Useing Bk To Break Unions

700UW said:
ELP,

I will have to disagree, party affiliation does have a lot to with decisions that come down from the court.

As you know Federal Judges are appointed to life. They are nominated by the President in power, for example, Republican Presidents happen to nominate more conservitive Judges, while the Democratic Presidents appoint more middle of the road to liberal Judges.

The judges are then approved by the Senate.

If you look up history you will see the Republican judges usually rule towards the platform of the party and Democratic Judges do the same.

Now, Look at the Supreme Court Judge Scalia, Republican appointed, extreme conservitive, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Democrat appointed, more middle of the road.

The decisions are there for you to look at.
[post="181135"][/post]​

Federal district judges are appointed for life (as are circuit judges of the courts of appeal and the justices of the US Supreme Court), but bankruptcy judges are appointed for 14 year terms, not life.

And most of the decisions affecting USAir for the time being are by a bankruptcy judge who does not enjoy lifetime tenure.

We didn't get to where we are without the help of 'country club democrats' (talk about traitors to their class!!), of which Clinton was one.

But Bush is definitely the right guy to preside over the last breach of the social contract between companies and their employees, as well as between government and the citizen.

Back to the 20's, Mr. Hoover, and run over any peasants in the way.

Hyperbolic union-spew.

Neither party is gonna help the airlines out, the airlines have to help the airlines out, like it or not, a new model of running an airline is evolving in the free market, and some airlines are gonna bite the dust. And it is gonna suck for a lot of people, but the days of government guarranteed profits and routes and such are long gone, and the consumer is the winner.

If the company truly cared about making money then explain this I know the facts contained in this letter to the editor to be true as I have worked side by side with Mr. McGee for many years. This letter to the editor appeared in the Beaver County times on Thursday Sept 9th.
Blame bad managment
Iam a concerned employe at US Airways. I have 25 years service in Pittsburgh.
I have no problems with givebacksto help save the company,but I do have a problem with management's decision to cut 35 jobs in the department I work in.
US Airways manipulated the leases,resulting in layoffs and reduction of department head count. It has intentionally and with malice contracted out to Allegheny County the baggage system and jetway work previously done in house by IAM mechanics.
In turn Allegheny county gave the contract to Wellington power.US Airways stated it was a cost-neutral move to save the company money.
Upper manangement acted with hast and without any research tofind a cost effective contractor.As a result of this hasty decision,the modifications of the lease has allowed the cost of the baggage system and jetway repairs to double in costs.
The IAM in-house cost was $250,000 per month. The current cost is $600,000 per month using outside contractors.This reflects more than a 100 percent increase in costs.
In addition. the de-ice pads are in questionof the same,with the loss of jobs and head count, which is imminent.This is only one example of bad managment decision in Pittsburgh.I cannot speak for other departments or cities with maintenance hubs. The contract was awarded to Wellington power for six months as an emergency package.So now it cost US Airways $3.9 million for six months instead of $3 milliona year. GO figure.
David McGee
Chippewa Township

HPearlyretiree said:
Hyperbolic union-spew.

Neither party is gonna help the airlines out, the airlines have to help the airlines out, like it or not, a new model of running an airline is evolving in the free market, and some airlines are gonna bite the dust. And it is gonna suck for a lot of people, but the days of government guarranteed profits and routes and such are long gone, and the consumer is the winner.
[post="181230"][/post]​

How in the word could a airline shake out (which the Republicans think should happen) help the consumer

less competition would mean higher prices but I bet you knew that already

700UW said:
ELP,

Now, Look at the Supreme Court Judge Scalia, Republican appointed, extreme conservitive, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Democrat appointed, more middle of the road.

The decisions are there for you to look at.
[post="181135"][/post]​

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is "more middle of the road"????? Compared to who, Pol Pot? Stalin??? She sits comfortably at the extreem left of the spectrum. A true "middle of the road" justice is Sandra Day O'Conner.

I have not heard BUSH or KERRY mention what is happening at UAL in regards to the pension. NOTHING MENTIONED BY EITHER CANDIDATE!

Not one word about USAIr and UAL using BK to screw employees!

We all know where Republicans stand on labor issues.

The difference is that Republicans admit they are pro business. The Democrats say they are for labor. Democrats, as well as Republicans, need big BUSINESS dollars to help with their campaigns for public office. They may say they want to "stick" it to the companies, but we all know better.

Politics is all about who has the better line of bullshit!

Too bad Little isn't elected by the members. With his line of crap on SHARED SACRIFICE and COMMUNICATION< COMMUNICATION< COMMUNICATION, he would be President!

Neither of the parties want to talk about the overall pension issue in the country. As they tout the "global economy" they know that in order to compete with very low pay economies, there's going to be wage deflation for all but the elite in this country. Pensions? Forget it. And here's a clue bird for ya . . . . . guess what "class" the millionair Bush family and especially the ultra-billionair Kerry's are in and always have been. Same holds true for a vast majority of elected representatives.

The sad part is that the general American public will continue to screw their neighbor if they can save a dime doing it. Look at how crowded Walmart is selling their cheap Chinese-made merchandise.

And BTW, the general American public doesn't give a hoot about foreign companies doing business in the US either. They'd love to see cabotage by poorly paid crews flying in the US, as long as the ticket price is cheap.

Winglet said:
Neither of the parties want to talk about the overall pension issue in the country. As they tout the "global economy" they know that in order to compete with very low pay economies, there's going to be wage deflation for all but the elite in this country. Pensions? Forget it. And here's a clue bird for ya . . . . . guess what "class" the millionair Bush family and especially the ultra-billionair Kerry's are in and always have been. Same holds true for a vast majority of elected representatives.

The sad part is that the general American public will continue to screw their neighbor if they can save a dime doing it. Look at how crowded Walmart is selling their cheap Chinese-made merchandise.

And BTW, the general American public doesn't give a hoot about foreign companies doing business in the US either. They'd love to see cabotage by poorly paid crews flying in the US, as long as the ticket price is cheap.
[post="181453"][/post]​

Apply this mentality to unionism and this is exactly why I give up on unions because not enough people, which are very much needed, care and therefore it's like pissing in the wind waving the union flag. Those Wal*Mart employees, the BIGGEST employer in this country sure are not unionized. I have no idea why people will work for peanuts and settle for zero healthcare, forget pensions, but that is what millions are doing. Until lightning hits them and they see the light, THEY are the majority and NOT the union banner wavers. It’s a sad reality like I have been saying. Although I am for unions and their potential, they are at this point finished in this country, because they are not anywhere close to the majority.

cavalier said:
Apply this mentality to unionism and this is exactly why I give up on unions because not enough people, which are very much needed, care and therefore it's like pissing in the wind waving the union flag. Those Wal*Mart employees, the BIGGEST employer in this country sure are not unionized. I have no idea why people will work for peanuts and settle for zero healthcare, forget pensions, but that is what millions are doing. Until lightning hits them and they see the light, THEY are the majority and NOT the union banner wavers. It’s a sad reality like I have been saying. Although I am for unions and their potential, they are at this point finished in this country, because they are not anywhere close to the majority.
[post="181754"][/post]​

I believe this is a direct result of union leaders removing the power of the membership via top down controlled dictatorships.

This is NO LONGER "OUR" Labor Movement, it has become "THEIR" Labor Movement.

Thus we watch as the wealthy dictators do not sweat because "THEY STILL HAVE THEIRS BROTHER". They are still making 6 figures, they are still wining and dining at our expense with the big shot politicians while giving away our hard earned money for campaigns.

Until the current unionized worker completes a sweeping revolution of the labor movement itself, there is no need attempting to blame the Walmart worker.

Don't play the ol'e diehard liberal blame game. WE the Union Members have the ability to take our unions and the labor movement back from these un-elected dictators and change the course. But instead, we bicker and fight amongst ourselves over who is to blame and how we should NOT seek any sweeping changes for fear of job loss.

Maybe when the unelected, unaccountable union dictators beat the union worker down to min. wage and no benefits via concessions for jobs programs, then there will be nothing left to lose and everything to gain, and the revolution will begin.

I would prefer we not wait that long, but you read these boards just like the rest of us, what do you see? I see the cowards, who justify resistance to change and revolt, by using the fear of worse conditions than we have now.

Why put off the revolution until tomorrow, when it can begin today?

FWAAA said:
And most of the decisions affecting USAir for the time being are by a bankruptcy judge who does not enjoy lifetime tenure.
[post="181220"][/post]​

Thats right, so who are they better off pleasing? The workers who can do nothing for them when their term expires or some corporation who can hire them as a "consultant" for a nice tidy sum?

Winglet said:

[post="181453"][/post]​

And the unions sure lead by example dont they? When EAL went on strike their work was done by IAM Hudson General employees, when Alitalia went on strike the TWU gladly did their work, even though Alitalia was on the boycott list in the TWUExpress. At AA when their Flight Attendants went on strike, TWU officials crossed the picket lines to travel! Its true that the F/As did not ask the other unions to honor their pickets when it came to going to work but to cross it to give the company business is another story!

Look at how none of the unions stuck together over Patco or more recently the ILWU strike. Werent staff workers at the AFL-CIO threatening to go out on strike a while back? Sure go ahead and fault the American worker or the General Public , you're right, they shouldnt go to Walmart to save a few bucks but at this stage of the game, when the unions can only deliver rhetoric and provide no leadership its no wonder things are going the way they are.

Bob Owens said:
And the unions sure lead by example dont they? When EAL went on strike their work was done by IAM Hudson General employees, when Alitalia went on strike the TWU gladly did their work, even though Alitalia was on the boycott list in the TWUExpress. At AA when their Flight Attendants went on strike, TWU officials crossed the picket lines to travel! Its true that the F/As did not ask the other unions to honor their pickets when it came to going to work but to cross it to give the company business is another story!

Look at how none of the unions stuck together over Patco or more recently the ILWU strike. Werent staff workers at the AFL-CIO threatening to go out on strike a while back? Sure go ahead and fault the American worker or the General Public , you're right, they shouldnt go to Walmart to save a few bucks but at this stage of the game, when the unions can only deliver rhetoric and provide no leadership its no wonder things are going the way they are.
[post="181882"][/post]​
<_< Bob another example was the lack of leadefship by the AFL/CIO in regards to the Seniority issue beween two member Unions! They set quit a Precedent!! Seniority no longer means anything!!!! And never again will!!! :down: