US Airways ALPA MEC Resolution

which part of the system could be downsized?
That's relatively simple.....

PHL - major cuts since UA doesn't need that big a presence with IAD right down the road.

CLT - not as much as PHL, but don't need two major connecting hubs for N/S east coast traffic.

BOS/LGA - depends on whether the Shuttle was retained - it's not as profitable as it once was.

DCA - one of the biggest thorns in the side of regulators with the US operation in DCA combined with the UA hub at IAD. Would probably have to divest a pretty large percentage of slots to get approval. but this would be offset with increased activity at IAD.

PHX/LAS - would depend on how much additional E/W service UA wanted over and above what they already have since ORD couldn't handle much more.

Jim

Jim, do you know the percentages of flow-through international via PHL versus PHL O&D international? If most of the traffic is connecting versus O&D, then it will be a small matter to re-route through IAD (UAL) or JFK (DAL), depending upon who the partner is.

That's a harder nut to crack for two reasons - the international data is older before it's released so therefore more out of date, and the O&D databases are some of the biggest that BTS has (that what happens when it contains the individual data on 10% of all tickets sold). So I haven't tried to do anything with them - just no patience for waiting an hour or so for any sort to be completed.

As far as what would happen in a UA/US merger, my guess is that PHL would retain some international but not much. I could see it turning into a "focus" city with primarily only the flights the local market could support while most of the connecting would be funneled thru IAD with it's better infrastructure (especially runways, though new terminal construction is planned).

Jim

USA320Pilot,
1. Was the pay parity the company offered May 8 tied to a Joint Contract?

2. Why did AAA refuse the A340?

Oh, so now you guys are in charge of determining who gets what? That's mighty kind of you sir. I assume I can count on another profit-sharing check next march signed by the "Benevolent East" (Analysts estimate consensus is $475 mil for the 2007)

Yes. That's exactly right. The profit sharing was part of the east contract known as LOA 93. The west does not have this provision. The east alone had the authority to decide how to share the profit sharing money, and the east MEC voted to give equal share to the west pilots. Laughably, it was an attempt to show unity. Boy, was that ever a mistake.

Had the east MEC voted to keep the money "in house," the west pilots woulde have received ZIP!

You're absolutely correct, we would have received the same amount that you would have received absent the merger - ZIP.

Ignorance is blissfully alive in the east.

We will never know since it never happened. It is true that the East GAVE the West the same amount.

Oh, so now you guys are in charge of determining who gets what? That's mighty kind of you sir. I assume I can count on another profit-sharing check next march signed by the "Benevolent East" (Analysts estimate consensus is $475 mil for the 2007)

Actually, little boy, the east did gift their portion of profit sharing to the west.

After your collective "I got mine" attitude, I would not count on any further such "gifts". Ta ta, pus face.

Just a few comments to add:

The Company will never agree to pay parity without a joint contract because there is no reason for them to do so. All of the M&A arguments recently regurgitated in a PHILTHY Lunatics En Charge (LEC) update is just more of the same infectious propaganda they have been spreading since the Nic award was announced.

The West MEC should immediately give the Company an offer they can't refuse for flying the A340 to gain leverage over the east. This will be a real possibility after certificate merge in September. Yes, whipsaw at its best but the east is the one playing the dirty games. It is time to roll up your sleeves West MEC and get in the mud pit with the feasties. Being a bystander will get us nowhere. There is a lot more to be done to mitigate some of the east actions but I see nothing but a defensive posture from our MEC. Not the position to be in guys.

Interestingly, there is less than 500 east pilots left to recall and it’s expected that out of that group only 50-60 will opt to return. Some may in fact be recalled to the West operation. That will leave nobody on furlough eligible to participate in a “decertificationâ€￾ drive. The longer this plays out the better the chances ALPA will NOT be “decertified.â€￾

Just a thought here, since the east attrition in the captain ranks is relatively the same as the west, why couldn’t we put a ratio on all captain vacancies so they are assured over 2/3 of the captain positions and vice-versa in the west? This is similar to the E190 & B757 awards. I don’t know if that is something the east would consider as a remedy - probably not since they seem bent on "educate to vacate". :lol:

Boy, what a lost soul campaign that is - educate to vacate. The award will never be vacated, it may not be used for a while, but it will NEVER be vacated, even with a crackpot in-house Union in-charge.

USA320Pilot,
1. Was the pay parity the company offered May 8 tied to a Joint Contract?

2. Why did AAA refuse the A340?

Why did you guys do that anyway? It had to be quid pro quo of some sort -maybe hiring the furloughed guys in exchange?? Anyway, I appreciate the extra cash, thanks.

We will never know since it never happened. It is true that the East GAVE the West the same amount.

why couldn’t we put a ratio on all captain vacancies so they are assured over 2/3 of the captain positions and vice-versa in the west?

Good point. It would make sense and could easily be included in a new joint contract. But the Easties want everything and somehow they think that their latest crackpot resolution will give them that.

I bet you they decided to "give us" profit sharing because it would make being stapled to the bottom of the seniority list easier for us to take, back in the day when they were convinced that's what would happen......oh wait, they still think that. (And they probably didn't think we'd be making such a profit so fast) Our stock-option grievance is in arbitration right now. It will be interesting to see what the outcome will be on that.

Why did you guys do that anyway? It had to be quid pro quo of some sort -maybe hiring the furloughed guys in exchange?? Anyway, I appreciate the extra cash, thanks.

Believe me, it was not a popular decision literally or metaphorically. The rank-and-file did not vote on it; and the rank-and-file were not particularly happy with it.

The east MEC at the time was led by arguably the weakest MEC chair in the history of ALPA, and possibly in the history of organized labor. Pollock was the quintessential "weak sister," and never met a concession he didn't like. When time came to decide how to divvy up the profit sharing money, the MEC alone voted and was split 50-50 on whether or not to give equal shares to the west pilots. Weak Sister Pollock broke the tie in favor of the west pilots getting the cash. For the life of me, I cannot imagine how he shows his face now if he is out flying the line.

[quote

Just a thought here, since the east attrition in the captain ranks is relatively the same as the west, why couldn’t we put a ratio on all captain vacancies so they are assured over 2/3 of the captain positions and vice-versa in the west? This is similar to the E190 & B757 awards. I don’t know if that is something the east would consider as a remedy - probably not since they seem bent on "educate to vacate". :lol:

Cactus I think there could several options like this that could help us move along, but I thought your MECs position was that they would not negotiate anything now. Is it not?

"Cactus I think there could several options like this that could help us move along, but I thought your MECs position was that they would not negotiate anything now. Is it not?"

After discussions with several of our rep's, I know for a fact that several items are on the table that are intended to specifically help ease the east's acceptance of the award. However, probably none of these will see the light of day and be forwarded to our JNC members until after National has forwarded the list to Parker and JNC is back in honest negotiations, rather than being used as a delaying tactic. To do otherwise is simply putting the cart before the horse.

"Cactus I think there could several options like this that could help us move along, but I thought your MECs position was that they would not negotiate anything now. Is it not?"
After discussions with several of our rep's, I know for a fact that several items are on the table that are intended to specifically help ease the east's acceptance of the award. However, probably none of these will see the light of day and be forwarded to our JNC members until after National has forwarded the list to Parker and JNC is back in honest negotiations, rather than being used as a delaying tactic. To do otherwise is simply putting the cart before the horse.

I can tell you FIRST hand that there are no deals to be made!! Why? Because all the protections are already covered within the award. Now when the E190 had to be pressed because of their total unwillingness to split this new flying down the middle, they gloated when they got a 67/33% split. Did we act up and clown? not at all, we sucked up and moved on!!!

They have never wanted to give us a thing not even the profit sharing as you have read. The only thing they want us to have was spots at the very bottom of the list, even below their unemployed!! They have never acted in good faith, never treated us as equal never once wanted to deal that was close to fair!! Date of hire was all we heard for two years and bet you bottom dollar if they got it the list would have been in Parker's hands the very next day!!! This is total B.S. and we will never deal away an arbitrated award PERIOD!!!! ALPA national can do what they want but in the end with the High road reaches it's final destination, the west pilots are going to have to be made whole and who pays that tab we could care less but it will be paid!!!

Back