US/UA merger or something of that sort

United just gave us free coach travel, last time that happen was during the last merge atempt with US, and after that fell through they went back to charging us, not sure of the exact timeline for all this <_< . Other then nightly business report guy mentioning it, have not heard much.

Sorry folks, but IF a merger is announced it will be between UA and CO. US is a problem no one wants to touch. Just look at the civil war going on there right now.

CO can't be involved in any deals until NW makes a move and gives up its "golden share."

It may end up that the first movers are UA (Tilton) and US (Parker) only for the fact that both of these guys seem like they would rather do a "deal" then run and airline.

IMHO

The UAL employees will destroy the airline before they'd allow a merger with an abortion like US. IMHO

The UAL employees will destroy the airline before they'd allow a merger with an abortion like US. IMHO
And to think I thought you were a nice person. Very uncalled for remark, Fly!! :down: :down:

You've just given Tempe a way to get rid of a competitor and cut capacity then. Announce a merger, let the UA employees destroy the airline and suddenly theres no glut of seats left. Piece of cake. :blink:

I'm not there, so it wouldn't be me doing it but I can ensure you that it would happen.

Second, you aren't the competition. US is an implosion. If UA employees destroyed the airline, AA would pick the carcass clean.

I'm not trying to be cruel, I'm trying to be "REAL". Read the US boards to get a sense of what is happening. Both the employees AND your passengers are unhappy. The pilots are still fighting over the seniority merge, the management team has destroyed a once fine service, and the employees are overworked and demoralized. Why would any other airline employees want a merger with your group?

The "abortion," as you so eloquently put it, sure does make a lot of money, though. If US had the investors to make a serious play for Delta, I am sure they can do the same to United. United has stated they are in the consolidation game (and CO is not an option if the NWA clause is really true). I am not defending US Airways -- I realize the operations are horrible -- BUT, these things are all about money. A UAL/US merger would continue to reduce capacity in the skies (in the event that PHL and IAD were consolidated), raise fares, and make the wealthy, well, wealthier. I say they merge and just rename the US operation TED.

Regarding the comment about UAL employees destroying the airline -- considering that people have mortgages, kids, car payments, tuition payments, etc., I am not so sure that would really happen. Sure they would be pi$$ed, but what can they really do?

They can do exactly what Delta did about a year ago. No one wants to merge with US anymore. Watching from the sidelines proves that to everyone.

There have been merger discussions between US & UA management again, but I agree that union problems could prevent or kill a deal. How many times have we seen this before? For example, the 1995 UA-US merger attempt and more recently the recent US-DL merger attempt.

However, if the threat of real job loss and asset transfers is used to influence labor then who know's, management could force the deal on labor if both Board's desire a consensual deal.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I'm not there, so it wouldn't be me doing it but I can ensure you that it would happen.

Second, you aren't the competition. US is an implosion. If UA employees destroyed the airline, AA would pick the carcass clean.

I'm not trying to be cruel, I'm trying to be "REAL". Read the US boards to get a sense of what is happening. Both the employees AND your passengers are unhappy. The pilots are still fighting over the seniority merge, the management team has destroyed a once fine service, and the employees are overworked and demoralized. Why would any other airline employees want a merger with your group?

What any airline employee wants is irrelevant to what an airline's board wants!

Back