United Fleet Plans

WorldTraveler said:
I would be very surprised if you will see a 787 at DL. There simply is not enough of a difference between it and the 350 to justify multiple types.
I'd have to agree. Similarly, I don't see the business case for a small fleet of just 22 A350s at new AA, either. With 47 772s and 20 77Ws (within 18 months) and 42 firm orders for 787s, the A350 looks to duplicate the capabilities of the existing fleet and firm orders. The A350 simply won't do anything that the 787 can't do.

New AA appears to be making the 738 the "medium-sized" narrowbody instead of the A320, as AA has taken delivery of zero of them and it's been many years since US took delivery of a new A320, along with some retirements of the older A320s. The new "small" and "large" narrowbodies appear to be exclusively A319s and A321s.

700UW said:
AA has already changed the A350 order with Airbus.
Yes, the orders for -800s were converted to orders for -900s, which everyone here probably already knows.

Are you saying that the order has been cancelled or delayed substantially?

American Airlines Group has converted all of its order for 22 Airbus A350 aircraft to the larger -900 variant.
The Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier disclosed the change in a stock exchange filing after the close of markets in New York on 27 December. Deliveries will begin in 2017 as previously scheduled.

The order by American’s US Airways subsidiary was previously split between 18 A350-800 and four A350-900 aircraft, according to Airbus' orders and deliveries database.

American says that it has not disclosed the breakdown of its A350 order previously.

Airbus only has 61 remaining firm orders for the A350-800 following American’s conversion, according to orders and deliveries summary from 30 November. These orders include 12 from lessor Aircraft Purchase Fleet, 10 from Yemenia and eight from Aeroflot.

The -900 seats 315 passengers in a typical two-class configuration compared to 276 passengers in the -800, according to the European airframer.

US Airways last modified its A350 order in November 2009 when it deferred deliveries to 2017 from 2015. It announced the deal in 2007 with deliveries originally scheduled to begin in 2014.

American’s parent AMR and US Airways merged on 9 December to create American Airlines Group.

Should have posted that on March 5th when others started talking about DL and AA.

and it is still possible that the big 3 US airlines or even UA working with another airline or leasing company could accept Airbus aircraft if it doesn't want them and then sell or sublease them.

it is relevant what AA or any of the big 3 are doing with their mixed A and B new generation fleets.

since no carrier operates widebody aircraft and this thread is primarily about UA's widebody orders with comparison information regarding AA and DL, I'm not sure why there would be.

however, perhaps you can update on us when DL is getting booted out of DAL and when AA will succeed at ripping that HND route from DL. - on the appropriate forums.

and part of the decision really has to be whether it is worth operating a narrowbody over the Atlantic given that the 763 carries only about 30 more seats in a two class config and can carry cargo as well.

given CO/UA"s use of 757s even during the winter from EWR to continental Europe, I can't help but think they are not willing to sign up for an aircraft that can't address the diversion issues in the winter. It is hard to believe a 321 or 737 of any subtype can do a better job than a 757

I'm more interested to see if Boeing will finally move on a next generation small widebody or more capable narrowbody.

And no Boeing is thinking about a new version of  the 738-Max to compete with the A321LR.

2woeq1k.jpg

WorldTraveler said:
it comes right out of DL's 10K which was just filed with the SEC less than a month ago.

You make sure and get yourself over to the GO and tell them that is wrong - before you head to Washington and tell them DL lied.

DL's 787 order is still listed on the books as a commitment which does allow substitution.

and DL's 10K was prepared long after the Airbus order was announced.

I would be very surprised if you will see a 787 at DL. There simply is not enough of a difference between it and the 350 to justify multiple types.
Show me the 10K that says Delta would have converted the 787 order to anything then please?  

FWAAA said:
I'd have to agree. Similarly, I don't see the business case for a small fleet of just 22 A350s at new AA, either. With 47 772s and 20 77Ws (within 18 months) and 42 firm orders for 787s, the A350 looks to duplicate the capabilities of the existing fleet and firm orders. The A350 simply won't do anything that the 787 can't do.

New AA appears to be making the 738 the "medium-sized" narrowbody instead of the A320, as AA has taken delivery of zero of them and it's been many years since US took delivery of a new A320, along with some retirements of the older A320s. The new "small" and "large" narrowbodies appear to be exclusively A319s and A321s.
Well about half of the A350 order book also has 787s on order......I am going to guess there is something there. 

I have said it before and will say it again, The US3 will operate both the A350 and 787. 15 years ago i might agree but now that no one cares about the number of types in the fleet i think that time and price will be more important. 

Delta, for example, will have ~30 767-300ERs, 21 767-400ERs, 8 777-200ERs, 10 777-200LRs, 11 A330-200s and 31 A330-300s that will have to be replaced, Plus some growth you are talking 125 airplanes easy. No way that is just going to be A350s and A330s. 

The US3 are to big for single OEMs anymore. I expect them all to have 320NEOs and 737MAX. I expect A350/787 and i even expect Delta (duh) and American to end up operating a nice size fleet of A330NEOs. 

Having said that, they only chance I see for a 777X order is if Delta doesn't believe the A350-900 or 787-9 to be able to replace the 77L. If that is the case then I could see a 10-20 order for 778s.