Will the 777X be DL's next generation widebody

Status
Not open for further replies.
WorldTraveler said:
AA did convert some of their 787 orders to 787-9. Boeing's site says AA has 12 787-8s on order which is a small subfleet compared to their 767s if AA does intend to take 787-8s.
No, you got that backwards.   In 2008,  AA ordered 42 787-9s.    As part of the bankruptcy restructuring of that agreement,  AA and Boeing agreed that AA could substitute up to 20 787-8s instead of the 787-9s originally ordered.    That conversion was so that AA could begin flying 787s earlier than if it waited for the 787-9s.      

Two 787-8s are scheduled for delivery to AA in late 2014.

I agree that the 787-8, being a shrink, isn't the optimal aircraft, and that the 787-9s make more sense.    Especially given the industry-wide standard now of lie-flat J seats, which take up a lot of real estate.    It's not all about the total number of Y seats you can cram in, it's also about how many lightweight square feet you can fly so that everyone in Biz can enjoy direct aisle access.    

The -8 wasnt the shrink, its the base model, thats why it was built first.

On another note, DL will be be using the 777L next year for one flight a day between ATL-LHR, you criticized AA for sending a 773 to LHR, lets see your spin on this one.

Reactions: 1 person
700UW said:
The -8 wasnt the shrink, its the base model, thats why it was built first.

On another note, DL will be be using the 777L next year for one flight a day between ATL-LHR, you criticized AA for sending a 773 to LHR, lets see your spin on this one.
He doesn't need to justify anything to you, DL has a whole department called network planning that works with revenue management to make capacity and route decisions. Give it up company boy sounds you are upset DL didn't consult with you.

Josh

Who the heck do you think you are?

I wasnt talking to you, I was asking WT his opinion since he chastised AA for sending the 773 to LHR.

I will do what I want, as long as I follow the board's TOS, if you dont like it I suggest you use the ignore feature.

Go rob some more clients and keep up JP Morgan's fraud, $13 billion and counting.

Reactions: 2 people
thank you, FWAAA.

As always, I am glad to have the opportunity to chat with you.

Am I correct that UA's 787s do not have direct aisle access for every seat in business class? do you know was that a post-merger UA decision or a CO decision?

You aren't aware that DL has used an occasional 777 to/from Europe for several years, usually from DTW. These flights are a product of DL's longhaul schedules which means either leaving aircraft on the ground longer than necessary or flying it on another shorter flight. There is also a 777LR on DTW-LHR according to current schedules. DL also has 77Ls from ATL to JNB, DXB, and LAX.

If both remain, the more significant news is that DL has 2 77Ls buried in its schedule that it could use to start an additional very long haul route if it wanted to.

Part of the reason for the 77Ls on the Atlantic is probably because DL is putting 744s on both LAX and SEA-NRT next summer. LAX-NRT has been a 77L. Perhaps they are looking to push another carrier or two out of a west coast-Japan route after their success with UA at SEA. DL's capacity to Tokyo from the west coast is not much changed despite the pulldown of SFO-NRT. DL has 744s to NRT from the 4 corners of ATL, JFK, SEA, and LAX.

two TATL 77L flights is significantly different from a couple dozen flights/day to LHR and S. America, all of which are less than 10 hours each. The rest of DL's 777s (which does include the LRs) have the longest average stage length of any fleet type by any US carrier.

Who do you think you are? DL makes adjustments to markets, that is business as usual in the airline industry. A few years ago AA operated 777s from BOS-MIA but not anymore. Give it up, move on. LHR is a competitive market and DL had spare capacity to send there and with the new JV with Virgin Atlantic they probably see value adding feed to LHR. Why does USAIR send 332s to MCO? Isn't that a waste of an aircraft more capable to run lucrative routes? Even if they would be sitting in CLT/PHL all day they could optimize the schedule better.

Josh

WorldTraveler said:
Am I correct that UA's 787s do not have direct aisle access for every seat in business class? do you know was that a post-merger UA decision or a CO decision?
2-2-2 configuration so unless you are seated in the center section, no. The configuration was set before the merger and it is the pre-merger CO flatbed seat product that has also made its way to sUA ps 757s and former domestic 763s for two-cabin international service.

Josh

robbedagain said:
When did aa operate the 77s from bos to mia or was it a europe to bos to mia run?
Robbed, it was back in winter 2007-2008. It left MIA around 11am and operated the ~3:30pm departure back to MIA. They rotated the aircraft during downtime between South America flying. Three-cabin configuration sold as two cabins, 16 flagship suites in FC and the 35/37 C seats were available for Gold/Platinum/Exec Plat members to select but you only got the enhanced seat-they wouldn't hang your jacket, no meals, free liquor, etc.

In the past there have also been 763s BOS-MIA. Until last year AA regularly operated 763s BOS-LAX too but that is now all 738 and 757s.

Josh

Don't remember 777s on BOS-MIA but a few years ago, when AA still operated BOS-LHR (with nothing but 777s),  the morning flight didn't operate on Saturdays, and instead, AA flew the 777 from BOS to SDQ and back.    

And, of course, before AA retired its fleet of 34 A300s in 2008-09,  AA had multiple daily A300 flights between MIA and MCO.   Plus nearly every flight from JFK and MIA to SJU were also A300s.   

2-2-2 configuration so unless you are seated in the center section, no. The configuration was set before the merger and it is the pre-merger CO flatbed seat product that has also made its way to sUA ps 757s and former domestic 763s for two-cabin international service.

Josh
thanks.... just realized CO has 2-1-2 in business on their 764s... I was thinking it was the same 1-2-1 as DL. Hard to believe that CO didn't realize the value of direct aisle access.

UA will be at a disadvantage.

BTW, there are rumors of 77L nonstop service to a certain city in SE Asia that has just lost nonstop service to the US by their hometown airline.

FWAAA said:
Don't remember 777s on BOS-MIA but a few years ago, when AA still operated BOS-LHR (with nothing but 777s),  the morning flight didn't operate on Saturdays, and instead, AA flew the 777 from BOS to SDQ and back.    

And, of course, before AA retired its fleet of 34 A300s in 2008-09,  AA had multiple daily A300 flights between MIA and MCO.   Plus nearly every flight from JFK and MIA to SJU were also A300s.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/3636638

Josh

WorldTraveler said:
I don't believe AA is buying the 788.

As for enhanced 332s or a 763 replacement, the aircraft Market as well DL's network could change in the several years before DL could acquire further aircraft. The 332s in DL's config are only about 15 seats more than the 787... that is not a whole lot more capacity.

Since DL isn't taking any 787s for years, I doubt very seriously that they will ever be 788s. If anything, I'm far more willing to bet that the 777 (either -300ERs) or the new Xs) will be the 744 replacements and take the place of the 787 orders.
So you honestly expect Delta to drop most of its TATL flying? Delta pushed the 788s out just for 767/744 replacement. Why didn't they change then? 

15 seats across 30-40 flights a day sure as heck is a good bit of capacity. Some of the markets can't even handle seasonal service on 763s...

WT, not trying to be a dick, but your really proving how little you know in general about aircraft and other airlines. AA had nothing but 789s on order...and cut the order of 42 down to 30 and added 12 788s.

Also United has already said it will replace its 763s with 788s. (matter of fact I believe they places an order for 35 788s before the merger.)

and good job on the 744 replacement guess. haha you have a 66% chance of being right, why not add in the 350 just so you can come back and calm another moral victory in a few years?  

So how about we do this, why don't we put 5 on Delta taking 788s? Kind of like the 73W idea you had, I'd love for you to be wrong again. ;) 

Reactions: 2 people
WorldTraveler said:
thank you, FWAAA.

As always, I am glad to have the opportunity to chat with you.

You aren't aware that DL has used an occasional 777 to/from Europe for several years, usually from DTW. These flights are a product of DL's longhaul schedules which means either leaving aircraft on the ground longer than necessary or flying it on another shorter flight. There is also a 777LR on DTW-LHR according to current schedules. DL also has 77Ls from ATL to JNB, DXB, and LAX.

If both remain, the more significant news is that DL has 2 77Ls buried in its schedule that it could use to start an additional very long haul route if it wanted to.

Part of the reason for the 77Ls on the Atlantic is probably because DL is putting 744s on both LAX and SEA-NRT next summer. LAX-NRT has been a 77L. Perhaps they are looking to push another carrier or two out of a west coast-Japan route after their success with UA at SEA. DL's capacity to Tokyo from the west coast is not much changed despite the pulldown of SFO-NRT. DL has 744s to NRT from the 4 corners of ATL, JFK, SEA, and LAX.

two TATL 77L flights is significantly different from a couple dozen flights/day to LHR and S. America, all of which are less than 10 hours each. The rest of DL's 777s (which does include the LRs) have the longest average stage length of any fleet type by any US carrier.
Its the C seat they are using. They are using the same seat they have on the 767s (C only 300s and 400s) and the 757(which will basically be the same seat Delta uses on its 757) 

With the 330/787 having about the same size cabin, Delta would (if they got them tomorrow) go with the 330/744 C seat not the same seat found on the 767. This would allow for 1-2-1 config with aisle access.

In 2020 when the 787s start rolling in its highly likely they will come with a new generation of C class seat.   

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts