Unions are helping to kill Unions.

Your brethern in the TWU are doing their very best to destroy the entire union structure in this country.

And I am glad to see it happening.

For those who do not follow the news, this is happening in NYC. The government employees of the Metropolitan Transit Authority are staging an illegal strike, a la PATCO, against the City of New York.

This illegal strike is costing the City of New York approximately $400,000,000.00 per day. That's 400 MILLION DOLLARS.

That doesn't take into account the money it is costing all the Mom&Pop businesses who may now have to go out of business because of this illegal strike.

I bet you guys are proud to be Union like the TWU guys are.

Unions were badly needed many years ago but times have changed and there are now many laws to protect workers that could previously only be accomplished by Unions.

The TWU workers in New York City are paid more than the New York Police or Firefighters. I guess it is because the subway drivers must put their lives on the line every day.

The TWU is displaying their incredible stupidity in pulling this illegal strike at Christmas. This is the time of the year when many companies make up in money for the lean times. If companies can't recover at Christmas time, they may have to lay people off. Thanks to the TWU.

The entire TWU staff of the MTA should be immediately fired as were the striking Air Traffic Controllers who belonged to PATCO.

I know most of you don't live in NYC and could probably care less about the strike but this action is being seen all around the entire country and is showing the damage that can be caused by union action. It's not very good publicity for all of you union members.

And I hope it is serving the purpose of putting the final nails in the coffin.
You must be a bush supporter...other wise you wouldnt be so blind to the facts.
If it wasnt for the union we all would be working for pennies.No insurance no senority. the laws wouldnt protect anyone, there only concern is the companyand if the transit workers are making more its because Unions work.
Planners making as much as a mechanic is ridiculous...there
secratarys.all because of a union.Look at the economy...doing so great because of laws that you think protect workers.Unions protect workers not laws...laws protect companys...You need to go down to wallmart and work so your properly protected..with your plannig experiance you could plan on the next shipment of lawn and garden.and get your 7 dollars an hour pay that you obiously deserve.go to a message board that concerns you. this about Usairways and not northwest or nyc transit.
and if you dont like unions quit your union job and let someone have it that deserves it.

This illegal strike is costing the City of New York approximately $400,000,000.00 per day. That's 400 MILLION DOLLARS.

So to look at this from another perspective, those transit workers are providing a service which brings the City of New York approximately $400,000,000.00 per day. Just something to think about.

Also the crux of the disagreement wasnt so much the pay, but more the pension issue. With middle class wages staying flat or falling over the last 5 years or so, I guess its the last lemmon left to squeeze. But alas, I am relatively young and have never even sniffed a pension.

So to look at this from another perspective, those transit workers are providing a service which brings the City of New York approximately $400,000,000.00 per day. Just something to think about.

Also the crux of the disagreement wasnt so much the pay, but more the pension issue. With middle class wages staying flat or falling over the last 5 years or so, I guess its the last lemmon left to squeeze. But alas, I am relatively young and have never even sniffed a pension.
The bottom line is that you probably never will recieve a pension, and dont count on social security helping out any either. Odds are it wont see solvency past 2025. The ONLY person who can take care of you is you. PERIOD! Unions, the govt, and all the well intentioned social programs in the world are not going be able to look out for your interests as well as you can. Start now with IRA's Real estate, stocks, whatever investments suit your situation, but whatever you do, DONT delude yourself that someone else is going to be there. This country was built on the principles of rugged individualism, and the ability to take ones destiny into ones own hand. Unfortunately, we have lost this capability as we have become a nation of entitlements and dependence on govt to solve all our problems.
when its fourth and long..winners want the ball!

CSAR GYRENE said:
Once, this was true. In those sweet days of John Wayne, Roy Rogers and Miss Kitty, a person could expect to work hard and make a life for themselves.

How many small businesses, mom and pop shops, can make it today?

Cases in point: There was a hardware store in the neighborhood we all loved. Had been there forever. It was a Certe rite of passage to sent there on the mission to get that "left-handed screwdriver." The owner always told us, "Sorry, tell your Dad they're on back-order."

A few years ago, my brother tells me the store is closing. He went to high school with the son now running the busisness. "Can't compete with Wal-Mart and Home Depot." Really sad to see three generations of hard work down the drain.

My long time dry cleaner recently retired. He had to, couldn't compete with the big chains and their bargain discounts. That guy always saw me pull into the parking lot and had my stufff waiting before I walked in the door. Always replaced buttons and made minor repairs for me as needed, without me asking. I wished him well but I could see he was sad to see his store get bought out.

Local restaurant, family owned and operated for years. Great food, great service at fair prices. Soon to be closing its doors. Can't stay open and make a profit with McD's, Burger King and Pizza Hut on every corner.

Would unions have made a difference in these cases? No.

It's just the business of Corporate America.

So what happens to us, the citizens who pay taxes? What happens to us when we can't get jobs on which to be taxed?

The troubles are far and away deeper than unions.

It's Corporate Greed that's the problem. They just can't produce a good left-handed screwdriver and we are all going to be worse off for it.

Dea

So could someone please explain to me what a strike by the NYC mass transit workers has to do with Northwest Airlines? This is a NWA forum isnt it? FPJ you do understand that dont you or is that to much for your feeble mind to understand?
Well, first of all, you're in "The Water Cooler" section, not the NWA forum. Secondly, I guess the issues of striking during all the mayhem with the ecomony and the airlines, is somewhat relevent. Unions are not killing other Unions, their LEADERS are!