United Fleet Plans

eolesen said:
We'll see, but as TSH noted, the new management seems to be intent on maintaining the "all Boeing" approach that CO had. The decision to have an orphan fleet of 35 aircraft or getting another 35 77W's and having all of the commonality with the other 77's on property seems like a pretty simple decision to me, but getting out of the contract will take a little more effort.
In the days of power by the hour, vendors managing parts, etc. I am just not sure that the commonality thing matters. 

As it is now, UA is dumping 787s if they add 77Ws...... 

topDawg said:
In the days of power by the hour, vendors managing parts, etc. I am just not sure that the commonality thing matters.
Stop thinking like a mechanic for a moment, and think about other aspects like pilots, catering, ground equipment, training...

Reactions: 1 person
eolesen said:
Stop thinking like a mechanic for a moment, and think about other aspects like pilots, catering, ground equipment, training...
Even if one takes that in

No one cares about that kind of stuff anymore. 
Again, at least half if not more of every airline that has A350s on order, also has 787s on order. 
Right plane for the right route. Matching capacity with demand etc. etc. 

I don't believe that half of A350 airlines are 1) stupid 2) about to cancel one of the two. 

"Our purchase commitment for 18 B-787-8 aircraft and option agreements for B-767-300ER, B-767-400ER and B-777-200LR aircraft provide for certain aircraft substitution rights."

page 19, DL's 2014 10K

there is no statement about substitution rights for any other firm order aircraft for DL or any statements about substitution rights for UA.

topDawg said:

As it is now, UA is dumping 787s if they add 77Ws...... 

Thats the way it looks like its going to get done. The CFO has been stating it'd be a 787-for-777 swap out, Boeing seems motivated to make the deal happen, I hope to see the new metal soon.

WorldTraveler said:
"Our purchase commitment for 18 B-787-8 aircraft and option agreements for B-767-300ER, B-767-400ER and B-777-200LR aircraft provide for certain aircraft substitution rights."

page 19, DL's 2014 10K

there is no statement about substitution rights for any other firm order aircraft for DL or any statements about substitution rights for UA.
you didn't answer my question, when has Delta said anywhere, that they would have swapped 787s for 737s when they made the 100 737 order? That is what you said so please prove it. 

ThirdSeatHero said:

Thats the way it looks like its going to get done. The CFO has been stating it'd be a 787-for-777 swap out, Boeing seems motivated to make the deal happen, I hope to see the new metal soon.
From what I have heard its 10 787s for 10 777s. 
sounds like United is wanting out of the 747 game (or starting out of the 747 game) a little sooner than the A35Js can get here. 

a number of fleet items from UA's earnings release.

•Complete the removal of more than 130 50-seat aircraft from its schedule by the end of 2015. UAL will remove additional 50-seat aircraft in 2016 and beyond as aircraft come off lease.
•Exchange 10 787 orders with Boeing for 10 777-300ERs for delivery beginning in 2016. The new 777-300ER aircraft will provide attractive upgauge and range opportunities to the company at competitive economics.
•Extend the life of 11 additional 767-300ER aircraft. The company now plans to extend the life of all 21 767-300ER through investments in winglets, reliability improvements and interior modifications, which will improve financial performance and make the aircraft more customer pleasing.
•Reconfigure and transition 10 777-200 aircraft currently used in international markets into the domestic network, and position a number of its trans-Atlantic 757-200 fleet into the domestic and Latin markets, with the extension of the 767-300ER aircraft.
•Acquire additional used narrowbody aircraft. The company is in final negotiations regarding the lease of 10 to 20 used narrowbody aircraft for delivery over the next few years. In addition, the company plans to continue to seek other opportunities to acquire used aircraft to meet its needs as market conditions allow.

WorldTraveler said:
a number of fleet items from UA's earnings release.

•Complete the removal of more than 130 50-seat aircraft from its schedule by the end of 2015. UAL will remove additional 50-seat aircraft in 2016 and beyond as aircraft come off lease.
Exchange 10 787 orders with Boeing for 10 777-300ERs for delivery beginning in 2016. The new 777-300ER aircraft will provide attractive upgauge and range opportunities to the company at competitive economics.
•Extend the life of 11 additional 767-300ER aircraft. The company now plans to extend the life of all 21 767-300ER through investments in winglets, reliability improvements and interior modifications, which will improve financial performance and make the aircraft more customer pleasing.
•Reconfigure and transition 10 777-200 aircraft currently used in international markets into the domestic network, and position a number of its trans-Atlantic 757-200 fleet into the domestic and Latin markets, with the extension of the 767-300ER aircraft.
•Acquire additional used narrowbody aircraft. The company is in final negotiations regarding the lease of 10 to 20 used narrowbody aircraft for delivery over the next few years. In addition, the company plans to continue to seek other opportunities to acquire used aircraft to meet its needs as market conditions allow.
and it sounds like these wont be replacing 744s. 

Sounds like the A35J order is as safe as ever...... 

topDawg said:
and it sounds like these wont be replacing 744s.
Indirectly, they do. The 773's would allow 10 of the oldest remaining 744s to be retired prior to 2018, which is when the 350's show up.

eolesen said:
Indirectly, they do. The 773's would allow 10 of the oldest remaining 744s to be retired prior to 2018, which is when the 350's show up.
my understanding is the 77Ws are replacing 10 772 and 2 744s. The 744s are going bye bye and the 772s are going to domestic flying. 

Take the spin however you want to. I see more 744's going away, especially if the Asian economic situation doesn't turn around.

eolesen said:
Take the spin however you want to. I see more 744's going away, especially if the Asian economic situation doesn't turn around.
All i can go with is what the executives said. They are heading to EWR to fly some 77E routes. Those 77Es will take over some 77A routes and be converted to domestic config. 

I don't see United pulling 20 or more 777/744s with no replacements. That means cutting routes....