TWU proposes intense period of negotiations with American Airlines

That is Unbelievable!!
Thats Jim Little style unionism!

It gets better. Yesterday they had a conference call and the negotiating committee voted against the intense negotiations but then the ORD President called for a roll call vote, seconded by MIA, while the vote was 12 to 8 against, roll call passed it. From what I heard ORD, MIA, SFO,LAX, DFW, BNA, RDU are some of those who voted for it.

With oil plummeting faster than bookings whats the rush? Is the TWU trying to get another concessionary package in place before the fuel savings kick in?

On another note that futher validates the claim that the Negotiating Committee is not the controling body of negotiations between AA and the TWU the Neg Committee had voted to move negotiations out of Dallas they were told by the International "No", the reason was because the company said so.

Lets rush into an agreement with concessions as the economy is slowly showing signs of improvements. Oil prices falling, new airplanes on order, fares going up. All looks good to me.
We do not need another 1995 contract. Does anybody remember that contract?
6 years, two pay raises .25 cents each and AA made near record or record profits. The union went back to the company and asked to open the contract. Company said NO! You have an agreement. Remember????

I don't know what economy you're looking at. The one I see sucks. High (and rising) unemployment (talk to MCI'ers about that), weak demand (especially among premium pax) and continued banking and credit issues. I'm glad you're optimistic because oil is off and AA is buying new planes, but I'm not. We still have very serious challenges ahead both as an industry and as a company.

Besides, no one is talking about six years here. That is exactly why we are going for short duration. Won't let that happen again.

Sounds like you are entertaining the idea of an exstension of the six years.
No contract without some sort of monetary hourly gain is acceptable.
Six years was enough

This time, Ms. McLallen said, American is not requiring that all seven TWU negotiating units accept an agreement together
They are all ready changing thier tune. Now all they have to do is cough up some money. Oil below 70 that shouldnt be to hard to do.

I don't know what economy you're looking at. The one I see sucks. High (and rising) unemployment (talk to MCI'ers about that), weak demand (especially among premium pax) and continued banking and credit issues. I'm glad you're optimistic because oil is off and AA is buying new planes, but I'm not. We still have very serious challenges ahead both as an industry and as a company.

Well for the last twenty eight years that I've been in this industry we have been told that the industry faces serious challenges, but the fact is the workers are the ones facing serious challenges such as how to put food on the table etc etc. The industry always seems to have the money to build new terminals, buy new airplanes and pay their executives million in bonuses though, if they arent that worried about the industry and the serious challenges its faces why should we take it upon ourselves and our families to do without and make sacrifices?

Besides, no one is talking about six years here. That is exactly why we are going for short duration. Won't let that happen again.

Think again. You are still working under a five year paycut. A two year extension makes it a seven year paycut. Thats much, much worse than the 1995 contract. Lets not forget that Little promised we would get it all back with the early openers in 2006.

To be fair, not Jim Little nor most commodities traders saw the oil price doing what it has. That has thrown many plans out the window, including snap back.

The terminals and airplanes are absolutely necessary to make sure this company can compete in the long term. Those are the decisions management gets paid to make, and at least in the case of the 787s, it's the right decision.

No argument on the execs comp. If we're all raking in the dough I have no problem with it. But if some are losing while others win... that is not good leadership.

No argument on the execs comp. If we're all raking in the dough I have no problem with it. But if some are losing while others win... that is not good leadership.

Not good leadership

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The undrstatement of your post
but keep on preaching the company/ twu mantra of how we must give more in order to survive
I can allways use a good laugh
:lol: :lol:

To be fair, not Jim Little nor most commodities traders saw the oil price doing what it has. That has thrown many plans out the window, including snap back.

No need to be fair since everyone knows that the early openers were nothing more than a 2003 version of the 1995 "Me Too" clause.

The terminals and airplanes are absolutely necessary to make sure this company can compete in the long term. Those are the decisions management gets paid to make, and at least in the case of the 787s, it's the right decision.

New terminals absolutely necessary? Hardly. On the one hand management says price is the deciding factor, not amentities nor ambiance. After spending billions of dollars they only ended up with around the same number of gates. People dont choose one airline over another because they have the prettiest terminal.

The airplanes, well sure eventually they will need new ones but we need new cars in order to get to work. If we are expected to do without then the company should stretch out the service life of the planes they have before they buy new ones.

Thats Jim Little style unionism!

It gets better. Yesterday they had a conference call and the negotiating committee voted against the intense negotiations but then the ORD President called for a roll call vote, seconded by MIA, while the vote was 12 to 8 against, roll call passed it. From what I heard ORD, MIA, SFO,LAX, DFW, BNA, RDU are some of those who voted for it.

With oil plummeting faster than bookings whats the rush? Is the TWU trying to get another concessionary package in place before the fuel savings kick in?

On another note that futher validates the claim that the Negotiating Committee is not the controling body of negotiations between AA and the TWU the Neg Committee had voted to move negotiations out of Dallas they were told by the International "No", the reason was because the company said so.

I hear that some of the M&R Local Presidents are catching heat over this, these talks are not for M&R, they are for Joint.

You mean to tell me that the membership is getting information and the International is upset? What right does a member have to know what their elected leaders are talking about on their behalf? Why not let the members decide what they want, oh, that only happens in a democratic environment!

No need to be fair since everyone knows that the early openers were nothing more than a 2003 version of the 1995 "Me Too" clause.

New terminals absolutely necessary? Hardly. On the one hand management says price is the deciding factor, not amentities nor ambiance. After spending billions of dollars they only ended up with around the same number of gates. People dont choose one airline over another because they have the prettiest terminal.

The airplanes, well sure eventually they will need new ones but we need new cars in order to get to work. If we are expected to do without then the company should stretch out the service life of the planes they have before they buy new ones.

It seems to me the message changes constantly, depending on what's for sale at that particular moment by the union or company. It's a moving target as others have opined, and it's to the point with many supposedly 'loyal' TWU people, because of the constant lies, that neither company nor union could sell a whore to the Navy due to their lack of credibility.

What eludes me totally is the power Little seems to have over the locals. Is it really a matter of the lazy SOBs being so afraid of having to go back to work they'll follow the "little" liar anywhere?

It seems to me the message changes constantly, depending on what's for sale at that particular moment by the union or company. It's a moving target as others have opined, and it's to the point with many supposedly 'loyal' TWU people, because of the constant lies, that neither company nor union could sell a whore to the Navy due to their lack of credibility.

What eludes me totally is the power Little seems to have over the locals. Is it really a matter of the lazy SOBs being so afraid of having to go back to work they'll follow the "little" liar anywhere?

I'm not sure how things are in MIA but most of the board members at our Local, which is close in size and funding to MIA work their normal bid shift except when they do UB. For some that may only be one day a month.

I'm not sure how things are in MIA but most of the board members at our Local, which is close in size and funding to MIA work their normal bid shift except when they do UB. For some that may only be one day a month.

WOW! Get elected to any Office in Tulsa and you never show up to the work area again.

In fact, you are not even seen on the floor until next election cycle.

Is the UB one day a month or is working on the floor one day a month. Here in MIA its the latter.
:huh:

Latest posts