US East non-reving on US West

As a precaution, I'd recommend any Easter's use utmost discretion when talking to our fellow employees on the West Coast, including hiding your ID.

Lets just say by my 2nd flight my ID was burried and I prayed they didn't know I work for East. I didn't run into very "friendly" agents in PHX when compared to the East side. I asked one about the computer system & if I could get a glance, she just stared at me and told me she's busy (with no line behind me). *sigh*

Check-in was OK at my initial point... agent was surprised the company flew to the city I work at.

My first flight, well, anyway. Lets say that this crew was unfortunately brainwashed by their union and they feel that all of EAST is going to give up their trips to Europe for their Orange County turns. They weren't thrilled with MDA crews coming over either, fearing that once integration is complete they will bump them all (instead of trying to transfer BACK EAST where they live). I must say that whoever spreads rumors at HP sure deserves some credit...

Next flight was OK... kept my mouth shut, didn't converse w/ the FAs unless they conversed with me. Didn't wait to board last & ask FA's for room to spread out (like I normally do on US-East).

I think I'm a fairly nice & approachable person. On the first leg of my trip to CLT on US-East, there was myself, a couple other NRSA's, and a few FA's all bantering in the back (not all about business) and it was great. Got a free drink out of it as well :p

I have asked other US-East employees about flights on HP and they had the same feelings.

I'm not saying that US-West are bad, the flights were on time or early, crews professional... they just don't seem to care much for us East-types :/ So just be careful as they don't seem to "banter" or make friends easily with us :( I left my HP flights wondering why I feel like the enemy.

I'm sorry that happened to you, but not everyone is like that. I have worked several flights where US East have non-rev on our flights and we've always treated them with respect and courtesy. There are a few who are bitter about it, but not alot (mostly the junior ones that are in between holding lines and reserves. I have flown with a few and believe me, they just won't shut up in the jumpseat!). But, I have also experienced the same treatment when I deadhead on US East flights to work a West flight, some crews are nicer than others. So don't take it personally.

This is what absolutely scares me about coming aboard now. Yes, I know in the future I could get bumped by a senior US - east person but that is part of what seniority is all about and maybe someday I will bump someone. I just do not want to be hated because of who I work for or what my seniority is.....

I don't think you'll have to worry about being hated, especially because of your seniority. The F/A's on both sides will love having new folks coming in. One thing you'll quickly learn about a seniority system is that new people coming in at the bottom means everyone above them is a little better off.

So have fun and enjoy the roller coaster ride.

Jim

SegmentKing,

It was so sad to read your post.

Every report I have rad of a west FA flying on east aircraft have been nothing but positive of the east crew. We have one commuter from Florida (who also post's here sometimes) who has advertised nothing but excellent experiences and friendly crews. Recently, a few west FAs went to MAD, same glowing review of the crews and even an comment about how "...all of their [east] seats match!" Last week I worked LAS-SAN with a few east FAs. One came was forced to check here third bag by the gate agent. She was one of 40 passengers total. She was so cool. All of us chatted with her during the flight. We compared manuals. When she saw our green monster, her eyes got so big. She asked about our bid and the Hawaii trips. It is disturbing that some of my co-workers have given a cold shoulder to anyone. I hope such is rare. While west FAs are taught to hide our ID's, I'd recommend any Easter's come on up, identify your selves! I look forward to meeting you guys. It is in everyone's interest to be nice and chat a bit - I do not bite.

some bring it on themself.

The other day one of our flights was full and I walked a US - West employee onto another airline without a ticket 5 mins prior to their own departure. I've never seen an employee so thrilled in my life. I could have told her about my experience in PHX and the West coast, but felt it was isolated. I could have treated her the way I was on that last trip, but treated her how I'd want to be treated. I could have followed that airline's policy and required she had a ZED ticket (which she couldn't buy as HP doesn't lfy here)... instead the Other Airline's supervisor asked for a local agreement request and had her sign it.

So if I somehow "brought" that on myself, I must have a split personality or something that I don't know about. I am probably one of the most customer- internal or external focused person on the East side.

(and btw, I would have done this for a revenue customer as well..)

Don't let one or two experiences on the west side get the best of you. To be honest, they are good people, however the fear and anxiety of this merger have them on the defensive quite often. This is for a number of reasons, one being, this was a one base airline almost its entire existence. The union hasn't been too up front until recently about facts, figures, expectations of this merger, more combative than informative. The west FA's don't seem to care too much about staying informed, they rarely check their union boxes, read hotlines, or even sign on to compass, mostly get information from each other which isn't very accurate. There is a small percentage of FA's that really stay on top of things and try to educate the rest of the workforce, but it's a challenge to say the least. Only until January were were FA's willing to say "US Airways" on the PA. Now it's a procedure and much more common. This will all dissipate as the year progresses, so just give them some time to adjust to a whole new world of Professional Flight Attendants.

To say these people are brainwashed by our west union is so misgiuded. West can barely get 25% of our fa's to vote in MEC/LEC elections. They are probably brainwashed by their own ignorance of not staying informed and reading literature that is put out... brainwashed by the almighty rumor mill.
I'd also like to point out as a west employee we are strictly prohibited from wearing our badges when non reving. In addition as a flight attendant.. we have no idea most of the time who you are because our paperwork is not printed correctly with non-revs and such. It sounds like you brought this upon yourself from doing all the above. I'm am very friendly to the east people when I come into contact with them however I would not be foolish to engage them in conversation of the logistics of this merger. We will all have different opions of this and always will. I rather spend my time conversing about non-reving, procedures, and where to hang out in certain cities. Instead of who got screwed... it is what it is!

It sounds like you brought this upon yourself from doing all the above.

I normally don't "advertise" my employment. I did what I normally do when the gate gives me a seat I'm not thrilled with.. I board last or head to the last row and hang out until the door is almost closed (or see paperwork on board). That is when the conversation engaged with 2 of the FA's.. I mentioned I was a non-rev hopping a ride and wanted to find a row with a bit more room (I was placed at the window w/ 2 pax in the BC seats, flight had 50 open seats according to the gate agent). I've seen this practice done by many other NRSAs who don't like to bother the gate agent with a different seat assignment.

When I mentioned I work for "US-East" & saw their reaction - not the same I've gotten on other airlines. I mentioned the merger is a good thing for all of us, that we like what Doug & others are saying, etc.. that's when it went to the negatives about the workforce.

Back to the original message, I just didn't feel like "family" to them, which is how every other airline makes me feel.

pardon the tangent, but, don't west a/c have consistent interiors?

In a word no.

While the west aircraft do have various configurations, some are really old and have a older and darker blue seat cushion pattern, most of the fleet has a lighter tan or green type color and a few aircraft have leather seat cushion's.

What happens is that on the older aircraft with the darker color seat cushion gets a cushion from one of the other seat types and they stand out! Some of our 737's have seat backs that are various heights. Some are taller, some are short.

Hey all, I took a trip on US-West back in Oct. the week after we were able to. Four legs all on US-West. My biggest complaint was the comfortabilty of the aircraft. Wow were those seats pretty bad! But in regard to people, we had a pretty good experience. The first agent I had contact with in BWI however, was a true b&*@%! I had asked her if she knew how upgrades were going to be handled. AT US-East we purchase them ahead of time and present them at the gate, but I wasn't sure then how that would be handled at US-W. She promptly told me that ALL first class seats were full. She didn't even know where I was going yet! Her work partner took over from there and we were able to work things out. All of the crews at US-W were great, we were upgraded on two of the flights, and would have been upgraded on the other two had there been space, with no upgraded taken either. The agents in PHX were wonderfull! They were friendly, and truly excited to be able to talk in person to a non-reving US-E person. One agent even took the time to correct the way we were listed. (we had been listed under an incorrect code by the nasty BWI agent) I answered as many questions as I could and tried to put forth a positive attitude for them, you have to remember that unlike US-E, they haven't been through a million mergers, so yes they are skeptical. ALL in all it was a great trip and nice way to get introduced to some of the new employees of OUR (West and East, East and West)company. I'm sorry that you may have had a bad experience, but our customers experience bad times too, and I don't think either West or East would still be here if Everyone's experience was a bad one. Good experiences are being had.

Got a free drink out of it as well :p

Are you a flipping idiot? Why did you post such a thing? All thart does is get management sending out more "Must Reads" about not comping booze and having more secret evaluations done on board.