US Airways moves to fix airport mess

While "rehiring some of its laid-off airport workers" will obviously improve things, Dave Siegel can make all the directives he wants, but the structural flaws of PHL as a hub (ramp/gate/terminal/runway/ATC/WX) cannot be fixed by more personnel. It''s a loser, and inferior to every other hub in the country.

But the upper management of this company has made their decision, and doesn''t appear to want to revisit it, no matter how much it costs them, or no matter how disastrous that may be. In the meantime, PIT is being dismantled as a mainline hub 300 miles away.

Gee Wiz....FINALLY, Management makes a "rational" decision and uses their heads.

You can't cut staffing like that, then increase the flights in PHL almost double and think you can provide the same service "efficiently". Didn't they learn that at Harvard???? Every aspect of the PAX travel experience...from reservation to ticketing to checking luggage, security, boarding, flying and deplaning, retireving bags takes "precision and perfect timing".

WE ARE IN A TIME SENSITIVE BUSINESS....hellooooooo!

Here is my suggestion....every office in the Crystal Palace should have FRAMED....

"AIRLINE BUSINESS IS A TIME SENSITIVE BUSINESS". TAKE HEAD OUT OF ###.

----------------
On 7/13/2003 10:15:19 AM supercruiser wrote:

While "rehiring some of its laid-off airport workers" will obviously improve things, Dave Siegel can make all the directives he wants, but the structural flaws of PHL as a hub (ramp/gate/terminal/runway/ATC/WX) cannot be fixed by more personnel. It''s a loser, and inferior to every other hub in the country.

But the upper management of this company has made their decision, and doesn''t appear to want to revisit it, no matter how much it costs them, or no matter how disastrous that may be. In the meantime, PIT is being dismantled as a mainline hub 300 miles away.

----------------​
while you are on the subject, don`t forget the other hub they trashed in their efforts to build phl to where it is.
only 90 miles away so it could have drawn much of the so called o/d traffic...
instead they basically gave it SWA.

Cruiser,

I believe you are very correct. Sad state of affairs here.

Trvlr64,

I'd follow you anywhere
3.gif

I would like to see the company up the international departures times to Europe mirror those seasonal flights to Paris, London and the yearly flight to Rome. Currently, all but three of the Europe flights leave after 20:00 causing a very late night if there is any kind of delay. Believe me, I have had some long nights. Tag on a two hour delay to a 17:00 departure and its tolerable, but the other way is painful for all parties involved.

The return flights would get customers home much earlier and a clear back up should there be any delays coming in. Also, the PHL airport is far less busy at 13:00 than 16:00. I don''t think customers would care and there should then be more concentration on those flights that time of day.

The new terminal needs to get completed. It is causing a mess at security. Why do customers have to go back thru security? This is furthering delays and misconnects. I can say if this is a national TSA problem, then the airlines need to get things changed. Here we had the security that contributed to Sept. 11 while Europes was more advanced and we make those people wait in endless lines here?

In the meantime, the company can provide a 4 hour window to connecting US flights if they up the departure/arrival times. Just my suggestion. Better to wait than to go thru the stress of rushing thru customs, which I see all the time.

----------------
On 7/13/2003 11:13:53 AM firstamendment wrote:

The new terminal needs to get completed. It is causing a mess at security. Why do customers have to go back thru security? This is furthering delays and misconnects.

In the meantime, the company can provide a 4 hour window to connecting US flights if they up the departure/arrival times. Just my suggestion. Better to wait than to go thru the stress of rushing thru customs, which I see all the time.

----------------​

My flight home from AMS the other day gave me enough time for my connection, thank god. But my MAD trip in September is entirely TOO CLOSE. I am going to see if I can take a later flight. Better to be on the later flight than RUN through that horrendous PHL airport like I saw other people having to do to catch their connections. I wonder if this rescreening will have to occur when the A-west terminal is finally completed?

It's funny that PIT was built correctly when it comes to international flights. You are already behind the major TSA security screening by having the airside terminal separate from the landside terminal. What ingenious thinking for airport construction!?! I wish the people who create the flight schedule would actually have to fly this airline and make connections. Ever look at CLT connection times?? Sorry but 30 mintues is not a legal connection time frame. Especially when delayed. OJ Simpson I'm not!!!
6.gif

.......hey 1st......I replied to your PM. If you didn't see it email me.
2.gif

Don''t ya just love it. Managements answer, appoint a committee. Heaven forbid that a manager could be enpowered to make a decision without a study, a committee, outside consultants and enough reports to make the government proud. Just once, give the manager on the spot the authority to make decisions without running to Al or Dave for approval.

US has a major case of mirco-management by corporate.

On the other hand, at least admitting that something is wrong in Philly is a step in the right direction. N

to: TRVL64

Actually, PIT was built right to the old standard. Under the new Gestapo, oops...make that TSA rules, all international baggage must be screened by the TSA before it can go into the domestic system. Currently, the passenger does not have to go through a new screening, but that will probably be changing soon. All passengers and baggage not previously screened by the TSA will be required to be screened by the TSA before entering the sterile area. So, the realistic connection time is probably 3-4 hours.

Ain''t travel fun. What is a little scary is the fact that the TSA is being run by the same people who ran the FAA security branch before 9/11. These are the same people who set the standard for what is and isn''t acceptable to carry on. Seems like they are building one big empire at the airport.

----------------
On 7/13/2003 7:50:36 PM Old PSA wrote:

to: TRVL64

Actually, PIT was built right to the old standard. Under the new Gestapo, oops...make that TSA rules, all international baggage must be screened by the TSA before it can go into the domestic system. Currently, the passenger does not have to go through a new screening, but that will probably be changing soon. All passengers and baggage not previously screened by the TSA will be required to be screened by the TSA before entering the sterile area. So, the realistic connection time is probably 3-4 hours.
----------------​

When flying LGW-PIT on 1/2, I had to be re-screened by the TSA before being re-admitted to the sterile portion of the airside terminal. I then simply took the people-mover to the landside to big up my bag off another belt. Dumb.

Clue -

The reason that you have to have your bags tagged to the local claim are simple. You had access to your checked bags. There are restricted items such as firearms, knives, etc that are allowed in your check baggage, but not allowed in the sterile area or passenger cabin. To ensure that these items do not make it into the sterile area, you and your bags must be rescreened and baggage sent to the local claim area.