Us Airways Asks Pilots For $300 Million

I can see it now........we need $300mi.......or you can keep what you have just let us outsource the EMB-190s we want to buy. Want to take bets on how long it takes for this subject to come up?

let's see....3200 pilots, $300 million......average is a little under $100k each?
18 yr. A/B F/O making $5,000/yr. That breaks down to a little over $400/month, less the medical benefits for the family at about $380/mo, .......hmmm,...........My math never was good, but 85 hrs for $20/mo sound like about.......$0.23/hr.
But that's worth it to fly an..........Airbus?
Sorry, now it's 96 hours per month............let's see..........I'll need the calculator to recompute.............I'll get back to you all.

My heart goes out to all at US. I personally have a very hard time with this, so I can't even imagine having to go through it myself. You all have given so much and are being asked to give more. God Bless. Just my thoughts.........

Not one dime until the company explains in detail what.."other expenses of $200 Million.." means.

Healthcare cost increases for retirees is what they are gunning for.

No they are gunning for furloughs. If they get all the senior guys to become sky whores and fly 95 hours you'll see at least 500 pilot furloughs.

Pilots can only fly 1000 per year by FAA regulation. That's an average of about 83 hours per month. But, I doubt seriously if the suits at U are smart enough to utilize the pilots that much. Of course, they could cut the number of days off to 8 or so. That might do it. Then they could shoot holes in a few more lifeboats and watch a few hundred more pilots sink. What the heck, they're junior guys.

The suits have had a year and tons of opportunities to change the company, yet they haven't. Either they are incredibly inept, or they're stringing the company out for some other reason.

Winglet said:
Pilots can only fly 1000 per year by FAA regulation. That's an average of about 83 hours per month.
That is true. But the FAA rules apply to actual block hours, not pay hours. A pilot working even 95 hours a month does not translate to 95 block hours. The obvious example is vacation. In a vacation month you get paid for many hours you do not fly. I believe they also get paid for training in the sim, which is not block time for FAA purposes. There is still some credit time, despite the degraded work rules of the USAirways pilots. So a 95 hour month is certainly possible.