US Airways Operations at JFK

Newark would do much better then JFK.
Most Manhattan residents prefer EWR over JFK. Newark could support SJU, PUJ ( weekend service ) and SDQ without a doubt. And speaking of Saturday service from LGA, how much longer can USAirways continue LGA-AUA? Talk about POOR Load Factors.

I know, let's run EWR-FLL service so that people can connect to SDQ and KIN. I'll bet it'd do really well!

Oh wait, they did that, and it did do really well, and they canned it anyway. Brilliant work CCY.

Newark would do much better then JFK.
Most Manhattan residents prefer EWR over JFK. Newark could support SJU, PUJ ( weekend service ) and SDQ without a doubt. And speaking of Saturday service from LGA, how much longer can USAirways continue LGA-AUA? Talk about POOR Load Factors.

I have not checked LGA-AUA loads recently but they are normally strong even in the summer. They may have dropped off some now that CO is also doing a Sat only LGA-AUA with a 738 !

LGA777

We dropped JFK service because we don't want to give our customers an opportunity to fly any other carrier to Europe. Piedmont (the original one) had tons of service to JFK, but that's because we fed TWA flights.

Piedmont was the largest carrier in the New York area in the 1980s and had substantial service to JFK, EWR, and LGA.

We dropped JFK service because we don't want to give our customers an opportunity to fly any other carrier to Europe. Piedmont (the original one) had tons of service to JFK, but that's because we fed TWA flights.

We dropped JFK because there very little yield and a very expensive station to run ! Talk about "HUB DUMPING " Try having PIT and CLT dump a bunch of international misconnect customers whose Visa expires that day. They are going to all over the world and the next flight does not leave until next week. Now you have to provide a hotel and an agent to stay with them because they are now considered a TWOV customer.(Transit WithOut Visa ) With all the major operations going on with AA DL & B6 , Domestically we would get killed ! It would only make sense at this time to run and expand operations at JFK if ALL the Star Alliance partners could guarantee feed. Star Alliance members are all present at JFK with the exception of BMI & AirCanada.

"It would only make sense at this time to run and expand operations at JFK if ALL the Star Alliance partners could guarantee feed. Star Alliance members are all present at JFK with the exception of BMI & AirCanada."

Actually, AC serves JFK with one flight to YVR and they add a JFK-YYC flight next week.

just because you can fill a plane doesn't mean it will be profitable

As stated it's possible for some feed into JFK from PHL, PIT, CLT but that's about it. Only reason US west serves JFK is the lack of slots in LGA.

LOL! Of course! I think all of us know that the Tri-State(NY,NJ,CT)area has probably the largest population of people of PR decent outside of PR itself.
These flights would do great im sure.

sky high states: Have you ever sat near the runway in SJU and watched the aircraft take off? American Airlines has WIDE-BODY after WIDE-BODY taking off there.
The percentage of New Yorkers who are PR decent is 25 percent. It's, of course, about yield, not load factor.

JFK will stay as is with PHX/LAS. Look for US to resume a much greater mainline presence at LGA in the not too distant future.

US/HP operates from Terminal 7 at JFK, which also houses UA and BA. It was built in 1970 and is in dire need of refurbishment.

Compared to some other terminals (IAB, Pan Am/Delta Worldport, old TWA Terminal 6) that we have been housed at JFK, Terminal 7 is by far the best we have had at JFK. Not saying that it can't use a facelift, but it is far better than many other terminals at that airport. I haven't had a chance to see the AA terminal since it's upgrade at JFK...but I am sure that is probably restricted to AA and a handful of One World carriers.

Expansion at JFK would probably require a different terminal for added gate capacity. Right now T7 is full up with BA flights, United transcons, Iberia, Qantas, Icelandic and Cathay Pacific. We use 3 gates there now and sometimes that can be difficult if one of the other carriers has a delay and leaves us with a gate hold out on the tarmac.

I really do not see any need for us to expand at JFK beyond what we already have. Perhaps a couple of flights to CLT and PIT might be a good idea in the future. The Caribbean is oversaturated with flights from JFK and I think the new US would be better off serving those markets from the hubs and focus cities already established.

JFK will stay as is with PHX/LAS. Look for US to resume a much greater mainline presence at LGA in the not too distant future.
A few years back I swore there was a plan to knock down the old TWA hanger at LGA and build and expansion from the US terminal. This addition was going to house all the express operations for US out of LGA.
I would love to see mainline get back some of the gates that Express currently uses.
What "greater" mainline presence are we talking about here? It would be nice to see LGA-MCO,TPA,PBI,SRQ,RSW service come back, but i dont think the yields are there for that.

It's not the lack of slots. It's the perimeter rule. It's illegal to fly into LGA from anywhere west of Denver - except on Saturdays.

The "Perimeter rule " is a local Port Authority rule and not an F.A.A. regulation. The reason the Port Authority envokes this self imposed rule is they control EWR / JFK & LGA and does not want to compete with itself. USWest has had at least two meetings along with their legal counsel and the Port Authority to try to hammer out an agreement for LAS and PHX exclusive slots. These meetings took place at the LGA USAirways club.