Will the 777X be DL's next generation widebody

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldTraveler

Corn Field
Dec 5, 2003
As expected the 777X has been launched with large support from Middle East carriers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/boeing-launches-777x-record-breaking-081600855.html

The 777X has a number of advantages including larger size and a step approach to technology implementation instead of the full replacement of the 787.

The 777X seems ideal to become DL's flagship aircraft.

When we will see DL convert its 787 orders to the 777X?

Reactions: 2 people
Delta is going to order 1000 A380s to run out of DAL, DCA and LGA when they get the go ahead by the DOT and DOJ to take over the world!

Reactions: 3 people
seems that at least two people here have no coherent thoughts on the subject....

and, yes, I would guess that of the aircraft on the market, the 777X has the potential to become a part of the fleet more so than the 787, except perhaps the 787-10.

BTW, there seem to be rumors floating around in several quarters that UA is trying to get DL to take its fleet of 764s which would help justify UA's huge number of 787s and 350s on order.

The 764 is a very economical aircraft on the 10 hour flights that form much of DL's transatlantic and deep S. America networks, is younger than the 763s that it would replace - and of course could be had for a lot less money than new aircraft and still be a viable aircraft for 10 or more years.

The 787-10s or 777Xs probably aren't needed until the 2020 timeframe.

Reactions: 4 people
I would not be shocked if dl got ua 764s for the cheap providednual modify it to dl standards similar to the 717 deal on the other hand i would not be shocked to see dl get 777Xs and 787-10 which they could deploy to smaller markets like say chengdu etc

I suspect the fact that UA's 764s have 5 abreast in Business class is exactly why they are considering whether it is worth refurbing them vs. transferring them to DL.
As the 767 and 330 cabin mods wind down, it would be easy for DL to take 7-10 aircraft per year from UA and get them modded. UA isn't likely to pull more than 10 764s out of the fleet per year... it would seem.

The 787-10 is a fairly large aircraft... it is not for developing new cities.

The 777X or 787-10 if DL gets them would more than likely be as 744 replacements. It also isn't terribly clear how much and where DL needs a 350 seat plus aircraft in its network going forward.

The 777x Id imagine would be a 777 replacement or open atl to mid east places like tlv or even africa the 764s i'd imagine wld be used for europe n hawaii

WorldTraveler said:
As expected the 777X has been launched with large support from Middle East carriers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/boeing-launches-777x-record-breaking-081600855.html

The 777X has a number of advantages including larger size and a step approach to technology implementation instead of the full replacement of the 787.

The 777X seems ideal to become DL's flagship aircraft.

When we will see DL convert its 787 orders to the 777X?
no. 787s are the future at Delta. 350/777X are to big for the bulk of fleet replacement. The 787s on order will start to come in time to start replacing the older 767s as they come due for the higher end HMVs. 

also no, Delta isn't getting UALs 764s.  

Also, calm down on the used airplane thing. That isn't really the "plan" going forward. The M90/717 fleet were a special situation  

Reactions: 1 person
what used aircraft thing? Where did I say that DL would continually buy used aircraft? I have repeatedly acknowledged the unique economic benefits and characteristics of the 717/M90 transaction.

And you know what? The same characteristics apply to the 764. Orphan fleet that still has very good operational economics compared to new market aircraft. About mid-age in service life for an aircraft.

Maybe UA will keep its 764s and maybe they won't. Let's see. But the case for DL to acquire the 764s is certainly there if UA wants to get rid of them and DL is interested in a low cost alternative to replacing 763s.

BTW, weren't you adamant that DL would not buy A330s?

WorldTraveler said:
what used aircraft thing? Where did I say that DL would continually buy used aircraft? I have repeatedly acknowledged the unique economic benefits and characteristics of the 717/M90 transaction.

And you know what? The same characteristics apply to the 764. Orphan fleet that still has very good operational economics compared to new market aircraft. About mid-age in service life for an aircraft.

Maybe UA will keep its 764s and maybe they won't. Let's see. But the case for DL to acquire the 764s is certainly there if UA wants to get rid of them and DL is interested in a low cost alternative to replacing 763s.

BTW, weren't you adamant that DL would not buy A330s?
But UAL has shown no sign of dumping the 764. 
so far they have used the 787 for rightsizing the Asia fleet and growth. 

Would DL buy them if UA dumped them, possible
IS UA going to dump them.....nah. 

no, I said the 777 was a better airplane for Delta's needs......and it is. At one point Delta was going to over look the issues the engines on the 777. Then they got a better deal from AB. Do you remember that the order would be 24-30 airplanes. It was 10. Why do you think that is? Because the 242t 333 is still a 333. It can only fly a limited few routes to Asia. It still has shorter legs than the 332.........which had to have seats blocked for DTW-HND. 
but as I have said before, the GE90 lost boeing that order. Happens sometimes. 

where did DL ever publicly say that the order would be for 24-30 aircraft?

Yes, I know that the 333 is still about a 13.5 hour aircraft max. But that still is more than enough to give DL a very cost efficient aircraft to fly the Pacific from LAX and SEA which is where DL is focusing and where having a cost advantage or at least being able to not be undercut on costs is absolutely essential.

Sounds to me that you echo comments that the GE90 is not the engine DL wants compared to other alternatives... I'd like to hear your reasons but also don't think that DL needs to have more LRs than it already has. The 330s do take enough pressure off of the 777 fleet in order to allow DL to push the remaining 777s where they absolutely need to be flown, including using the LRs in routes where it singularly provides better capabilities than competitors can offer such as out of JNB and from DXB and SYD where cargo lift makes a big difference in the profitability of a flight that already has performance challenges.
As for the 764s, maybe UA will decide to get rid of them and maybe they won't. I don't get a commission regardless of what happens.

UA does have a whole lot of widebody capacity on order... .they clearly will be using most of it for replacement. While their 744s and 763s are older, the 764s and 777ERs are not. They still have more capacity on order than they can use for growth, esp. given that they are now the highest cost producer in the US - and also across the Pacific among key foreign players.

Topdawg does that mean the dtw to hnd is restricted to how muh cargo bags n pax it can carry if so will the same apply when they begin sea to hkg

DL doesn't fly DTW-HND anymore.

They do have SEA-HKG loaded as a 332 and appear to be selling the entire capacity of the aircraft. I'm very curious to see how that works out but SEA-HKG is blocked at over 14 hours.

Remember DL did a little stunt with the 332 not that long ago flying it nonstop from SIN to ATL - something like 18 + hours. No passengers but nonstop nonetheless. Maybe they were getting some fuel burn and performance data for ultra long haul flying on 330s and Airbus was helping them understand how their planes perform in those types of roles.

Wt that lit stunt was nthing excpt dl did not want to pay their own employees the money to do the interior so naturally an empty plane can carry a lot more fuel

But DL and other carriers have been sending their aircraft to Asia for years yet 9000 mile flights didn't happen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts