US Airways ALPA MEC Chairman's Message - May 7

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways ALPA MEC Chairman Update - May 7, 2007

This is MEC Chairman Jack Stephan with a Chairman’s message to the pilots for Monday, May 7th, 2007.

This morning at 8:00 am we reconvened our special MEC meeting in Herndon, VA. But before I brief you on the meeting I would like to thank all my fellow pilots who took the time to contact me with your concerns, your indignation and your suggestions. I have received an overwhelming an unprecedented number of telephone calls and emails in the last few days and although I haven’t had the opportunity to answer each and every one at this time, my plan is to do just that. You should know however that there isn’t one idea or suggestion that has not been entertained by this MEC. And as you can see from some of the resolutions that were passed today, some are being immediately implemented, while others are being held in abeyance.

This morning’s meeting continued with a comprehensive briefing from our Merger Committee and Merger Attorney Dan Katz. Their extensive analysis highlighted in detail many of the atrocities that accompany the arbitrator’s ruling. The MEC saw first hand the staggering, irrecoverable effects of such issues as length of service, retirements and attrition, stagnation, lost earnings and income, and windfalls.

The MEC then rolled up their sleeves and passed five resolutions that are now posted on our website for your review. Of particular interest is the resolution that directs me to request that ALPA’s Executive Council receive a presentation regarding the Nicolau Award from our Merger Committee at its next regular meeting and that the full resources of the Association be made available to support the US Airways’ pilots in connection with the turmoil generated by the Nicolau Award.

We will also be terminating the merger assessments as well as temporarily standing down SPC activities so that our sole focus at this juncture can be directed to responding to the injustices and contradictions of the Nicolau award.

Tomorrow I will be joining the JNC in Washington D.C. as they receive management’s first economic counter-proposal. But make no mistake; my number one priority remains your well being and our corresponding response to the devastating effects of the Nicolau award. Expect to soon see members of our Critical Incident Response Program in our crew rooms. I also want to remind pilots who may be in need of assistance that the Employee Assistance Program is available to them at phone number 1-800-363-7190. And for guidance, and information on subsequent FAA reporting issues, contact our ALPA Aero-Medical Coordinator at 317-844-2742 or 317-506-4744.

I want to ensure you that your MEC clearly understands the magnitude of our present circumstances and the overwhelming call from our pilots to do something about it. The process of doing something about it began during our special meeting in Washington, but it will not stop there. We will continue to evaluate all options in our commitment to address the glaring inequities created by the Nicolau award.

In the meantime it remains so important to look out for each other out there. As always, keep your families first, fly safe and thanks for listening.

US Airways MEC Resolutions Passed May 6-7

WHEREAS, the Nicolau Award of 01 May 2007 conflicts with the goals of ALPA Merger Policy, fails to merge the US Airways and America West pilot seniority lists in a fair and equitable manner, is riddled with internal contradictions and has generated turmoil on the property, and WHEREAS, the ALPA Executive Council has the responsibility to interpret and apply ALPA Merger Policy,

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the MEC Chairman shall request that the ALPA Executive Council receive a presentation regarding the Nicolau Award from our Merger Committee at its next regular meeting; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the US Airways MEC charges the Merger Committee with the responsibility of demonstrating to the Executive Council the invalidity of the Nicolau Award; and

BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED that the MEC requests that the full resources of the Association be made available to support the US Airways’ pilots in connection with the turmoil generated by the Nicolau Award.

Passes unanimously

WHEREAS the US Airways Merger Committee has completed the task of presenting the merger arguments in the merger arbitration between US Airways and America West pilot groups,

WHEREAS in the opinion of the MEC, sufficient monies have been raised in order to complete the work left before the Merger Committee,

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the US Airways MEC terminates merger assessments of the US Airways pilots effective April 15, 2007.

Passes unanimously

WHEREAS the Nicolau Award has had an immediate negative impact on the wellbeing and fitness for flight duty of the US Airways’ pilots,

THERFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the CIRP (Critical Incident Response Program) be activated immediately to interact with the US Airways pilots, and

THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that they report back to the MEC within 48 hours on the overall wellbeing and fitness for duty of the US Airways’ crew members encountered, and

THEREFORE BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED that all the CIRP efforts/activities will be coordinated with the ALPA Aeromedical Committee.

Passes unanimously

WHEREAS the US Airways pilots are experiencing extreme turmoil as a result of the Nicolau seniority integration award, and

WHEREAS at the present time, our pilots need to have a singular focus on the conduct of a safe operation.

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the AAA MEC directs a temporary stand down of Strike Prep Committee (SPC) activities.

Passes unanimously

USA320Pilot comments: This weekend's MEC meeting focused on different options available to the pilot group. Each option has varied degrees of effort and could include pulling out of joint contract talks, asking the company to void the seniority list, replacing ALPA, or seeking ALPA Executive Board intervention; as well as other options. One point is clear, the US Airways East pilots have the ability to stop this award from proceeding by simply working under its current contract (LOA 93) and then when the contract is amedable enter into mediation, which could take 4 or 5 years longer. Nobody wants that to happen, however, in the meantime, today's resolutions direct the Merger Committee/Council to provide a detailed presentation to ALPA Internationals Executive Board seeking intervention and pulling down Strike Prep Committee work and cancelling all joint picketing including the week long coast-to-coast campaign. In addition, next week's joint negotiating committee meetings to formulate a response by the JNC to the company's comprehensive offer have been cancelled by the East MEC.

Tomorrow's meeting between Scott Kirby, Jack Stephan, amd the JNC is expected to focus on the Arbitrators Opinion & Award versus a new joint contract.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Now we know the source of Global Warming

You know, while Global Warming is about hot air, from our viewpoint, it will manifest itself through more and more violent weather, at least until the icecaps melt.

So, your analogy is perhaps more apt than you think as I see gathering storm clouds on the horizon.

Jest sayin'

This sounds like a bunch of crybabies who simply didn't get their way, and now want to stomp their feet until someone gives them what they want.

I must say it is not surprising though. USA320, how many times in the past have you been told that DOH will NEVER be an option in a seniority integration with your pilot group and any other? Just one more time we can add to the list that you were dead wrong. You guys shot yourselves in the foot by clinging to such unreasonable nonsense, and as a result the ruling went against you big time.

I can't help but think that if reason had won out over greed and self-servitude on the part of US East's merger committee, the outcome would have been more palatable.

I sure hope that US West (HP) pilots are planning to request their own presentation to the ALPA Executive Council regarding the Nicolau award and why it should not be overturned.

US Airways ALPA MEC Chairman Update - May 7, 2007

...indignation...overwhelming...unprecedented...comprehensive extensive analysis...atrocities...staggering.

...injustices and contradictions of the Nicolau award.

...devastating effects....magnitude of our present circumstances...overwhelming call from our pilots...glaring inequities created by the Nicolau award.

...riddled with internal contradictions....generated turmoil...turmoil generated by the Nicolau Award.

...immediate negative impact...wellbeing and fitness for flight duty...report back...on overall wellbeing and fitness for duty...

...experiencing extreme turmoil...safe operation.

ALPA heavy metaphor alert.

Yes, they do seem to have used about every methaphor there is. For any more they will have to seek out a true professional like boxing promoter Don King to give them ideas for future use.

I'm sure Don could suggest a few more such as histrionic, profundous, biblionic, etc. That is a brief list for starters.

This sounds like a bunch of crybabies who simply didn't get their way, and now want to stomp their feet until someone gives them what they want.

I must say it is not surprising though. USA320, how many times in the past have you been told that DOH will NEVER be an option in a seniority integration with your pilot group and any other? Just one more time we can add to the list that you were dead wrong. You guys shot yourselves in the foot by clinging to such unreasonable nonsense, and as a result the ruling went against you big time.

I can't help but think that if reason had won out over greed and self-servitude on the part of US East's merger committee, the outcome would have been more palatable.

I sure hope that US West (HP) pilots are planning to request their own presentation to the ALPA Executive Council regarding the Nicolau award and why it should not be overturned.

I remember very well the taunts by the AAA pilots to 'send us your UAL 747 manuals' when our merger was on. My how the table have turned. That said, I don't agree with this award at all. It isn't fair. Further, I highly doubt Nicolau based his ruling on the AAA pilots 'clinging to DOH'. Nicolau, IMHO, simply got this one wrong, and it will be overturned by Prater.

Before you boys burn down the place, give the process a chance to work.

I may happen again, as ALPA has created 4500 potential scabs. We kind of look at UAL as being responsible for changing merger policy from date of hire to this nightmare. Just look out and don't gloat!

...Nicolau, IMHO, simply got this one wrong, and it will be overturned by Prater.

Is there some kind of appeal process? I know that even the government has an appeals process for arbitration rulings, but that it is very rare. It's even more rare to see such lopsided decisions. I've read the whole thing, and even as a bystander it appears very one-sided.

I remember very well the taunts by the AAA pilots to 'send us your UAL 747 manuals' when our merger was on. My how the table have turned. That said, I don't agree with this award at all. It isn't fair. Further, I highly doubt Nicolau based his ruling on the AAA pilots 'clinging to DOH'. Nicolau, IMHO, simply got this one wrong, and it will be overturned by Prater.

We are smelling a lot of smoke in Philly and even CLT. They need to speed the process before its to late to put out the fire.

MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE - May 8, 2007

This is Arnie Gentile with a US Airways MEC update for Tuesday, May 8th, with three new items.

Item 1. US Airways MEC Chairman, Jack Stephan recorded a Chairman’s Message that discusses the special MEC meeting held in Herndon , VA. You can hear the message by pressing option 2 on the code-a-phone and it has been posted on the ‘Pilot’s Only’ website and emailed to all pilots.

Item 2. The MEC reconvened its special meeting yesterday, Monday morning and after an in depth briefing involving charts and graphs depicting the severe impact of the Nicolau award, the MEC went to work and unanimously passed five resolutions all relating to the situation we find ourselves in. Of particular interest is the resolution that directs the MEC Chairman to request that ALPA’s Executive Council receive a presentation regarding the Nicolau Award from our Merger Committee at its next regular meeting two weeks from now, and that the full resources of the Association be made available to support the US Airways’ pilots in connection with the turmoil generated by the Nicolau Award. The resolutions are posted on the pilot only web site and will be emailed to all pilots. Your union’s main concern is for your health and well-being. Another resolution was passed that calls for the activation of our Critical Incident Response Program (CIRP) and accordingly, volunteers will be in the crew rooms shortly.

Item 3. In light of the seniority integration, your MEC is passing along information, published by the National Safety Council, about how chronic stress can adversely and severely impact any person's abilities, health, and ultimately, life.

The National Safety Council defines "stress" as an inability to cope with a perceived threat to one's mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being. Stress can take two forms: acute stress and chronic stress. While acute stress surfaces, is quite intense, and disappears quickly, chronic stressors, on the other hand, are not as intense, yet they seem to linger for days, weeks, months or even years. Examples of chronic stress might include financial problems, poor employer relations and job burnout. It is the repeated wear and tear on the body from chronic stress that can have an adverse affect on individual health and productivity.

Helpful stress-related websites will be listed and published under What's New.

Remember the Employee Assistance Program is available at phone number 1-800-363-7190. For guidance, and information on FAA reporting issues, call the ALPA Aero-Medical Coordinator at phone number 317-844-2742; cell number 317-506-4744.

MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE - May 8, 2007

This is Arnie Gentile with a US Airways MEC update for Tuesday, May 8th, with three new items.

Item 1. US Airways MEC Chairman, Jack Stephan recorded a Chairman’s Message that discusses the special MEC meeting held in Herndon , VA. You can hear the message by pressing option 2 on the code-a-phone and it has been posted on the ‘Pilot’s Only’ website and emailed to all pilots.

Item 2. The MEC reconvened its special meeting yesterday, Monday morning and after an in depth briefing involving charts and graphs depicting the severe impact of the Nicolau award, the MEC went to work and unanimously passed five resolutions all relating to the situation we find ourselves in. Of particular interest is the resolution that directs the MEC Chairman to request that ALPA’s Executive Council receive a presentation regarding the Nicolau Award from our Merger Committee at its next regular meeting two weeks from now, and that the full resources of the Association be made available to support the US Airways’ pilots in connection with the turmoil generated by the Nicolau Award. The resolutions are posted on the pilot only web site and will be emailed to all pilots. Your union’s main concern is for your health and well-being. Another resolution was passed that calls for the activation of our Critical Incident Response Program (CIRP) and accordingly, volunteers will be in the crew rooms shortly.

Item 3. In light of the seniority integration, your MEC is passing along information, published by the National Safety Council, about how chronic stress can adversely and severely impact any person's abilities, health, and ultimately, life.

The National Safety Council defines "stress" as an inability to cope with a perceived threat to one's mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being. Stress can take two forms: acute stress and chronic stress. While acute stress surfaces, is quite intense, and disappears quickly, chronic stressors, on the other hand, are not as intense, yet they seem to linger for days, weeks, months or even years. Examples of chronic stress might include financial problems, poor employer relations and job burnout. It is the repeated wear and tear on the body from chronic stress that can have an adverse affect on individual health and productivity.

Helpful stress-related websites will be listed and published under What's New.

Remember the Employee Assistance Program is available at phone number 1-800-363-7190. For guidance, and information on FAA reporting issues, call the ALPA Aero-Medical Coordinator at phone number 317-844-2742; cell number 317-506-4744.
brinkmanship
Function: noun
Pronunciation: 'bri[ng]k-m&n-"ship
Variants: also brinks·man·ship /'bri[ng](k)s-m&n-/
: the art or practice of pushing a dangerous situation or confrontation to the limit of safety especially to force a desired outcome
YOUR WORD NOT MINE,Shall we go down memory lane?

Is there some kind of appeal process? I know that even the government has an appeals process for arbitration rulings, but that it is very rare. It's even more rare to see such lopsided decisions. I've read the whole thing, and even as a bystander it appears very one-sided.

From what I understand, Prater can step in and scuttle the whole deal if he wants to. Right now, he's looking for precedence, although he can set his own, if need be.

Regarding the alteration of merger policy, I'm glad it was changed from straight date of hire. Everyone should fly what they bring to the dance and have the career expectation they were anticipating. If the career expectation is altered because of a merger, it should be altered for everyone, not just one side.

I get your point. But history shows that ALPA is nothing more than a blizzard without any snow.

I'd like to be wrong but I don't think I am.

The storm clouds are not forming because of ALPA (differenciating ALPA the national organization from ALPA, the pilot). They are forming in spite of ALPA natl. That is not to say that ALPA would not jump on board.

I think once sane minds see that the only two ALPA franchisees that could benefit from ignoring DOH for merger purposes would be the root beer folks and the UAL pilots. The vast majority of ALPA carriers pretty much work by DOH, a bastardized national seniority list.

I'd like you to be wrong also.....

I also question the wisdom of posting internal ALPA documents.

But, but, then the little pathetic chap won't have anything at all to make you think he is not in the "in crowd". At least he is not plagerizing material. Perhaps he is vying for (most) any position with Faux News which would be a stenographer posing as a journalist.