Us F Vs Ua F--no Comparison

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
Before I begin, let me say up front that I do not mean to diminish the importance of the labor or other financial issues going on here, nor am I doing this as "another spoiled customer". I am merely attempting to point out some more penny wise and pound foolish steps by the powers that be.......and in the general scheme of things they DO make a difference.

I recently had two back to back trips--one on US one on UA. There was no comparison between the two in the actual product. UA is obviously making the effort to retain the business traveler, while US appears to be more concerned with the leisure traveler--UA's F product keeps getting better while US' F product just keeps slipping into the sunset.

US F vs UA F

UA has a full meal service on a 2 hour flight, not the half a happy meal...why can't U?

UA has glassware in F.......why can't U?

UA has silverware (except knives)......why can't U?

UA has full linen service in F-tablecloth AND napkin....why can't U?

UA still has hot towels in F.....why can't U?

On a midcon flight (LGA-DEN), they even do a second "snack" service prior to arrival....nice.

I have become conditioned to lower my expectations of U's F product--I upgrade because of the added comfort, not necessarily the meal/amenity. However, it is interesting to note that UA's financial condition has been as bad if not worse than U's, yet they choose to make the F class product better than the competiton not worse.

The crews on ALL flights were great--even SNA-DEN although a bit stressed out they were good.

Also it seems that they are marketing the Channel 9 feature as an exclusive--which it is--and they point it out to customers much more frequently...

It is apparent UA is capitalizing on their strengths while it is entirely possible that U doesn't even know what theirs are.......

Had I been a customer without affiliation to one or the other, I know which I would choose for future travel......

If U want's to get rid of F let them do it completely, not in steps as it appears they are....

My best to you all..........

Art at ISP said:
UA's F product keeps getting better while US' F product just keeps slipping into the sunset.

It is apparent UA is capitalizing on their strengths while it is entirely possible that U doesn't even know what theirs are.......

Had I been a customer without affiliation to one or the other, I know which I would choose for future travel......
Why not write a letter to the "powers that be" with this company. Those of us on the front line have no say as to those matters. Decisions are made in Crystal City and then we are thrown to the wolves. I work frontline for the company and I am embarassed by the product we offer.

Because US' corporate executives have no clue what good service is and I believe they really don't care about the passengers.

One good thing about Wolf and Gangwal is they made sure first class was truly first class pre 9/11.

Right now the only thing US first class is a bigger seat.

WestCoastGuy said:
Why not write a letter to the "powers that be" with this company. Those of us on the front line have no say as to those matters. Decisions are made in Crystal City and then we are thrown to the wolves. I work frontline for the company and I am embarassed by the product we offer.
West,

I am doing better than that---I am going to bring it up during the one on one conversations at Roachfest.

Like I said, UA has decided they want the business traveler. US either doesn't want us or hasn't decided what they want. Their game appears to be aimed at WN's market not UA's. Not what I would expect, but I am not surprised.

FC is a total embarrassment on U. It makes me sick what we offer our customers. I have done an awful lot of apologizing. I have often suggested that the FC folks write the company or do whatever to get things changed.

Heck, many would be glad to buy a BOB meal. That is BAD.

Thanks Art for your continued support and concerns. :up:

PS: Even our snack basket sucks anymore.

Art

Many of the frontline folks believe in their hearts that CCY wants to do away with First. They may be right. I'm beginning to believe this as well.

I have flown another carrier for most of the summer due to reason I will not list here. (OK, one hint: I no longer consider myself a loyal cockroach, just call me a COACH ROACH) It has given me the opportunity, as you, to experience service on some other carriers. First let me say that given the experience, US still has the best folks on the front line. With that said I was surprised at difference in service vs. US.

I'm not real big on glassware and silverware as some folks are, but I will tell you it was nice to have them on the other flights. I've been told the cost to cater a flight with glass on US was approaching $1.00 per glass, per flight. That's alot of money everyday. If that is the case, I can live with the plastic. Snacks and food however is someting different. Why in the world would CCY think I would pay for first given the lack of anything decent to eat on a flight of more than 2 hours.

And yes it will be a very interesting meeting in PHL. I do hope we can have an open and honest conversation without us coming off as whiners. But several discussions with management have enlighten me to the point that they do not always have an idea of what if really happening on the front line. They will by 5:00 PM on the 7th. B)

I'll echo Art's comments. UA is making a wonderful effort at retaining business travelers. I urge every US elite to book an A-class ticket on UA and see what the difference is. I've diverted almost all of my flying to UA at this point, as even the Coach service just can't compare.

UA even has a "full" (and good!) meal service on shorter flights (e.g., SEA-LAX). When was the last time US served a meal BOS-CLT? ;)

Art , You hit the nail on head. The very thing that many feel makes SWA work? LOWERED EXPATATIONS!

Q: Why US First Class is inferior to UA's?

A: Because those who make the decisions about First Class, like so many other decisions throughout the company, do so without concern for the passenger's experience. They may say otherwise but the First Class comparison is a good example.
Here's another...The Kiosks which get so much attention here.
What the company says something like the kiosks "enhance" the passenger's experience. And to those who use them and like them, then great.
However, the company requires that passengers be forcibly herded to the kiosks. What the passenger prefers is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if they are an infrequent flyer, kiosk-challenged, or simply prefer a more human touch The result is mayhem with the kiosk area from a distance resembling a beehive of activity but up close is actually chaotic mix of those who want to use the kiosks, those who don't want to use them but have learned using them is compulsory, and those attempting to use them but are being told by the kiosk to "see an agent!" Added to this mix are lots of bags, carts, barking dogs in kennels, crying babies, all penned in by ropes and stanchions which inhibits moving their bags, kids, pets, etc. into the corral of chaos and after check-in must be navigated through the mess for TSA screaming.
Like the First Class example, the Kiosks and many other decisions, the passenger isn’t considered at all.

God topic, Art. On the few US flights I've been on this year I have actually noticed the FA's embarassed about what the company asks them to serve in FC. And rightfully so. There really is no comparison between the experience in AA or UA's domestic FC offering and what US offers. Internationally, Envoy Class on the A-330 is a good product but US's domestic FC is really at the bottom. US should be careful to not become too much like the LCC's as they can not offer a competative product there either. A comparison between JetBlue's leather seats and PTV's vs. US's worn and tired 737's is all it takes.

This decline in service is exactly why I have dropped from over 100,000 butt-in-seat miles on US to less than 10,000 so far this year. It pains me because I too would rather fly US as their routes structure and convenience out of DCA is really pretty good for me.

The days of Passenger Service (remember that term?)

Oh excuse me it's now CUSTOMER service, days of catering to the public is LONG GONE..

This company has NO CONCEPT how to ..

Their Thoughts?

CONCESSIONS>CONCESSIONS<MORE CONCESSIONS>>>

DWELL DWELL DWELL>>>>

It's just the same carry over from the old days of USair. The attitude of take it or leave it. After all these years, they still have no concept of Customer Service. Just count the money and forget the customer.