What could have been? UA/US

REACC1

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
After all the hype and the agony of defeat, what, in todays environment,would have happened if the two had merged? No, really![:)]

Considering the immense load of debt that UA would have taken on with the merger with US, and considering the tailspin the industry was thrust into following the events of 9/11, I think it's a safe bet that massive cuts would have resulted. And I think bankruptcy may have become necessary for the combined airline. However, we'll never know.

That's an easy one-- we would have been in Chapter 11 on September 12, 2001, and would have laid off tens of thousands by now.

That's an easy one-- we would have been in Chapter 11 on September 12, 2001, and would have laid off tens of thousands by now.

That pretty much happened at each carrier on an individual basis anyway, just not the next day.

Talk about too much time on ones hands.
There is a difference between posting about current topics, and commenting on one that's from 10 years ago. Given the events that took place within the airline industry following 9/11, I'm glad that the UA merger never happened as well. At the time it would have made one hell of an airline that would have benefited all of the employees, but following the downturns the cuts would have erased everything. As I said it all went downhill for both carriers anyway, just on a separate basis.

I'm not knocking your statement as much as the person who decided to hunt for a ten year topic.

It was good that it didn't happen then, and I gotta tell you, looking at United's restructuring, it was a good thing for US that it didn't happen a few years back.

I'm not knocking your statement as much as the person who decided to hunt for a ten year topic.

It was good that it didn't happen then, and I gotta tell you, looking at United's restructuring, it was a good thing for US that it didn't happen a few years back.

Dupe post....

Thanks, That's what I figured. Personally I always thought that UA & US would have been a better all around fit due to the fleet commonality as well as common unions between just about all of the workgroups.