Us Airways To Loose 800 Loyal Employees

700UW said:
I voted no, and it did not matter how any utility person voted, the mechanics far out number the utility.
[post="256175"][/post]​

WRONG; less thant 40% of mechanics voted ( the majority did not vote because there was no gain ) you either take what they give you or the judge will shove it down the throat.
remember the IAM stand " WE WILL NOT NEGOCIATE JOB LOSES" well , we lost the jobs , the retirement, wages,sick time,holidays,vacation, job functions,paid lunch, and then some.
if the mechanics and related voted NO, the judge would have implemented anything the company asked for., because the IAM REFUSED TO NEGOCIATE.

DONT BLAME THIS ON THE MECHANICS, BLAME IT ON THE UNION THE IAM ALONE.

IAM :down: :down: :down:

Did you go to all 18 stations and find out how many mechanics voted?

I would like to see your proof on the above claim.

The IAM refused to negotiate?

Funny I did not see you up at CCY for the 12 weeks that negotiations took place.

Where do you dream up this stuff?

700UW said:
US Airways to Loose 800 Loyal Employees to Save Money

By the end of March, US Airways will furlough almost all but 50 of its aircraft cleaners to bring in cheaper contractors to clean their aircraft. Most of these employees had been with the company for 15 plus years.

Many of these employees started cleaning aircraft when Piedmont and US Air merged back in 1988. Most of the employees that joined the utilities department in 1988, came from the fleet service department.

US Airways will begin using vendors the clean the overnight aircraft and through flights in many stations. Many airlines have vendors cleaning their aircraft and many have gone back to their own people because of theft or poor cleaning of the aircraft.

One Cleaner said," Most of us in the past years have taken great pride in assuring that our aircraft cleanliness was second to none. Cleaning air sickness accidents, dumping lavs, and cleaning totally trashed cabins are job functions that have gone without notice for many years."

The options for these employees are very slim. They can take the severance pay and move on to other employment or come to the fleet service department and basically start all over again.

We wish these employees the very best in whatever they decide to do in the future.
[post="256151"][/post]​

substitute the word pilot for cleaners and you will now begin to see what the aviators have been facing early 1988 gets you bottom first officer job. bear in mind finding employment in aviation is quite tough as we are all aware now also bear in mind the average pilot job has approximately 2500 applicants, this time they are all just as qualified as you. just the facts, to replace other salaries threr are many lateral choices for the very specific skills of pilots this is not the case.
while sympathetic to everyone 's plight, the pilot group has been in this situation for ALOT longer than other groups. and oh yeah, we (the pilot group) haven't gotten a buyout offer like the other groups either.

I hate to tell you this, but there are more mechanic and related on furlough at US then pilots, and I don't see j4j at any express carrier for them to fill.

The IAM was forced to negotiate due to the Section 1113 c filing, but you knew that.

etops1 said:
many of those 800 people voted themsevles out of a job . so wahts the problem? <_<
[post="256157"][/post]​

etops,

These folks did not vote themselves out of a job, IAM by a slime margin passed the last and final co. proposal.

Least we ever forget and become ignorant all over again.

I wish our utlility folks the best life has, and they will be surely missed.

If they did such a great job then why are the aircraft so filthy? Right buddy, I have seen the cleaning style.

Maybe you should look at the facts.

US Airways flies into 89 mainline stations, there is only Utility at 8 of those stations on all three shifts and there were 10 third shift stations only.

So on days and seconds there are 81 stations where vendors, F/As or agents clean the plane, not Utility.

At 71 stations the RON A/C are cleaned by Vendors or Ramp.

Gee it looks like 80% of the cleaning is NOT done by utility, and where utility is staffed they are severly short-handed.

The company eliminated the SCO Program about two years ago, that is where a plane every 30 days was given a deep cleaning.

The security checks were added to be done and no manpower added to accomplish that, so the cleaning time is now reduced.

Maybe if you do a bit of investigating and used the facts you would have realized what has transpired instead of trying to attack, insult and slam a group of workers.

marco90821 said:
If they did such a great job then why are the aircraft so filthy? Right buddy, I have seen the cleaning style.
[post="256509"][/post]​
I can answer that. Management tied our hands when it came to cleaning an A/C.
Supplies were often scarce. Manpower was atrocious, we always worked short. More work was piled on and expected to be done in the same 8 hour period. Something had to give, and unfortunately it was quality. Our current band of Mgmt idiots seem to believe that quantity is better than quality. As long as they can go on their morning conference call and say they completed this and that, they were happy.
So Genious, before you go pointing at the cleanliness of the A/C as the reason for the working class getting outsourced, get All the facts, and not just the ones you think you know. :angry:

Hey Fatherof2,

Why don't you explain to him the A/C wash that the director in CLT praised third shift line for doing, when in actuality it was not done for over 30 days and a foreman pencil-whipped the work every night but yet nothing was done to the foreman for lying and falsifying company job cards.

700UW said:
Hey Fatherof2,

Why don't you explain to him the A/C wash that the director in CLT praised third shift line for doing, when in actuality it was not done for over 30 days and a foreman pencil-whipped the work every night but yet nothing was done to the foreman for lying and falsifying company job cards.
[post="256518"][/post]​
This is indeed a fact! When Jeff Evers found out, he went thru the roof! We were then assigned to wash the A/C with no more than 3 people and some nights as few as 1 person. As long as some water and soap were splashed on a part of the A/C, our inept mgmt team happily accepted that, and wrote it off as an exterior wash!

PITbull said:
IAM by a slime margin passed the last and final co. proposal.
[post="256359"][/post]​
:lol: I know it was a typo, but still...:lol: Were you, perchance, wearing a Freudian slip? :D

PineyBob said:
I overheard an interesting comment from a Club employee yesterday regarding the outsourcing of the 20+ out stations. The person said "That's just great! In 20 years here I've never heard anyone come in here and complain about the baggage handlers in ROC, ABE etc, So they get rid of those GOOD people and keep the "Slugs" in PHL"

This folks is the reputation you have amongst your OWN people. I can't say that I disagree with the person.
[post="256504"][/post]​

This is why the IAM did not let anybody from the 'to-be-outsourced' stations anywhere near the negotiating committee.

The fact is, the rampers in the out-stations have more skills and responsibilities than large stations.

In the large stations, the bulk of the rampers are bin rats. You can't get away with that in an out-station.

We've had many agents transfer in from large stations, thinking our little corner of heaven would be a piece of cake. They inevitably #### abound the load and job knowledge requirements, and transfer out. They can't airstart, deice, security search or clean - they have to be trained for that. All in all, not much more use than a new hire. In some ways, worse, because a lot of them brought their 'big city amongst the rubes' attitude with them.

The upshot of which is, the company, with the IAM holding their coat, is getting rid of their most knowledgeable rampers.

and now the really sad part is, what kind of service will they have from these new scabs? also the new ones will have to be trained by whomever the contractors are and they will have a high turnover rate as such is the case in AVP. I guess USAIR just doesnt like having the experienced employees except in the large cities including the all too problematic phlly which should have been outsourced