UA AND US Merger Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know how many FA's United has on furlough? Cause those of us on the bottom of seniority over here are none to pleased with this announcement.
Remember, United disposed of 100 aircraft last year, their entire fleet of 96 B737's and 4 B-747-400's. That's a lot of lost jobs, so the number of pilot and F/A job furloughs has been huge.

...we at the real USAir have been through it many times....

Wow, was that really necessary? Did it make you feel better to crush that FA, who had just received a recall letter?

Nice going.

Thanks HP! :)

To be honest, I kind of expected someone from the East camp to make a comment like that.

In any case, I found the AFA merger policy but there's no direct mention of furlough policy. It's up to each carrier and I'm having a devil of a time wading thru the UAL AFA Contract. :)

My bets are on UA-CO. The glaring hole in UA's network is NY. US is abandoning LGA
UA made the decision to abandon NY in the past decade. Remember that they had a decent intl. operation, with feeding traffic, to LHR, HKG, NRT and EZE among others. I don't even know why they are flying JFK-LAX/SFO when they are competing against AA, DL and VX anyway.

And where do you get that US is "abandoning" LGA??

I think that comes from the recent base closure and drawback of flying from LGA. Flying reduction is one thing, closing the base is another. You don't close a base and trade off slots of a location you plan to return to.

And HP, now that you mention it, you'd think we'd be able to, but I have seen some rather bad behavior out of some folks.

Its not a bad deal US would gain more of the europe and gain a new market in asia from the deal. UA and US are much smaller than they were back when they first try to merge. I believe that the jobs should be protect before any merge talks happens. Employees invested to much for them to be left out of a job!

There was also an attempted merger between United and America West in 1999: http://articles.latimes.com/1999/jan/21/entertainment/ca-336

Just sit back and take the ride..... we at the real USAir have been through it many times.... Lets see.... one thing you should be gratefull for, is the fact that UA is an afa carrier as well....... That give you....yes, you DATE OF HIRE.....
Or would you rather merge w/ an non afa carrier such as AA which would STAPLE.... and CUT anywhere they please.
So Sit back and enjoy the ride..... remember DATE of Hire.... the only way a merger should go. Sorry if you are
junior and have not been here very long to know about this sort of thing. Just sit back and relax. Things will go weather you want them to or not. IMHO... good luck.....

I don't think date of hire is something that will help any of the FA's that just got recalled. They were hired in 07. So they get to come back for recall only to be dropped again a year or so later....

Come on, Parker. Bring on that pretty little HQ from the Sand Castle to the Queen City - or as in Parker's words - the "jewel" of the US Airways system.

If Parker runs the show, it gives me good hope that Charlotte would have a good chance to score the new HQ. Charlotte is low cost compared to Chicago.

I don't think date of hire is something that will help any of the FA's that just got recalled. They were hired in 07. So they get to come back for recall only to be dropped again a year or so later....

Will this merger reinstate my pension ..... NO
Will this meger land me health care benefits when I retire .... NO
Will I get the money back I lost on US Airways stock in my 401k when the government screwed up the last UA/US merger attempt ..... NO

It's hard to get excited about it?

Come on, Parker. Bring on that pretty little HQ from the Sand Castle to the Queen City - or as in Parker's words - the "jewel" of the US Airways system.

If Parker runs the show, it gives me good hope that Charlotte would have a good chance to score the new HQ. Charlotte is low cost compared to Chicago.

These negotiations are all about UA getting CLT.

Rumor on the pilot thread about a month ago,........ Parker had purchased a house in Chicago around the begining of the year.

It might be messy, but it does two things, it keeps market share from going to OneWorld and AMR. If UAL and US merger it locks CAL and US in STAR pretty much, leaving AMR out. IF CAL and UAL merged, US would quickly hookup with AMR. this will all be very interesting.
What market share to AMR ?? Oneworld is well on it's way ahead of all the rest ( AA,BA,JAL,IB, Quantas, Finair...just to name a few ).
Also AMR is NOT intersted in US. With our new agreement with JetBlue , I see no more hook ups for AA. Look for a full merger in a few years and I expect JetBlue to get DOH so there will be no issues with the senority. They are all junior to AA employees so it's a perfect fit.

Will this merger reinstate my pension ..... NO
Will this meger land me health care benefits when I retire .... NO
Will I get the money back I lost on US Airways stock in my 401k when the government screwed up the last UA/US merger attempt ..... NO

It's hard to get excited about it?

I"M excited about it! I've wanted this merger from the start. Very compatible fleet and the two route systems fit well together and provide whatever the other lacks. Yes, I agree with DOH as it SHOULD be in any merger, that's just plain logic. AA will just staple people to the bottom of the list and make them apply for their jobs as they did with Air Cal. They have a real AAtitude and you know what they can do with it. Both US and UA have abandoned NYC and are looking elsewhere. Let B6, CO and DL slug it out there. Too much ATC and weather delays all the time anyway with low yields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back