US Announces Resignation of EVP, Operations Al Crellin

Jonnyd

Advanced
Jul 12, 2004
US AIRWAYS ANNOUNCES RESIGNATION OF ExecuTIVE VICE PRESIDENT, OPERATIONS AL CRELLIN
October 16, 2006

US Airways today announced Executive Vice President, Operations Al Crellin has elected to leave the company, effective Nov. 15. Crellin, 59, oversees the airline’s flight operations, maintenance and safety departments. He was instrumental in establishing the airline’s operating certificate merger plan, which is on track for completion in the first half of 2007.

Crellin began his airline career at Pacific Southwest Airlines in 1971. He rose through the ranks at PSA and was that airline’s vice president of customer service when it was acquired by US Airways in 1988. At US Airways, he held a series of operations roles at the executive level, culminating in executive vice president, operations in 2002. He retained that title at the new US Airways after its merger with America West Airlines in September 2005.

Chairman and CEO Doug Parker said, “Al has dedicated 35 years to our airline and we are extremely grateful for his leadership and professionalism. In the past year, he has done a fantastic job of leading the process to merge US Airways and America West onto a single operating certificate. His experience and operational knowledge have also ensured that we have an extremely capable team in place to continue the initiatives he put into place. His contributions to our airline are vast, and we wish him the best in his new endeavors.â€￾

With today's announcement, the airline's president, Scott Kirby, will assume overall responsibility for the flight operations, maintenance and safety functions. The maintenance department will continue to report to Senior Vice President, Technical Operations Hal Heule, who will now report to Kirby. In addition, the safety and regulatory compliance department will now report to Heule. The flight operations and inflight departments will continue to report to Senior Vice President, Flight Operations/Inflight Ed Bular, who will now also report to Kirby. Chief Financial Officer Derek Kerr, who prior to today’s announcement reported to Kirby, will now report directly to Chairman and CEO Doug Parker.

Someone had to take the fall.

WE all knew he was going to be the fallguy.

Eventually all of us were just screaming that he should have been given the old heave ho sooner.

I wonder what was the breaking point.
Accidently sending out the wrong OPS numbers. :angry:
Still not having the correct staffing numbers in PHL. :shock:

The list goes on and Al had to know he would be gone soon since he was the only senior US exec still around.

I wonder if Ben B. will have him come work at Spirit? :D

It will be interesting to see how Kirby takes on this role. He already has tons on his plate as far as responsibilities go, and we all know the PHL has to always be a top priority. He's a good guy and I hope he can improve and fix the situation.

What a shame. I'm sure it takes a lot of hard work to make sure this airline operates at all.

I see Scott only filling in until a replacement is named. Maintenance is a huge complex organism that requires someone with experience to run. Wow, what an annoucement! Could DP be turning the corner on the promoting a healthier work environment? Certainely it will be viewed as a positive step.

he doesnt need any severance package hes already rich off of us furlough employees and the ones from the employees and the 2 ch11
i for one am happy to see him go. party after he leaves

I see Scott only filling in until a replacement is named. Maintenance is a huge complex organism that requires someone with experience to run. Wow, what an annoucement! Could DP be turning the corner on the promoting a healthier work environment? Certainely it will be viewed as a positive step.

CW was that Al was well over his head with PSA. Occupying an FAA mandated position was the only thing on his resume that kept him in place.

The Feds must have approved someone else, the paperwork came down and Al is out. I don't think it is more complicated than that.

On another note.

Trapped fuel on an aux tank on 321, divert to PHX. The mech. was faxed a procedure to empty the tank into the center. A little more than half way down the faxed page was a line saying, Procedure from pilot who claims he got it from a tech rep.

Following the procedure, nearly all the fuel from the right wing was transferred to the center tank, still trapped fuel.

Wonder if the Feds would like to see a writeup on that.......

What about the union?

I hope so. I wonder if this came as a shock to Doug Parker or if he knew about it for awhile? Either way, I don't suppose it makes a difference. "The Top" has been doin some strange things recent weeks.. people dyin, quitin, and replacin. :(

Someone had to take the fall.

WE all knew he was going to be the fallguy.

I'm not sure "fall guy" is the right word. "Fall guy" implies innocence. Besides, that's one of the job requirements of being an executive...take the fall when required, fall on the sword...whatever you want to call it. This is a part of executive life that some folks forget when complaining about their cushy exec perks and salaries. Regardless this is exciting news!