US Airways CEO calls for more consolidation

Both RDU and BNA both do not have the cost advantage and revenue premium CLT has. MIA is not really set up for domestic southeast connections. AA uses MIA for a Latin America gateway. While CLT may not be what AA is beating down the door for it certainly wouldn't pass up on the opportunity if it came up.
AMR can easily pass up what it doesn't need or want. how do we know they dont need or want? They have made no attempt to build one since the 80's.

AMR can easily pass up what it doesn't need or want. how do we know they dont need or want? They have made no attempt to build one since the 80's.
You're right in that we don't know what AA wants. Though one could say that they have a glaring hole in the southeast that puts them at a disadvantage. Given an opportunity most airlines would jump at filling a hole in their system.

You're right in that we don't know what AA wants. Though one could say that they have a glaring hole in the southeast that puts them at a disadvantage. Given an opportunity most airlines would jump at filling a hole in their system.
Like I said above, IMO, this round of mergers is more about taking capacity out through consolidation, not necessarily acquiring additional hubs/ routes/ growth aircraft. Would AA want to eliminate a competitor? I would think it could be a possibility.

I do wonder why, however, if AA is interested in a SE hub, was RDU not able to work for them?

I do wonder why, however, if AA is interested in a SE hub, was RDU not able to work for them?
I don't know if it was the reason, but AA tried having 2 southeast mini-hubs (BNA and RDU) instead of one hub. Like CLT, neither RDU nor BNA had the local traffic to support a hub so required connecting traffic but that got divided between the mini-hubs.

Jim

You can defend AA all you want, but RDU was a flat-out Failure for them. They figured that they could squeeze US out of CLT traffic, and put a hurt on DL at the same time in ATL. I recall how they suckered Midway into taking over some of the RDU operation, and we all know how that ended up. I'm not saying that CLT alone is justification for AA getting hitched with US, but not having much presence in the SE is a huge void in their system. The same can also be said for UA, although they didn't give developing a SE Hub any effort at all. It doesn't take an expert to notice that the combined NW/DL will pretty much have the entire county covered when all is said and done. It all depends if AA or UA want to keep up with DL or not. :eek:

You can defend AA all you want, but RDU was a flat-out Failure for them. They figured that they could squeeze US out of CLT traffic, and put a hurt on DL at the same time in ATL.
At the time it was planned and when it began, there was no Usair hub in CLT. There was a great old airline named Piedmont. Some AA exec convinced Crandall that creating a North-South (RDU) and a East-West (BNA) hub operation on the East coast, would work better than having a overcrowded super hub like we had at DFW and ORD.

I recall how they suckered Midway into taking over some of the RDU operation, and we all know how that ended up. I'm not saying that CLT alone is justification for AA getting hitched with US, but not having much presence in the SE is a huge void in their system.
Its really not. If it was such a gapping hole AA would have tried to fill it long ago. No that traffic is falling fast, there is less of a reason for wanting such an operation.

The same can also be said for UA, although they didn't give developing a SE Hub any effort at all. It doesn't take an expert to notice that the combined NW/DL will pretty much have the entire county covered when all is said and done. It all depends if AA or UA want to keep up with DL or not. :eek:
UAL has a ample operation at Dulles, and has no need for an additional hub at CLT. Neither airline is needs to, or is trying to go after Delta at ATL.

Hot nuts
Ice cream sundaes
Kahlua
Bose Noise Canceling Headsets
Real First Class..........

Well we're movin on up,
To the midwest.
To a deluxe airline in the sky.
Movin on up,
To the midwest.
We finally got a piece of the pie.

Fish don't fry in the kitchen;
Beans don't burn on the grill.
Took a whole lotta tryin',
Just to get up that hill.
Now we're up in the big leagues,
Gettin' our turn at bat.
As long as we live, it's you and me baby,
There ain't nothin wrong with that.

Well we're movin on up,
To the midwest.
To a deluxe airline in the sky.
Movin on up,
To the midwest.
We finally got a piece of the pie.

That is the the thing. If you live south of NY, it is very difficult for the premium business traveler to travel on AA if you want to go east of the Mississippi. I like CO a lot, but if US and AA got together, and AA stayed the way it is now with respect to service, I would send all of my business to AA.

Consider the literary source as well as the authors. Here is the writers entire BIO. Robert Schrader ([email protected]) grew up in four states and had seen Big Ben, Notre Dame, and Palatine by age 21. Having just conquered India, he plans to visit every continent by 30. Live vicariously through him at Examiner.com. With that kind of business and writing background I wouldnt put a lot of stock in a merger anytime soon.

Back