TWU proposes intense period of negotiations with American Airlines

Aug 14, 2008
TWU proposes intense period of negotiations with American Airlines
7:25 PM Tue, Oct 14, 2008
Terry Maxon

American Airlines and its Transport Workers Union have tried twice to get a quick contract deal in intense negotiations. On Friday, the TWU suggested a third attempt.

In a letter to American Airlines employee relations executive James Weel, TWU official Dennis Burchette suggested eight days of concentrated talks, Dec. 1-8, to try to get a new deal.

"At the end of the eighth day, if no agreement is reached, both sides would jointly file for mediation," wrote Mr. Burchette, American Airlines system coordinator and international vice president of TWU.

The talks would involve joint negotiations for fleet service clerks, stores employees, simulator technicians and instructors.

Mr. Burchette's proposal calls for the negotiating teams to "remain sequestered and available 24/7, totally focused and committed to the process."

Before talks began last fall, the two sides tried to work out a fast deal to replace the current contract, which became amendable on May 1, 2008.

In a second attempt in May, the company made a two-year proposal that gave the TWU members a couple of lump sum payments, but no pay rate increases, plus other goodies, in exchange for provisions that the union wouldn't accept.

In the May offer, American insisted that all TWU negotiating units, including those representing mechanics and dispatchers, accept the deal, including the ones represented by the joint committee.

Negotiators for some units were willing to send the agreement to a membership vote, but other negotiators didn't think it was good enough to vote on.

The TWU faces restlessness from its membership, including some local presidents, for a deal that regains what the union gave up in 2003 concessions.

Hopefully these will be productive talks and that both sides can reach an agreement without having to file for mediation.

Hopefully these will be productive talks and that both sides can reach an agreement without having to file for mediation.
Why wait until the first week of December? Do you really think the company wants to forge any agreements with any of the labor groups? It would be a Biblical sign to Armageddon if management tried to convey anything meaningful to its employees by year end. :ph34r:

Why wait until the first week of December? Do you really think the company wants to forge any agreements with any of the labor groups? It would be a Biblical sign to Armageddon if management tried to convey anything meaningful to its employees by year end. :ph34r:
Its just puff and pagentry on the part of the International.

Checking the political wind, my friend. By 1 December AMR will have a good idea if unions will have a better bargaining position (by virtue of the presidential election), or perhaps only to give us that impression.

Yeah that "working together" company boot licking has really paid off and Burchette got the money out Carmine's pocket as promised!

I see the Dallas Morning News reported late Friday that AA agreed to this. I think it's a good idea. At least no one can seriously make an accusation that both sides are not trying to reach an agreement. Will be interesting to see where this goes...

Lets rush into an agreement with concessions as the economy is slowly showing signs of improvements. Oil prices falling, new airplanes on order, fares going up. All looks good to me.
We do not need another 1995 contract. Does anybody remember that contract?
6 years, two pay raises .25 cents each and AA made near record or record profits. The union went back to the company and asked to open the contract. Company said NO! You have an agreement. Remember????

Lets rush into an agreement with concessions as the economy is slowly showing signs of improvements. Oil prices falling, new airplanes on order, fares going up. All looks good to me.
We do not need another 1995 contract. Does anybody remember that contract?
6 years, two pay raises .25 cents each and AA made near record or record profits. The union went back to the company and asked to open the contract. Company said NO! You have an agreement. Remember????

I remember well. I also remember during that period of record profits for AA, Bill Cullhane, then line maintenance VP visiting JFK. We expressed to him how a 6 1/2% raise over 6 years was hurting us. especially those of us in NY and other high cost areas. He said "I FEEL YOUR PAIN, GUYS..THE COMPANY FEEL YOUR PAIN. BUT WE HAVE A CONTRACT UNTIL 2001. SORRY!"

It was also at that time, when the then JFK maintenance manager was bragging to us about the new Corvette he bought with his bonus check..

Great company we work for..

So now we don't have a new contract, and the company still "FEELS OUR PAIN" but they are looking for more concessions.

I think the only thing they understand is the aluminum placed up their rectal cavities.

I remember well. I also remember during that period of record profits for AA, Bill Cullhane, then line maintenance VP visiting JFK. We expressed to him how a 6 1/2% raise over 6 years was hurting us. especially those of us in NY and other high cost areas. He said "I FEEL YOUR PAIN, GUYS..THE COMPANY FEEL YOUR PAIN. BUT WE HAVE A CONTRACT UNTIL 2001. SORRY!"

It was also at that time, when the then JFK maintenance manager was bragging to us about the new Corvette he bought with his bonus check..

Great company we work for..

So now we don't have a new contract, and the company still "FEELS OUR PAIN" but they are looking for more concessions.

I think the only thing they understand is the aluminum placed up their rectal cavities.

I'm not disagreeing re: the judicious yet forceful positioning of AL, but remember - that's a "scorched earth"-type policy. If things ever got to that point, it's doubtful many would have the stomach for it considering the previously OK'd trade of wages for jobs.

I'm not disagreeing re: the judicious yet forceful positioning of AL, but remember - that's a "scorched earth"-type policy. If things ever got to that point, it's doubtful many would have the stomach for it considering the previously OK'd trade of wages for jobs.

It does not have to be "scorched earth" at all. In fact a strategic plan would inflict pain and at the same time keep our jobs. In fact in-house maniupulation of Aluminum is far better than going out the door with picket sign made a at the TWU Sign Factory. Test the stomach of the company bootlickers? Sure. But at some point that test will either be intiated by us, or be forced upon us. Which would you prefer?

It does not have to be "scorched earth" at all. In fact a strategic plan would inflict pain and at the same time keep our jobs. In fact in-house maniupulation of Aluminum is far better than going out the door with picket sign made a at the TWU Sign Factory. Test the stomach of the company bootlickers? Sure. But at some point that test will either be intiated by us, or be forced upon us. Which would you prefer?

I'd much rather do the initiating - good point.

We'll know by the 10th of November which way the wind is blowing.

I recieved an E-mail that the negotiating committee found out about all of this the same way we did-through the media!!

Unbelievable. The Committee should boycott the meeting so there is no quorum then demand that the talks take place in New York, Chicago or LAX. Why let the company guys go home every night?