Maintenance Metrics for US Fleet

Boeing4me

Feb 8, 2004
I was recently reading an article on the retirement of the F-14 Tomcat from the Navy fleet. It was interesting to read that the F-14 had gotten to the point that for every 1 hour of flight time it required 48 man hours of maintenance time to keep her flight safe. The replacement F-18 is something like a 1:9 ratio.

I am curious to ask the maintenance types that read the board here are there similar type of metrics for the US Fleet? How do US 737's compare to the A319/320 fleet. How do US 757's compare to the A321 fleet (and yes, I have read about Christine the hangar queen!). B767's vs. A330? ETOPS vs. no ETOPS?

I don't mean to turn this into a Boeing/Airbus discussion – I know thats been done before. I am just curious as to what it takes to keep the US fleet up in the air from a maintenance perspective.

(and yes, I have read about Christine the hangar queen!). B767's vs. A330? ETOPS vs. no ETOPS?
Christine the hangar queen? Hmmm you have me curious. I must read up on this.

She is Greek women “as per her famous last nameâ€￾ on everything especially EO’s who happens to be a well educated engineer on the aircraft. When I worked with her she didn't take short cuts in maintenance and in fact scraped a lot of stuff out whether it cost the company a pile of money or not. Safety seems to be her main concern. She wrote a lot of EO’s and answered questions a lot of her peers were either afraid to answer or simply didn’t know. Of course I am sure one can get a different read from these fantasy boards.

They are referring to “Christineâ€￾ the airplane. Actually if memory serves me correctly a 757 with a tail number like 601 or 605.

Thats the one I recall reading about elsewhere on this board.

600...........Yeah! that sounds right........thanks.........I remember years ago everyone including myself would dread when you knew she was coming to your gate or you had her for the night.

600AU has been a headache for years...Just another shinning example of work being performed by Scabs at Eastern , then 3rd party hacks before U took delivery of it.

Back to the origional question of Metrics...I doubt anyone has actual facts on this , as I'm sure no airline would be keen on disclosing such a thing. I'm sure the Manufacturer of a given type would love to pump out figures..but they are also in the business of promoting and selling their product too.

On another note....asking what a 20 to 25 yearold Boeing is doing Vs. a 4 to 7 yearold Airbus is kinda nuts. The Boeings soldier on as well as anything we own , often better...and the Airbus Fleet does what it does pretty well too.

The issues of anything we have at present boils down to built in flaws , fair wear and tear and the logistical support element that it takes to correct them.

Most from a mechanical standpoint prefer the Boeing when it comes to being a rock solid airframe..but some are quick to point out how easy the Airbus is to actually troubleshoot.

In all fairness...Let's address the value and virtues once the Airbus Fleet gets some more age on them...as we have already seen stuctural and corrosion isuess on the Bus fleet that would not be seen on a Boeing at better than twice or more the age.

Phantom Fixer is undoubtedly right - there's probably no publicly available data on maintenance man-hours per flight hour for commercial aircraft.

Undoubtedly it's orders of magnatude less than military aircraft. After all, military planes have mission dependent designs and maintenance considerations have only recently been considered important.

If anyone was interested enough, the data is available to make a semi-educated guess. It would entail picking a single airplane and tracking the maintenance personnel cost and hours flown thru a complete heavy maintenance cycle using the BTS data submitted by the carrier. The educated guess would come when it was time to convert dollar expenditures to man-hours. The semi-educated would be from not having the data on component repair/overhaul costs or man-hours.

Frankly, I suspect it'd come in at less than 1 man-hour per flight hour.

Jim

Frankly, I suspect it'd come in at less than 1 man-hour per flight hour.

Jim

I find the number of less than 1 man-hour per hour to be both amazing and wonderfully encouraging as well. To think that a machine as complex as a modern airliner can fly the heavy schedules day-in, day-out with the level of reliability that we see today is a testament to the engineering that goes into these aircraft.

How about ETOPS aircraft vs. Non-ETOPS? Does and ETOPS require much more work than a non?

I find the number of less than 1 man-hour per hour to be both amazing and wonderfully encouraging as well. To think that a machine as complex as a modern airliner can fly the heavy schedules day-in, day-out with the level of reliability that we see today is a testament to the engineering that goes into these aircraft.

How about ETOPS aircraft vs. Non-ETOPS? Does and ETOPS require much more work than a non?

ETOPS is by far lower....as planes tend to break while sitting...and high cycle use on the domestic fleet adds to the hours of maintenance required. Think about it.

Found some info in PPS format that covers some aspects of commercial aviation:

Powerpoint

Slide 32

American Airlines Aircraft Maintenance Procedures

American Airlines is proud of its maintenance record, procedures and employees. The airline performs 11 man-hours of maintenance for every one hour of flight time on its aircraft. The time frame for maintenance procedures is based on a combination of the number of hours the aircraft flies, the number of take-offs and landings (referred to as "cycles") it makes, plus the age of the aircraft. Here is a brief explanation of American’s maintenance check procedures:

"PS" Daily Checks
Every aircraft is checked every day in its "PS" (Periodic Service) check. The aircraft is visually inspected and its maintenance log book is checked for entries and maintenance needs. The "PS" check can be performed overnight or during downtime during the flight day. It averages approximately two man-hours.

"A" Checks
The "A" check is more detailed than the "PS" check. "A" checks are performed roughly once a week (approximately 60 flight hours). The "A" check is performed at one of 40 stations around American’s system. It averages 10 - 20 man-hours.

"B" Checks
The "B" check is an even more thorough maintenance check. The "B" check is done approximately once a month (roughly 300 - 500 flight hours). Besides specific service performed on the aircraft, a detailed series of systems and operational checks are performed. American always performs "B" checks inside one of its hangars at seven different cities around its system. A "B" check requires approximately 100 man-hours on narrowbody aircraft (those with only one aisle) and approximately 200 - 300 man-hours on widebody aircraft (those with two aisles).

"C" Checks
The "C" check is the most thorough type of maintenance work performed by American. The airframe - virtually the entire aircraft - goes through an exhaustive series of checks, inspections and overhaul work. It is performed at either of American’s heavy maintenance and engineering centers in Tulsa, Oklahoma or the Alliance Maintenance Facility in Fort Worth, Texas. There are different levels of "C" checks depending on the type of aircraft. These include:

Narrowbody "C" Checks
American does two types of "C" checks on its narrowbody planes. The first is a "Light C" check, which occurs approximately once a year. It requires approximately 2,100 man-hours and three days to accomplish. Every fourth "Light C" check becomes a "Heavy C" check. This check requires 20,000 - 30,000 man-hours and takes from three to five weeks to accomplish.

Widebody "C" Checks
Because of the complexity of widebody aircraft, all "C" checks are "Heavy C" checks. The complete airframe inspection and service is done every 15 - 18 months. It takes approximately 10,000 man-hours and from two to four weeks to accomplish a widebody "C" check.

Jet Engine Overhauls
Modern jet engines are among the most reliable devices in aviation. American does not replace and overhaul jet engines at a specific number of hours. Instead, American uses a 24-hour-a-day "condition monitoring" process that scientifically tracks the condition of every engine on every aircraft. Besides visual inspection, technicians monitor the internal condition of every engine, using such procedures as boroscope inspections and oil sample spectographs. The goal is to replace and overhaul an engine before a problem can occur. Engine overhauls are performed at the Tulsa and Alliance-Fort Worth Maintenance and Engineering facilities. The engine replacement is usually performed at one of the six "B" check hangar locations around the country.

This info is out there. I've seen the numbers on Aviation Daily's web site. I'm not a personal subscriber so I can only see the info from work. I'll check next week.

Those numbers are very suspect though. You have to ask, Who is doing the calculating? Some mechanics put a lot of time down, others do stuff and never charge the time to the airplane. This happens a lot with nonsafety cabin items.

Those numbers are very suspect though. You have to ask, Who is doing the calculating? Some mechanics put a lot of time down, others do stuff and never charge the time to the airplane. This happens a lot with nonsafety cabin items.

Exactly. It's like answering the question "how long is a length of rope?" Damn near impossible as there IS no ONE standard measurement, but just minimum requirements....when enforced. There are just so many variables as you mention: Modifications and retrofits ( as the carrier sees fit ), appearance upgrades ( interor exterior ), Climate the A/C "lived" in, type of flights/ # of cycles, parts/spares availability; For want of a part or even tooling/equipment, an A/C can be down much much longer as opposed to just an a few hours. Do we stop the clock waiting? Of course not. Does THAT count against an A/C?

Latest posts