Ua Mechanics Threaten Strike

Connected1

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
UA Mechanics Threaten Strike

In this situation, would UA necessarily have to cease ops immediately or could they scale back somewhat and pick up immediate help from FBOs or other carriers? Any chance that AA mechs would help fill the gaps, especially in ORD?

Connected1 said:

In this situation, would UA necessarily have to cease ops immediately or could they scale back somewhat and pick up immediate help from FBOs or other carriers? Any chance that AA mechs would help fill the gaps, especially in ORD?
[post="266072"][/post]​

If UAL AMTs went on strike why would AA AMTs work on UAL a/c? There isn't a chance in Hell that I'd work on any struck airline's a/c. Perhaps the twu alias posting cowards but not a true union man.

Now before cio or his many alter egos start blathering, if a AA supervisor sends an AA AMT to go over to a UAL a/c, (assuming they do strike), that AA AMT has to go. But there is a BIG difference in "going" to an a/c and "working" an a/c.

If UAL AMTs do strike EVERY airline union employee should walk the picket lines with them.

Connected1 said:

[post="266072"][/post]​

Last question first... I seriously doubt any AA mechanic would touch struck work. As a manager, I wouldn't want to put my folks in the position of having to even appear to be crossing the picket line at another company.

What UAL choses to try and contract out is their problem, but they'll have a hard time finding someone willing to do the work onshore.

As Ken said, we can give the directive to go over to UAL, but even with a no-strike/no-lockout clause, I don't believe any employer can force an employee to perform struck work.

The only possible exception I can think of is where a pre-existing contract exists to perform services on the struck company's behalf, i.e. performing on-call services in a specific city where UAL doesn't have their own mechanics.

Lastly, though (and most likely to draw fire from Fly and other UAL folks)....

Aside a situation where a UA customer's safety was involved, why would we want to help UAL out? We'd be better off letting them fall further into the abyss.

Lee Seham attorney for Amfa said Saturday, Amfa would not call for a strike. He believes in following the law and the courts will direct them. (BK1113c).

The members have already voted to strike and Amfa national has called it off once, so what makes you think they will listen to the members wishes?

Or will Amfa follow on the coat tails of the IAM?

United where 13,000 thousand members were eligible to vote during the amfa representational elections and 6800 members left today.

perhaps they will follow on the coat tails of the TWU and grant more concessions AND layoffs :up: ......NOOOOOOOOT!

I don't think any AA amt's are qualified to work on any UA A/C in any case. UA logbooks, manuals, policies and procedures, A320's, etc. are all different stuff.

Checking it Out said:
Lee Seham attorney for Amfa said Saturday, Amfa would not call for a strike. He believes in following the law and the courts will direct them. (BK1113c).
The members have already voted to strike and Amfa national has called it off once, so what makes you think they will listen to the members wishes?

United where 13,000 thousand members were eligible to vote during the amfa representational elections and 6800 members left today.
[post="266126"][/post]​

You're so full of sh*t. At least quote the man correctly, but then again you have never spoken the truth. The initial strike as he stated after a judge cancels the contract in his legal opinion is legal. The T.R.O that will follow within seconds of a strike, just like the APA strike, he would have to "advise" them to honor it. Now he did go on to state that the 13th Admendment was passed in this country which restricts slavery and no judge can force a worker against his will to return to work.

Now you clearly know that over 16,000 workers were declared eligible to vote in the 2001 attempt for an election. 13,000 were eligible in the 2003 election, only 7,000 remained on the property when AMFA won the election and took over in July 2003 thanks to the IAM. Not sure why you continue to spew the same sh*t, but then again you can't give us one good thing the twu has done for the labor movement over the past 25 years.

Connected1 said:

In this situation, would UA necessarily have to cease ops immediately or could they scale back somewhat and pick up immediate help from FBOs or other carriers?  Any chance that AA mechs would help fill the gaps, especially in ORD?
[post="266072"][/post]​

How could AA mechs help UAL when they can barely get done what they have to at AA?

If UAL went on strike AA would need every plane they have. They couldnt let them just sit anymore. Nor do I see why AA would want to Help UAL.

If UAL goes on strike it could stir things up at other airlines where there is already a lot of discontent. There is a good chance that AAs mechs would not work OT, since they have gone so long without it, they dont want it any more. Just a few weeks ago I heard a mechanic say "F you and your OT, I've learned to get by without it" when he was asked if he wanted to stay. Sure some work the little that is offered, but many dont. Most have found work elswhere to make up for what they lost and they dont want to put that at risk for the sporadic OT that is offered by the company.

Its even more likely that they would want to show support for their fellow mechanics at UAL than do anything to help out any carrier. Those who work now would likely stop working if they thought the OT was generated on the backs of their fellow mechanics at UAL.

Checking it Out said:

[post="266126"][/post]​
AMFA never called off a strike idiot. The judge has not abrogated the contract, I believe once that is done, only then is a legal strike permitted under the RLA.

Ride the iam's coat tails... you mean coat tails like at US Airways where the M@R directed by the worthless iam has been bent over no less than three times for concessions!!?? "Will strike if Provoked" right dipsheet!!!???

How about the new 514 union hall??? Voted down not less than 3 times and twu International still proceeding with the plans. Is this what you mean by "listen to the members wishes"??? Hmmm... me thinks someone with burnt neck has burnt brain cells.

You are nothing but coward and a liar cio....proven once again.... :down: :down: :down:

Amazing.... A simple question over what AA would do if there were a strike at UAL turns into yet another catfight....

Ain't gonna happen. A general strike, legal or not, would likely shut the company down permanently. Tilton know this and will call the mechs bluff. No way will they call a general strike.

Former ModerAAtor said:
Amazing.... A simple question over what AA would do if there were a strike at UAL turns into yet another catfight....
[post="266208"][/post]​
I know, its amazing the lengths the compAAny and twu clowns will lie to stop a simple legit vote. They are so worried the twu will lose. I wonder why.

Back on topic, if and when 'da judge abrogates the contracts, AMFA will strike. There is nothing left to stay for at UAL. A viable UAL management team to bring the airline out of BK is long gone.

Excuse me for my intrusion into this thread, But I would like to add my 2¢ if it’s not too rude.

JHMO, AMFA is out here all by our lonesome. We expect any and all other unions to cross our picket lines and grab as much as they can for we are not afl-cio affiliated. The afl-cio affiliated Unions(?) will lie, cheat, and deceive their membership to protect crossing a ‘Unionized’ picket line and working struck work.

We in the ‘USA’ are at the end of organized labor era. Using ‘affiliations’ to change the definition of Unions and Unionism has been the downfall of organized labor in this country as we feed on ourselves. When ‘Union’(s) capitulate and allow ‘No Strike/Will Cross’ language into their collective bargaining agreements, then they are no longer a Union but simply another business unit. A business ‘tool’ working against the theology of Unionism.

You are either a ‘Union’ and adhere to the Union philosophy, are a tool.

As for myself, I’d rather be a ‘Union’ than a ‘Tool’!!!

Will the AA/TWU ( or any other afl-cio Union(?) for that matter) respect our strike?
I personally do not care. I know what is the right thing to do and will live by my decision without the support of my ‘Union’(?) Brothers and Sisters.

Why AMFA?

Why be a ‘Tool’ when you can be a ‘Union’?

B) UT

I don't believe that AA managemnt would even think of letting their employees work on UA a/c while a strike was in progress. AA would not want their employees to appear as scabs. Just my thoughts........

Latest posts