US Airways ALPA MEC Chairman’s Message

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways ALPA MEC Chairman’s Message - June 20, 2007

This is MEC Chairman Jack Stephan with a Chairman’s message to the pilots for Wednesday, June 20, 2007.

I read with disappointment today, the latest missive from Council 41. While Rome burns, our PHL representatives are consumed by conspiracy theories that would rival any John Grisham novel. I am disappointed because this kind of nonsense is not what we need from our leaders right now. I am getting sick and tired of the resurrection of name calling, careless innuendos and placing blame. I am also concerned that your dues dollars are being used to proliferate such reckless communications.

Sometimes I wonder if I attended the same meetings last week that the PHL reps reference. I would be remiss and it would be unfair to the MEC as a whole, if the truth in this instance were not told. In total disregard of the facts, the capitalized statement in the PHL June 19th Fast Read stated: “NOT A SINGLE QUESTION FROM A FELLOW MEC MEMBER,†concerning the recall of Captain Donn Butkovic.

This is blatantly untrue and an unjustified attempt to discredit the entire MEC. One would have to question the motive of this type of statement. In fact, all pilots should know that numerous questions were asked and answered and that Negotiating Committee Chairman Doug Mowery himself stated that the recall attempt was “unwarrantedâ€. The attempt to recall Donn Butkovic ultimately failed and it is time to move on.

At our meeting last week, I told the MEC that what our pilots needed from us right now are solutions and less flag waving. It’s way past the time of looking at the gnarled body on the emergency room gurney saying, “geez that looks awful.†It’s time to start attacking the problem and not each other. Public displays of intra union fighting just don’t work and most importantly, you have told us repeatedly in our Wilson Center Polls that MEC infighting is what you despise the most.

As your MEC Chairman, you need to know that unless I have all 12 MEC members rowing in the same direction, what we end up delivering to you is compromised. I don’t care if your reps like each other or if share the same investments. I want them all on the same sheet of music and that sheet right now is fighting to overturn the Nicolau award. As fighter pilots would say, “all the rest is rubbish,†and this rubbish is distracting to our cause.

I am calling on all PHL pilots to contact your reps and to tell them to knock it off. Tell them they should spend as much time coming up with solutions as they do in writing their next tabloid sequel. I need them to help me fight for you. Rhetoric and personal assaults are of no use to me, teamwork and fresh ideas are the ammunition I need.
No doubt the temperature in our kitchen is getting hotter and the pressure increasing on your elected representatives. I cannot have any of your representatives panic when things aren’t going our way. Democracy, as we know, has its shortcomings, but it beats the alternatives. When we break the huddle of MEC strategy, I recognize that not all members may be thrilled about the play we are about to execute. But to give the play any chance of success we had better not broadcast it to the opposing side.

Now I’d like to inform you of a phone call I will make this week to our CEO, Doug Parker. I am going to talk to him about a resolution that your MEC passed at our meeting in CLT. The resolution demands among other things, that AAA pilots be paid the same rate to perform the same job as the AWA pilots. We have been patient for too long enduring the sting of another B Scale. The AAA pilots are not going to subsidize any more profits and lucrative executive compensation packages around here with bottom of the barrel wages. If equal pay for equal work is good enough for our CEO, then it is good enough for the AAA pilots. Enough is enough of the double standard on our compensation. I will report to you the progress of this call and the process we will engage in to address this inequity.

I am also waiting to hear from Captain Prater on where we stand with the May 24th Executive Council resolution that encouraged both MECs to “explore consensual approaches that promote career protection and mutual success.â€

Regardless of what you have read or heard elsewhere, our agreeing to this process DOES NOT change our position before the Executive Council and our strategy with regard to overturning the Nicolau award. I did tell Captain Prater that it took two to tango, and that we were not interested in engaging in any dance with a recalcitrant partner.

Enough for now. Thanks again for all your support. The battle continues every day. The strength of our resolve and the clarity of our focus will continue to serve us well. So continue to look out for each other out there.

And as always, fly safe and thanks for listening.

USA320Pilot comments: As I indicated last week one option is for the US Airways pilots to receive a pay raise (and vacation too), have the East pilots live under the rest of LOA 93, and then keep the two pilot groups separate as a means to settle the Nicolau Award dispute. Discussions on this issue between ALPA and Management started last week and are now being made public.

The benefit for both pilot groups is that there would not be two different pay scales and each pilot group keeps its pre-merger career expectation.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

You are truly a fool if you think Glass and Parker will just give you a raise and vacation.

I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn and Ocean front property in AZ for you, care to buy it?

The problem, of course, is that Tempe is not going to give a pay raise that it's not contractually required to give.

Next?

It'll be "sure--sign a joint contract and have all the pay raises you want."

The problem, of course, is that Tempe is not going to give a pay raise that it's not contractually required to give.

Until they do, they will see little cooperation between themselves and the East pilot group. They can hide the lost revenue from all of this for a while, but sooner or later they will have to explain themselves to the stockholders. Parity will plug the dike for now. Otherwise the leaks are going to become bigger and more frequent.

It's their call...

A320 Driver B)

Doug Parker called Jack Stephan last week and asked Jack what could be done to fix the operational problems and the Nicolau Award.

It is my understanding Jack responded that pay and vacation parity, living under the remainder of LOA 93, and keeping the pilot groups separate would be a good option. Apparently, the company is not objecting to this option.

Next the MEC discussed this option and released its code a phone message on the subject.

See Story

Negotiations separate of JNC talks have already begun, but I could not report this last week, even though I alluded to this.

Again, the benefit to this plan is there is pay parity, which is good for all pilot groups across the industry, and each US Airways pilot group maintains its pre-merger career expectation.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Next?

It'll be "sure--sign a joint contract and have all the pay raises you want."

Are you sure? Why would Tempe want unity when this kind of disunity serves them better. All they have to do is pay them enough so the planes move without to much hindering, run a second rate airline, sit back and let the whipsawing save more than enough to justify keeping the groups separate and collect their millions.

You are truly a fool if you think Glass and Parker will just give you a raise and vacation.

I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn and Ocean front property in AZ for you, care to buy it?

No one is asking for anything.

I believe the pilots are presenting Glass and Parker an option in the form of pay raises and other contractual concessions or continue to spend ten times that in increased costs.

Continued increased cost of operation equals x.
Increased pilot giveback will cost one tenth of x.
Either one or the other, Glass and Parkers choice.

I am no great communicator, but it does seem pretty simple to me.

All they have to do is .... run a second rate airline...

So, they are gonna bring US up and out of the basement? Certainly they are not setting their sights too high?

At this point, with all operational indicators in the sewer, pay parity for the East pilot group would be a sound business move. Management would see IMMEDIATE improvement in their operational numbers and give them a little breathing room to finish sorting out continued IT and other issues. The only downside is how loud the West MEC screams "WHERE'S OURS?"

We can scream just as loud, "WHO CARES?"...and there are more of us.

A320 Driver B)

Waiting impatiently on my raise.

The only downside is how loud the West MEC screams "WHERE'S OURS?"

We can scream just as loud, "WHO CARES?"...and there are more of us.

A320 Driver B)

Waiting impatiently on my raise.

More power to them, let them scream too! Just let them scream separately.

Now I’d like to inform you of a phone call I will make this week to our CEO, Doug Parker. I am going to talk to him about a resolution that your MEC passed at our meeting in CLT. The resolution demands among other things, that AAA pilots be paid the same rate to perform the same job as the AWA pilots.

. . .

USA320Pilot comments: As I indicated last week one option is for the US Airways pilots to receive a pay raise (and vacation too), have the East pilots live under the rest of LOA 93 . . . .
Wait a minute.

Aren't you the one who has been on here in recent weeks, typing over and over and over and over, that the East pilots would be perfectly happy to live under LOA 93 as is and indefinitely?

And the company might be ready to file in court since their is a conserted effort to damgage the company.

IE... AA against APA, UA and ALPA and AMFA and NWA against AMFA.

Wont be the first time a company sought an injuction and damages from their unions on the property.

you guys going to try the "give me what I want or else" strategy again, when will you learn. Oh yeah, and how are you guys enjoying arguing with yourselves?

And the company might be ready to file in court since their is a conserted effort to damgage the company.

IE... AA against APA, UA and ALPA and AMFA and NWA against AMFA.

Wont be the first time a company sought an injuction and damages from their unions on the property.

Wouldn't be the first time a judge was ignored. Everyone is doing their job.

Latest posts