You guessed it! AMFA again, and I’m sure that would not go down well at the Alliance headquarters of sluggish movement. I’m sure the Teamsters won’t be persuaded to be up for another distraction drive.

Brother Lombardo you now only have one choice, turn that sluggish mule-train around, and get negotiating.

There is one silver lining to this cloud that has descended on the TWU/IAM Alliance headquarters, and that is, anything you win back for us, you can then give back at the next contract talks and again lead the way as the premier union racing for the bottom.

Yours truly, and enduring the hardships of a failed labor movement

Brother Michael Allen

Very surprised at the negotiating schedule. Meeting for 3 consecutive weeks is a good start.

1AA said:
I guess I'm not the only elitist.

Dear Brother Lombardo

We’ve been seeing several documents and letters explaining to snails pace that the Alliance and American Airlines have been negotiating at.

You blamed Brother Peterson and his lawsuit against this Alliance for the delay in moving forward. It then turned out that the two parties have only met six times in six months, since the lawsuit was thrown out by the NMB.

I do wonder if it were your pay rise at steak, whether you would employee lethargic sloths to keep you in the top 2% of wage earners.

I, on the other hand, have been mulling this viscous pace the TWU/IAM have adopted. I have a theory that could explain this, which I will now put forward.

The TWU just isn’t used to negotiating a contract that is beneficial to its membership, the whole structure of our Union is used to give-backs, cuts in pay, depletion in vacation weeks, slashing of perks, handing back sick time, company favorable contract language, drastic reduction in holiday pay, pension benefits thrown to the four winds, retiree medical eliminated completely, etcetera, etcetera.

The prospect of coming back to the membership with what is now an inevitable contract based on all the other airline contracts has got all the TWU officials in their ivory towers completely flummoxed.

The TWU for decades has carefully nurtured a well-oiled machine that is used to coming back to their membership with, what only be described as, contracts worthy only to be used as toilet tissue.

All of this while the isolated TWU officials, sneak in and out of airports, and fail to respond to membership letters and complaints, while driving in union provided cars and living in the lap of luxury.

Now we are faced with an airline that is making record profits, and throwing money around like confetti on new aircraft, new trucks, new terminals, and even new Cadillac’s. The other competing airline’s mechanics have seen a surge in pay and benefits. So what is the TWU to do? Come back with their tried and true method of explanation of how the economy could turn south, and everyone, except the TWU officials, have to tighten our belts to ensure the survivability of the Airline. Well, Brother Lombardo, we both know what that will mean! You guessed it! AMFA again, and I’m sure that would not go down well at the Alliance headquarters of sluggish movement. I’m sure the Teamsters won’t be persuaded to be up for another distraction drive.

Brother Lombardo you now only have one choice, turn that sluggish mule-train around, and get negotiating.

There is one silver lining to this cloud that has descended on the TWU/IAM Alliance headquarters, and that is, anything you win back for us, you can then give back at the next contract talks and again lead the way as the premier union racing for the bottom.

Yours truly, and enduring the hardships of a failed labor movement

Brother Michael Allen
When was this written? Should have been 8 months ago.

Reactions: 2 people
Are you kidding me January 11th. This company and ASSociation could give two shakes about any of us. They will cater to any group to get a POS and I mean POS contract. The question is, what is the ASSociation going to fold like a cheap card table on. The list they put out is pie in the sky, and when the company says no and this is what you will get and like it, the response from the ASSociation will be we did the best we could and like the Billy Joel song goes the union will slink away. The company comes late to our first meeting, tells you how much the think of us. The ASSociations buys the feeble excuse there are no conference rooms until after the first of the year. We need to call them out with a huge BULL__IT on that whopper. This company has no respect for the AMT'S and everything the have said at these town hall meetings has been TOTAL BS except for hello and goodby.

It's odd that when you read associations letter, I get the impression that AA and association are going over every aspect of contract in great detail, and when I read GP's letter, AA is out to screw us and that the contract negotiations will drag on for years, AGAIN!!!!

I guess we will see which is more accurate. I predict we will be working under new contract by April. optimistically hoping

1AA said:
Sent to me through the email loop today. I don't know the exact day it was written.

I'm sorry sir but I do not want to buy that rickety old jallopy you are trying to sell. And wide collars went out in the 80's along with that Members only jacket you're wearing.

Chuck Schalk said:
In my opinion, the only reasonable conclusion that the association gave the company a pass is they know something we don't.  One or more groups will get news that they will not like and they would prefer any reaction till after the holidays. 

I believe after the holidays a company proposal will surface and the race to vote on it will be on.

One scenario being thrown around is that the company will offer us the money and not much else.

Will they keep the association as 2 seperate entities?  TWU and IAM until next negotiations?

the last thing we want is seperation going forward!   if we are the Association then merge us as one!
If it's just the money and we aren't forced into the IAMNPF, 50+1 is probably in.

See you in 5 years for section 6.

Traymark said:
If it's just the money and we aren't forced into the IAMNPF, 50+1 is probably in.

See you in 5 years for section 6.
The company is not going to force us into the IAMNPF it will be the union. It seems to be one of the main issues why cant the TWU tell us if we there is going to be an option. If there is no option, don't bother negotiating

Reactions: 1 person