UA CSR Positon. Can someone tell me about it?

willsmom

Jan 1, 2008
Hello-

I was just offered a job as a CSR Rep at SFO. Can anyone who has done the job or knows anything about it tell me how they like it or if I should run the other direction? I have a lot of questions that they couldn't answer. HR department is out sourced. I know the pay sucks already but was wondering what their vacation structure looks like. Do you have to wait a year before you get time. Union dues? Don't know how much? Medical? Do we pay a large part of it? Sorry for all the questions but they truely couldn't answer any of them. Also, is it true that CSR's are put in the lobby and do not work the gate or ticket counter? Any information would be extemely helpful. I am really on the fence about going forward with the job. Training doesn't start until Feb so I still have time to back out.

First, let me say, airline jobs are not what they used to be when people were tripping over themselves to get one. Working at the airport as a customer service agent used to be fun but is no longer. Since reservations outsourced, those who stayed with the company went to CS at the airport. THEY ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!!! Those of us who worked Reservations realized that we had a great job compared to CS at the airport. If you do take the job, you will probably work the lobby at first and then you will be assigned the gates. After that, if there is an opening, you can transfer to Ticketing and will undergo more training. This can take awhile before you get to Ticketing. When you feel you are ready and a job you might want is posted in the computer, you apply for it. Once you have been at the Ticket counter for a while, your next move would be Service Director. If you are professional and keep your nose clean, have excellent time management skills, don't speak to anyone except the customers and to ask for help if you need it, you will do fine. The pay is low, but the company factors into the low pay, the flight benefits you get, vacation time, health insurance, sick time (which you better not use or it counts against your time management). Those who need the money, pick up other people's shifts and work overtime when they have it. One nice thing is the flexibility of being able to trade shifts with each other if you need to be off during scheduled work hours. There are times when overtime is mandatory (Mando), especially at a large airport during weather delays. The company provides good health benefits (payroll deduction of small amount depending on plan) and, yes, you will be asked to join the union (IAM). There are a few employees who opt not to belong to the union, but you will not be protected, if a manager writes you up for an infraction and/or you get fired. If you opt to belong to the Unon, your dues will pay for Union representation during diciplinary grievance hearings and protection of your job. If you decide to take the job and somehow like it and remain with the Company for more than 10 yrs. and reach age 55, you will qualify for standby flight benefits for life. If I were you, I'd take my touchy to the airport and interview several CS agents there so you get a better feel for the job. You can also go on united.com and read up on all the benefits and job description.

First, let me say, airline jobs are not what they used to be when people were tripping over themselves to get one. Working at the airport as a customer service agent used to be fun but is no longer. Since reservations outsourced, those who stayed with the company went to CS at the airport. THEY ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!!! Those of us who worked Reservations realized that we had a great job compared to CS at the airport. If you do take the job, you will probably work the lobby at first and then you will be assigned the gates. After that, if there is an opening, you can transfer to Ticketing and will undergo more training. This can take awhile before you get to Ticketing. When you feel you are ready and a job you might want is posted in the computer, you apply for it. Once you have been at the Ticket counter for a while, your next move would be Service Director. If you are professional and keep your nose clean, have excellent time management skills, don't speak to anyone except the customers and to ask for help if you need it, you will do fine. The pay is low, but the company factors into the low pay, the flight benefits you get, vacation time, health insurance, sick time (which you better not use or it counts against your time management). Those who need the money, pick up other people's shifts and work overtime when they have it. One nice thing is the flexibility of being able to trade shifts with each other if you need to be off during scheduled work hours. There are times when overtime is mandatory (Mando), especially at a large airport during weather delays. The company provides good health benefits (payroll deduction of small amount depending on plan) and, yes, you will be asked to join the union (IAM). There are a few employees who opt not to belong to the union, but you will not be protected, if a manager writes you up for an infraction and/or you get fired. If you opt to belong to the Unon, your dues will pay for Union representation during diciplinary grievance hearings and protection of your job. If you decide to take the job and somehow like it and remain with the Company for more than 10 yrs. and reach age 55, you will qualify for standby flight benefits for life. If I were you, I'd take my touchy to the airport and interview several CS agents there so you get a better feel for the job. You can also go on united.com and read up on all the benefits and job description.

Thank you so much Novaqt. It is funny that you mentioned me taking a trip over to SFO and to interview a few CSR's. I was going to do that so my plan was a good one. I just think it is weird that you need seperate training for the ticket counter when jetBlue has you doing all 3 and trains you for it in the very beginning. I had a job offer from them but had to have some minor surgery and couldn't take the job. I am really not sure at this point what I am going to do but your post helped so once again, thanks alot!

I worked IADCS for many years and agree with NOVAQT. It's grueling and exhausting, and rewarding and exciting, in its own way. You can help people in unique ways, and really can impact peoples lives. It's hard work, it isn't what it used to be.... but, if it's for you, you can't beat it!

SFO is a hub station, it's more compartmentalized than Jet Blue. Jet Blue has a much smaller operation there, so their staffing needs are quite different. United, at one point, had 900 CSRs at IAD, so we could "specialize" and work areas were defined and bid for. At a line station, with fewer employees, everybody does everything.

I can only speak for myself, I have been out sick for a while, and I do miss it very much. It gets in your blood quickly. It's very stressful, and energizing at the same time.

Good suggestion to talk to SEVERAL CSRs at SFO. Remember it takes all types to make the world go round, there are happy CSRs, and unhappy CSRs (a little like everywhere else in life!!)

My best to you, if this what you want, go for it! Where else do you encounter people who seriously commute to various parts of the country on a weekly basis!

I worked IADCS for many years and agree with NOVAQT. It's grueling and exhausting, and rewarding and exciting, in its own way. You can help people in unique ways, and really can impact peoples lives. It's hard work, it isn't what it used to be.... but, if it's for you, you can't beat it!

SFO is a hub station, it's more compartmentalized than Jet Blue. Jet Blue has a much smaller operation there, so their staffing needs are quite different. United, at one point, had 900 CSRs at IAD, so we could "specialize" and work areas were defined and bid for. At a line station, with fewer employees, everybody does everything.

I can only speak for myself, I have been out sick for a while, and I do miss it very much. It gets in your blood quickly. It's very stressful, and energizing at the same time.

Good suggestion to talk to SEVERAL CSRs at SFO. Remember it takes all types to make the world go round, there are happy CSRs, and unhappy CSRs (a little like everywhere else in life!!)

My best to you, if this what you want, go for it! Where else do you encounter people who seriously commute to various parts of the country on a weekly basis!

UALIADCS- Thank you for your input. All of this really helps. I went to SFO the other day and what a joke! It was so busy because of the holiday that I couldn't even talk to anyone. I should have known better. I do have a couple of questions if you see this post and you don't mind. Or if anyone else sees this please feel free to answer. When you first became a CSR what was your first shift? Also, how long was it before you were able to work the gates? Do you get vacation after a year or do they let you take time after 6 months? I know you can trade shifts and they are pretty flexable about that. My other concern about the job is the fact that I may not be getting a raise for 2 years because SFO is paid at a higher rate than the rest of the Bay Area by $2.00 an hour. I believe this is in the union contract. I know if I transfer to another department than that would be different. I actually have a management back ground with previously a lot of financial responsibility in a retail capacity. I was a buyer and a planning manager for the last 20 years but wanted to make a career change after I had surgery this year. This is what I always wanted to do but have to admit that I am very spoiled. I know that who ever is reading this is probably laughing right now when I tell you that I worked no nights and no weekends and had 5 weeks vacation and made a very, very good salary but some times it isn't about the money. I was miserable. Anyway, thanks again and I am open to as much feed back as you guys want to give me.

Traditionally, speaking for IAD, you start with the crappy shifts. Shifts are bid by seniority, and often the senior agents want to work the mornings. However, depending on station activity, you can move up the seniority list rather quickly, and be working mornings/days/whatever quickly. It's all variable. As a CSR you work your scheduled days, if they are holidays, some can be traded off, some are, per the contract, not tradeable. So, plan your year/or however long you will work "the bid" around your needs as best possible. You get vacation after your first year. The amount of vacation depends on when you start with the company.

You have other options, though. Many people come to UA as CSRs as a starting point, moving out of CS to other departments either as salary or management.

Your salary is in the contract. I would think there's a raise after 1 year, but it needs to be checked out. Our new hires, after they finish training, bid lines and some get gate lines immediately. Don't know how SFO works. Try going when it's not a busy time, on a Tues/Wednesday.

I understand taking a big salary cut to do something you really want. If this is your "heartbeat" go for it. My work career included working in Hollywood, for UAL, and a "traditional desk job". The desk job was the worst. It was a "ball and chain" even thought it was the easiest job with good pay. Do what you need to do for you.

Latest posts

Back