UA AND US Merger Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have trouble imagining a worse merger than UA/US. The networks aren't very complementary, the fleets match loosely at best, and the fundamental business philosophies are nearly diametrically opposed.

Even discounting all of the above, both airlines have horrible front-line employee messes (from somewhat different causes). Tossing all of them into the cement mixer of a merger will almost surely cause the resulting airline to collapse under its own weight.

Perhaps consolidation, in a general sense, would be beneficial to the industry. I'm not convinced, though. There are a few benefits that one could typically expect from industry consolidation:
- Economies of scale
- Economies of scope
- Reduction of competition
The first two would decrease costs and/or provide additional value to customers. The third would increase revenue.

What mergers would increase economies of scale? I can't imagine any that would involve UA, US, DL, CO, or WN. All are well beyond the size where they could have larger fleets without commensurately larger everything else (maintenance facilities, reservations facilities, IT facilities, etc.). Smaller airlines may gain some economies of scale by merging, though.

What about economies of scope? Adding hubs in regions that aren't well covered can certainly help, adding value to customers. CO is weak in the west (and so is DL, to a lesser extent). UA is weak in the south. US is weak in the northwest. A CO/UA merger is probably the best fit here, though Dixieland still has marginal coverage. Prior to the DL/NW merger, DL/UA would have been better in Dixie.

As for reduction of competition, nothing would be better now than a DL/UA merger. Of course, reduction of competition is something that causes federal regulators to sit up and take notice. Maybe UA/US would have some value in competition reduction, but aside from the DC area the overlap doesn't appear to be sufficient to generate real upward price pressure.

So, in my estimation, the best remaining merger (excluding fleet and employee issues) is UA/CO. Even that one is likely to go badly if implemented. CO has done a much better job of managing profits, but UA is likely to be the dominant business model in that combination.

One final note...mergers tend to result in reductions in perceived redundancies. In airlines, this often translates to dehubbing. Decommissioned hubs can be fertile ground for new airlines to appear, or for existing airlines with little regional presence to expand. And the cycle begins anew.

Or would you rather merge w/ an non afa carrier such as AA which would STAPLE.... and CUT anywhere they please.

Did you miss the law that President Bush signed a few years back that makes your scenario impossible? The law that was partially brought into effect due to that very staple job to which you refer?

A US/AA merger would require a federally-mandated arbitration of labor seniority lists. The big guy doesn't just get to "STAPLE...and CUT anywhere they please."

One final note...mergers tend to result in reductions in perceived redundancies. In airlines, this often translates to dehubbing. Decommissioned hubs can be fertile ground for new airlines to appear, or for existing airlines with little regional presence to expand. And the cycle begins anew.
The single best comment I've read here in a long time.

U.S. Air, United in merger talks

Speaking at the Reuters Travel and Leisure Summit in February, Capt. John Prater, president of the Air Line Pilots Association union, suggested the union would back a merger between Continental and United, which he indicated made more sense than one between United and US Airways.

Airline industry consultant Michael Boyd said United's talks with US Airways might be intended to signal to Continental that they are ready to renew merger talks.

See Story

Parker Hinted at United/US Airways Merger

The New York Times reported that US Airways and United were in merger talks for at least the third time since 2000. The newspaper said that the two "are deep in their merger discussions," that "a transaction is not expected to be announced for at least several weeks," and also that "talks may still collapse" -- something worth mentioning since that is exactly what happened in 2006.

Not surprisingly, Parker's suggestion last month that the pilot contract was a barrier to a merger brought a skeptical reaction from the pilots. Scott Theuer, spokesman for the U.S. Airline Pilots Association, responded that "nothing in the pilot contract blocks a transaction." Theuer said the contract provision, negotiated as the carrier prepared to enter the 2002 bankruptcy, was intended to compensate pilots in the event that bankruptcy-linked concessions led to a successful outcome. "The company agreed to a provision which brings our pay back to where it should be," Theuer said. "Now the company says it is either not going to merge or it is going to merge and make sure we do not get what we negotiated."

See Story

AP source: United and US Airways in merger talks, picking up where 2008 talks left off

Integrating their unionized work forces would be one of the most difficult tasks if they got together. The person who spoke to AP said the companies have a plan for dealing with that issue.

See Story

US Airways, United in Talks - Renewed Courtship by the Two Carriers Would Create Nation's No. 2 Airline

See Story

United and US Airways Said to Be in Merger Talks

Terms of the deal could not be learned. One issue being worked on is the management structure of the combined company, these people said.

See Story

United and US Airways resume merger talks

A merger with United would help the combined company shed unprofitable routes and excess costs. In 2008, the airlines had targeted about $1.5bn in synergies, a figure that would have exceeded the potential deal’s purchase price. United was also concerned with US Airways’ looming obligations to pay for new aircraft, and with elements of its labour contract that would have granted pilots a significant raise following the merger. The need to reach agreement with the two carriers’ pilots unions could again prove a stumbling block to a deal.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

may be we can call it Mickey Mouse Airlines with Mickey Mouse running the combined airlines!!!! Just a little humor. I dont know what to make of this posssible merger what would happen at IAD and DCA Would the govt even allow this to go thru

Great, PHX can become Spirit's west coast hub.
If one of the west's hubs goes, it's most likely LAS. LAS is geographically a similar hub to DEN, but with worse RASM due to lower-margin O&D traffic. It's also too close to LAX and SFO to be worth it for a combined UA/US to keep.

But, yeah, PHX isn't an especially hot hub, metaphorically speaking, with the amount of WN service. Neither is LAS, for that matter, for the same reason. PHX could become a focus city, funneling traffic between California/Arizona and states from New Mexico to the Deep South.

But as I noted before, anyone traveling among the states from New Mexico to the Deep South would have no reason to care about UA or US, merged or separate.

I agree that DC would have to change. One option is to pull out of IAD, shifting to CLT and leaving DCA intact. Good for domestic revenue, but at the expense of valuable international DC O&D. The alternative of a sharp DCA reduction would have the opposite effect.

Yet another reason this merger makes little sense.

The Change of Control Provision of the East pilots contract brings up some interesting points.

Tonight the AP reported that "Integrating their (US Airways and United Airlines) unionized work forces would be one of the most difficult tasks if they got together. The person who spoke to AP said the companies have a plan for dealing with that issue."

I believe the AP's comments above are accurate and I believe we could see one of two corporate actions to deal with the current pilot labor logjam, but i could be wrong.

Before I discuss this I believe recent actions by the company are premeditated. Here is a list:

1. March 17 Crew News where Doug Parker first discusses LOA 93 Pay Freeze Grievance and the Change of Control Provision.

2. Management anticipated Mike Cleary's response where I believe the union was basically set up without even knowing it when Cleary wrote his letter to the pilot group.

3. US Airways and United planted the merger story in the New York Times and then have contacts provide bits and pieces of information to other news outlets such as Reuters, the AP, TheStreet.com, the WSJ, and the FT.

4. Tomorrow US Airways will hold another Crew News session in PHX where management will have the opportunity to negotiate directly with the pilots.

Meanwhile, I believe management has no ability to manage the company because of USAPA's position. Regardless of the Addington Appeal decision in the 9th Circuit, I believe pilots are headed for years-and-years of seniority integration problems with management having no ability to fully integrate the two companies and pilot groups.

Management Option #1 - Present USAPA and United ALPA with a comprehensive contract proposal governing pay, benefits, and seniority. The proposal would provide US Airways East pilots something like a 25% pay raise, the US Airways West pilots with a 11% pay raise, improved DC Plan, current East Sick/LTD benefit, 32 days vacation, improved duty rigs (5:15 min day, DH full pay and credit, 1:2), PBS, and improved Covered Pilot Pay.

In addition, USAPA will be required to accept the Nicolau Award II and drop all further litigation (Rico and Addington Appeals) and the West pilots will be forced to withdraw their Damages and Attorney Fees complaint scheduled to be heard by Judge Wake shortly after the pending 9th Circut decision due any day.

Next, the United pilots will be presented with the joint contract vaguely described above and they will be required to merge seniority lists via the MacCaskill-Bond amendment to the Omnibus Bill with the Airline Employee Seniority Integration Amendment.

However, there will be an option attached to the pre-merger agreement on a contract and seniority integration.

If either United ALPA or US Airways USAPA does not agree to management's proposal the company or companies could be fragmented with deals made around the current contract that could cause thousands of US Airways pilots to lose their job. And, the United pilots may consider a US Airways fragmentation the best scenario because the Chicago-based carrier has about 2,000 pilots on furlough who would love to return to work and fly US Airways' assets, which would make Glenn Tilton a hero.

What will USAPA do? They will be overrun by US Airways' pilots scared about the very real threat of unemployment; however, the BPR will wash their hands of the deal and send the company's proposal out to vote, which will be overwhelmingly ratified.

2. Management Option II - Hire Seabury advisor John Luth who will orchestrate multiple outside investors who will buy the two companies thereby not tripping the US Airways' East Pilot's Collective Bargaining Agreement Change of Control provision and complete a new contract negotiation similar to the discussion above, which was learned from Delta and Northwest's management team.

Regardless of the option above there is real value and opportunity here where United and US Airways become a global behemoth where employees have true job security and greatly improved pay, benefits, and quality of life. However, the decision could be a greatly improved contract with the Nicolau Award and a new seniority list that is Arbitrated that is really "final and binding" or the permanent loss of a US Airways' pilot's job. What will virtually every pilot do? Vote for the company's offer or vote them self out of a job and hit the unemployment line?

The interesting part remains how will USAPA react if one of my two scenarios unfolds?

According to The Street.com, Scott Theuer, spokesman for the U.S. Airline Pilots Association, responded that "nothing in the pilot contract blocks a transaction." Theuer said the contract provision, negotiated as the carrier prepared to enter the 2002 bankruptcy, was intended to compensate pilots in the event that bankruptcy-linked concessions led to a successful outcome. "The company agreed to a provision which brings our pay back to where it should be," Theuer said. "Now the company says it is either not going to merge or it is going to merge and make sure we do not get what we negotiated."

Regardless of what happens the reported that "Integrating their (US Airways and United Airlines) unionized work forces would be one of the most difficult tasks if they got together. The person who spoke to AP said the companies have a plan for dealing with that issue."

Regards,

USA320Pilot

IMO any merger would be an improvement. Do it now....................... use DOH. For those of you who are junior, that's the way it goes so get over it.

Don't all of us on this board dislike US in its current form? :) :p

David Faber said on NBC Nightly News tonight that it was likely Doug Paker and the US Airways management team would run the combined carrier. Dear lord, help us all.

Can someone explain to me why god's name this man is still entrusted with USAir and why someone thinks it will be a good idea for him to run an airline as complicated as United?

FYI, lots of upper management types from PHL and CLT have been called to PHX for an emergency meeting today. Hub Directors, Dept heads all on flights out last night or this morning. Something is going on, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back