Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
OBSERVER EXCLUSIVE
Union could clear way for strike
Gate workers to vote on whether to authorize action
STAN CHOE
Staff Writer

US Airways' reservation, customer-service and gate agents will vote in coming days whether to authorize a strike, according to a source familiar with the union's plans, as the struggling airline seeks to slash their wages further and outsource their jobs.

Registration Might be required-Free

However, the airline said even the threat of a strike may be enough to scare away passengers already skeptical about whether the airline will be flying months from now.

And an actual strike would kill the company, said Chris Chiames, senior vice president of corporate affairs.

"The act of a strike would result in an immediate shutdown and liquidation of the airline," he said. "So this is irresponsible grandstanding of the highest level. This serves no purpose in getting a consensual deal and completing our restructuring."

And.....Dr B's (aka Bigmouth) comments about liquidation etc to the press, not once but twice were exactly what then? :rolleyes: :shock:
There are current plans to leaflet in several cities and the strike vote is just in preparation should something be forced on the CWA without the company negotiating anything other than "their" proposal.

PITbull said:
I think they mean picketing and leafleting.

Its illegal to strike because CWA has a contract in place...unless there is a "major dispute"...
[post="195775"][/post]​

Nope. According to the article they're talking about a real strike. The dispute would be over the judge throwing out their contract. I doubt they would do it, but the strike vote may send a strong message and may be their only card to play at this point.

700UW said:
OBSERVER EXCLUSIVE
Union could clear way for strike
Gate workers to vote on whether to authorize action
STAN CHOE
Staff Writer

Registration Might be required-Free
[post="195773"][/post]​
ATTENTION: Date Line Pit, the one Mr. IAM himself:

At this point, resisting the negotiating process "can be used against you," Freiberger said.

The judge, according to bankruptcy law, is more likely to abrogate contracts if a union refuses to accept a company cost-cutting proposal "without good cause."

"You really have no choice," Freiberger said.

Exactly so.

Management/labor negotiations are akin to the old joke about the painless dentist.

A young lady with a toothache enters a dentist's office, who advertises painless dental procedures.

Just as the dentist is about to go to work on the lady's tooth, he gasps, "Young lady, you have grabbed my balls!"

The lass replies, "That's right, and we're not going to hurt each other, are we?"

If the company thinks labor won't squeeze, they will drill at will.

Tens of thousands of loyal employees have given their best for U to survive. Until recently, and with all of the turmoil that is US Airways, U has been among the DOT metrics leaders (actually, I believe that fact convinces the Palace that employees are overpaid - the job is still getting done, and hence, employees must be happy).

Many of those employees have concluded that they are unwilling to ensure U's BK exit with their personal BK entry.

I sincerely hope the IAM takes an action similiar to CWA's, but am not holding my breath.

Lastly, for the "better to have this job than no job" arguement. Have you seriously read the offer to the agents? The offer is designed to drive employees away, as other jobs (yes, there will be life after U) offer the same or better.

diogenes said:
Lastly, for the "better to have this job than no job" arguement. Have you seriously read the offer to the agents? The offer is designed to drive employees away, as other jobs (yes, there will be life after U) offer the same or better.
[post="195807"][/post]​
Please include what they want from the IAM, which will end up being close to exactly what is stated.

One can ABSOLUTEY do better, I KNOW because I did.

There remains ZERO reason for a mechanic at U to stay who is over 50 years of age. ZERO reason!

The younger mechanics should place their resumes in the hands of a sane company and to hell with U and it's sorry state where people are tortured daily.

This is “my" opinion and of course the mechanics will do as they may.

I just hope the majority escapes, they deserve better and are better than what U intents for them.

cavalier said:
ATTENTION: Date Line Pit, the one Mr. IAM himself:

At this point, resisting the negotiating process "can be used against you," Freiberger said.

The judge, according to bankruptcy law, is more likely to abrogate contracts if a union refuses to accept a company cost-cutting proposal "without good cause."

"You really have no choice," Freiberger said.
[post="195806"][/post]​

You need to get your unions striaght... Freiberger doesn't speak for them, they have their own opinions! Just as everybody has the right to at this point.

Whether or not the naysayers on this board want to admit it, there is still more than one voice (the companies) involoved in this process!

Imamec said:
You need to get your unions striaght... Freiberger doesn't speak for them, they have their own opinions! Just as everybody has the right to at this point.

Whether or not the naysayers on this board want to admit it, there is still more than one voice (the companies) involoved in this process!
[post="195813"][/post]​
Excuse me!

This is a big man at the IAM, ask 700UW another man you wants to big a big man in the IAM. He certainly does speak for the IAM especially since it will affect all those mechanics. Do you believe he is kidding or joking or slandering his own name in the papers. That was from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.

Want a link?

One more point: If you're implying the unions have any kind of leverage then you are deluding yourself. It will be as they stated or U will go away completely and probably will regardless considering the obstacles in the way beside labor strife.

PineyBob said:
Weapons? What weapons? Unfortunately you have 2 choices.

1. Eat the dog food that the company puts in front of you! At least until you find a company that has better tasting dog food.

2. Strike or use ANY action that cause negative publicity and watch as the dog dish immediately ceases to be filled.

It's just that simple really. The jig is up! It may be up whether you "roll over" or not. But it is for sure over if you bare your fangs and snarl & growl.
[post="195831"][/post]​

PineyBob, you're talking to flea-ridden dogs here: abused, mangy, itchy, starving, and about to bite anything because it's the only satisfaction left in life. This isn't dogs playing poker.

EyeInTheSky said:
PineyBob, you're talking to flea-ridden dogs here: abused, mangy, itchy, starving, and about to bite anything because it's the only satisfaction left in life. This isn't dogs playing poker.
[post="195834"][/post]​
I think you know his meaning and I agree with his point.

Self Help mean finding another job, so you can buy dog food :p

Good point Piney---if you dont like it leave--numbers of pilots have put in their papers effective Dec 1. All you have to do is walk away and all the stress and worry with be behind you.

To Cathy Lee, a US Airways customer-assistance representative in Charlotte, a yes vote on the company's contract offer is essentially a vote to give away her job.

She said Wednesday that she is especially upset that US Airways' managers took only 5 percent to 10 percent pay cuts after receiving raises that averaged 4 percent earlier this year.

What Ms. Lee fails to mention is with the paycut the managers took they are paid along the same lines as managers at the LCC's and less than most of them. I guess the CWA forgot to mention that in their talking points memo huh? How convienient... <_<

At some point we need to stand up .....It is not our wages that are going to save this company. No matter what... we need to stand up to this ^%$%# ......So what This attack on our wages is getting out of control they have been bitching about our wages for years now they have what they want and when you vote you should vote to strike if need be...

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ....STAND UP FOR YOUR SELF

LUV MAKES MONEY WITH HIGHER WAGERS .....WAKE UP!!!!!!!!

Latest posts