US/UA merger or something of that sort

Not necessarily so. True, UAL corp. can do anything it wants with the assets but to increase the value, a reasonably contented workforce will bring a higher price, better interest rate, and greater investor confidence (influx of more capital). If a merger/takeover offered a promise of enhanced employee equity, then it may well be accepted over the status quo.

JMHO,
B) UT

Not necessarily so. True, UAL corp. can do anything it wants with the assets but to increase the value, a reasonably contented workforce will bring a higher price, better interest rate, and greater investor confidence (influx of more capital). If a merger/takeover offered a promise of enhanced employee equity, then it may well be accepted over the status quo.

JMHO,
B) UT

You and I both know we that can NOT stop it if it is going to be.

JMHO,
B) UT
Unfortunately, Management is doing all that it can to kill any contentment in the workforce. Work rules and even Labor Laws are being disregarded on the property these days. Quality folks are in the process of looking for something else. Money is all that matters to Glenn and Co--people are out of their equation and 'raiding' business model. My only hope is that a business manager takes over, not a law-breaking Corporate raider of the subtle kind...

They can do exactly what Delta did about a year ago. No one wants to merge with US anymore. Watching from the sidelines proves that to everyone.
Keep United your United.....that is, unless United would be running the show. In that case make dougweiser your bitc$!!

LOL... I wish I was still naive enough to think that employees have any say or power in such matters, or that unions would 'shut the airline down' or really do anything at all... good for a laugh though.

If two airlines MANAGEMENTS want a deal to happen, it will happen regardless of what a flight attendant, baggage handler, or pilot happens to think about the idea.

US Airways is an operational and cultural mess, but one that makes more money than any other network carrier (not that any of them are really shining stars in the public eye either). They've said time and time again that they want to consolidate more. They have tons of aircraft on order but haven't really bothered to integrate the US/HP work groups or sit down and decide what kind of airline they would like to be. US employees have been around for a long time through a lot of mergers and know when something's up. Something's up.

United has had a FOR SALE sign in the window for a couple years now, and even places Match.com-esque classifieds in the media about what kind if airline they'd like to jump in with. They have no aircraft on order and don't seem to have any plans past another merger.

None of the other network carriers have been as vocal as these two on-again off-again love interests about consolidation unless it is in response to another merger. Continental has zero interest in United or any other carrier. American is too big to acquire an airline whole. Northwest is kind of a wild card. We saw how wacky cult like Delta was about a merger- and newsflash- it was not stews with buttons or res agents with signs that dissolved that scene. DL mgmt was not interested and a hostile takeover was attempted- completely different story than two willing parties, foot-stamping flight attendants or not.

The industry is notoriously unpredictable but this seems to be a pretty easy assumption to make.

it was not stews with buttons or res agents with signs that dissolved that scene. DL mgmt was not interested and a hostile takeover was attempted- completely different story than two willing parties, foot-stamping flight attendants or not.

The industry is notoriously unpredictable but this seems to be a pretty easy assumption to make.

Agree 1000%. What that smart management team did was get the employees on their side and it made for a good show--and in the end, DL's morale is very high because the employees feel like they won back the airline which helps them complete against the mess at US where morale (customers and employees) is in the toilet.

One of the reasons that I jumped ship to AA is that I think that it will be a UA/US merger and Doug could be at the controls ruining the service on UA.

I have been through 2 mergers and I would welcome United. I was on the team when we first looked into combining both Airlines and USAirways flight attendants will have some adjustments to say the least. I welcome change after 40 years even its not the best .America West/USAirways have made my life horrible and the threats and total disregard for passengers is awful............GOOD LUCK TO ALL

UA's best bet is probably a merger/buyout of some sort with another carrier. It would appear to be the only way to get a new management team in there that is actually interested in running an airline successfully. The current group of incompetent morons running the show at UA are nothing more than corporate pimps looking to pocket every nickel they can off the backs of the rank and file. And the BOD is not the least bit interested in holding them accountable because good 'ole Glenn is the one who chose most of them. Nice quid pro quo, eh? Such a deal!!!!!

UA's best bet is probably a merger/buyout of some sort with another carrier. It would appear to be the only way to get a new management team in there that is actually interested in running an airline successfully. The current group of incompetent morons running the show at UA are nothing more than corporate pimps looking to pocket every nickel they can off the backs of the rank and file. And the BOD is not the least bit interested in holding them accountable because good 'ole Glenn is the one who chose most of them. Nice quid pro quo, eh? Such a deal!!!!!

Careful what you wish for there! Imagine if the morons in Tempe were running United. It could always be worse, Jungle.

I'm not there, so it wouldn't be me doing it but I can ensure you that it would happen.

Second, you aren't the competition. US is an implosion. If UA employees destroyed the airline, AA would pick the carcass clean.

I'm not trying to be cruel, I'm trying to be "REAL". Read the US boards to get a sense of what is happening. Both the employees AND your passengers are unhappy. The pilots are still fighting over the seniority merge, the management team has destroyed a once fine service, and the employees are overworked and demoralized. Why would any other airline employees want a merger with your group?
WHO Runs YOUR AIRLINE? The Employee's? Or The CEO & Company? Your Not In charge anymore you Do not Even have any board Member's, on the Bd Of Director's do YOU?
:)

Just to Add Another NOTE: The UAL Management, team is Selling out or attempting to sell SFO Maintenance Facility, That Equate's to 5,500 Mechanic's Loosing there JOB's. SO is UAL Doing Good to the Employee's are they a Real Great Airline to Work for?
Are thier ROSE's Smelling so Great,that We should Yearn for the Merger?
Think About IT. :eek:

Back