US Airways Taking RFB for 737-900ER

Diamondbacks2004

Advanced
Mar 29, 2004
Scott Kirby said today in a crew news section, US is accepting RFPs from Airbus and Boeing. He said they are very close to a decision between the 737-900ER or the A321. Whatever one they choose will replace the domestic 757's? What do you think if 737-900ER will get ETOPS certified and blended winglets but A321 doesn't?

Also noted, Scott talked briefly on a wide body replacement order. No details on that.

Why would we replace an aircraft that can make it transcon without a fuel stop, make it to Hawaii/ETOP, etc. with an aircraft that can not?

One would hope that neither A/C would replace the 757. But rather the older 737's we have. Removing the 757's at this time would be foolish.

dear lord, as a FA I so prefer the airbus product, please, please, please let it be the 321!

You probably haven't seen the NG 737s. The CAL and DAL airplanes are beautiful on the inside, every bit as good as an airbus but then there is also the maintenance advantage of it being a Boeing. No weird pump noises, no rattles, no sense at all that the thing is about to come apart like there is on a Bus. Don't be spooked by the designator "737" because the only thing the NG has in common with the 737-300/400 is where they were/are made. The NG is a whole new airplane from the wheels up.

One would hope that neither A/C would replace the 757. But rather the older 737's we have. Removing the 757's at this time would be foolish.

SOME of the 757's NEED TO BE RETIRED. We are flying the first one ever built. She's a good old gal, but needs to be in a museum.

The boeing fact sheet shows 3200nm range with a 2 class layout and 2 aux fuel tanks. Would this be a decent replacement to the 757 ETOPS for the ~3000nm trips like Ireland, Portugal or Scotland?

Also, all things considered equal, if the Boeing fact sheet is correct in it's statement:

"Weighs more than 10,000 pounds (4,536 kgs) less than the A321. Has lower operating costs than the A321; about 9 percent lower per trip, and 7 percent lower per seat."

Then why WOULDN'T US go with this?

You prbably haven't seen the NG 737s. The CAL and DAL airplanes are beautiful on the inside, every bit as good as an airbus but then there is also the maintenance advantage of it being a Boeing. No weird pump noises, no rattles, no sense at all that the thing is about to come apart like there is on a Bus. Don't be spooked by the designator "737" because the only thing the NG has in common with the 737-300/400 is where they were/are made. The NG is a whole new airplane from the wheels up.

Not true.

It's still the same old 737 noisy cockpit with no room for your crew luggage. One or two cramped jumpseats for your government required or other guests.

The F/As still have to get down and deal with the girt bar for the escape slides on each arrival and departure.

After riding on both as a passenger and in the cockpit, I would take the Airbus product hands down over the 737, at least in the current USAirways East configuration. (See other threads on the bastardization of that fleet by Tempe marketing)

As a FA I like the Airbus 320 family better than the B737 family. The NGs are of course nice but the cabin just doesnt compare to the Airbuses, you still have the same old 737 when it comes down to it. Widebodies are a different story- the 767 family is great (not our ones) as are the 777s. I would love to see what the 747-8 will be like, but I am a big fan of the A330/A340 family and like that the baby buses are pretty consistent with them whereas Boeings are all over the place. And I'm more of an arming lever girl than girt bar, although I'm can't remember if the newer 737s dont have some sort of handle? We'd have to ask our friends at Delta. Ooops, maybe Continental. :)

Can't Airbus just make an A322 :up: ? Like a super stretch, Etops, with super range? ;)

I agree that the Airbus is easier and better to work for a FA. However, I am not a fan of the 321 because it is underpowered for it's mission. From the airline's perspective, I think the 737-900ER is a better choice. However, I don't think it could reliably fly BOS-LAX non-stop in the winter. 2600nm trip and 3200 nm max range, and I don't think the 3200 nm includes any reserves on top.

...And I'm more of an arming lever girl than girt bar, although I'm can't remember if the newer 737s dont have some sort of handle? We'd have to ask our friends at Delta. Ooops, maybe Continental. :)

We don't have the B-737-700's yet, so I can't answer that one. The 737-800's do have the regular ol' girt bars. Everyone has their preference. I've worked MD-88, MD-90,727,737,747,757,767,777,MD-11 & L-1011. On the Airbus side, I've only worked the A310, A330 and A340. My preference is definitely Boeing. The A340 felt like we were going to drive to Europe (seemed very underpowered) and the "pings" and "cracks" and other strange noises would always get us weird looks from pax. My very, very favorite was the
L-1011.

Having flown extensively on Airbii and more recently 737NG, I would think all things considered the 737 would be the choice. I have heard from many that Airbus is cheaper to purchase, but the cost of ownership (read maintenance) is higher. I also think the 737 interior is somewhat nicer and the aircraft does appear to be more quiet (both engine noise and slipstream).

I certainly hope there are no more 321's--already performance challenged, and will get worse once the ill advised reconfig is done.

Why not just add a couple of wing pods that you could either add drop fuel tanks to it or if necessary sidewinders (national security).

Latest posts