When Carry-ons Don't Fit

On the East there is no limit for uniformed crew members.

West is only allowed one roller, one gadget bag and one personal bag (think maximum laptop size). Commuters can only have the same two bags as everyone else. (Deadheaders fall under the working crew rules rather then commuter.)

Aside from the PAWOB problem that everyone is aware of (and money/equip won't help the weight restricted RJ flights), the problem really is multifaceted. A carry-on policy that works 95% of the time doesn't work that last 5% of the time, but a policy that would work 100% of the time would be too restrictive (and non-competitive) 95% of the time.

The biggest factors that make the policy unworkable that 5% of the time are:

1 - too many rollaboards. There just isn't enough overhead space if too many people have carry-ons that only fit in the overhead bins.

2 - lack of space for crew bags. At least on the 737, 2 of the F/A's have no where to stow their rollaboard except the overhead compartments. Some pilots use rollaboards that are too big for the space provided in the cockpit, meaning another crew bag taking up space in the overheads.

3 - too many people don't use the underseat space for smaller carry-ons. With the limited leg room in coach, I honestly can't blame them but it fills up the overheads that much quicker.

4 - bringing on too many items. As has been mentioned, some folks just try to "sneak" too many things on board.

Jim

ps - a related, though different, problem. I'm seeing more folks dropping their bag at the bottom of the jetway without a gate check tag. They think it will be brought back up to the jetway at the destination, just like the RJ's.

BB,
Just brilliant. :up: Basically spot on analysis of the situation. I wish more people were so enlightened.

Can crew/commuters/NRSA members carry on more then the allowance?
Working crew, in my experience, generally have the same as allowed for passengers, although more seem to be carrying a third small bag with food/snacks. But with working crew, the small bags are usually stored in the galley so don't take up passenger storage space. At least on the 737, the "A" F/A usually puts their rollaboard in the fwd galley so it's only the other 2 F/A rollaboards that go in the overheads.

Deadheading crew is a mixture. Some, especially pilots since nobody questions our presence on the ramp, take their bags down to be loaded in the cargo compartments and go down to retrieve it at the destination. Others store it in the cabin.

I don't commute so can't comment too much on that other than most pilots that are commuting on my jumpseat carry their bags down (if they're US) or store them in the cockpit/fwd galley (there's room for a rollaboard under the J/S when it's down).

Too bad they cant turn that unused galley space into extra storage for crews and extra bags. No meal service, but we got room for your carry on now! :rolleyes:

At least on the 737, the F/A's do - the space where the meal cart went in the fwd galley is where the "A" F/A usually stores their bags. That uses up the galley space for rollaboard size bags.

Jim

How can you justify using the sizers when they aren't even close to being the actual size of an overhead? I carry 2 bags that don't fit in the sizers but absolutely fit in the OHB w/o any difficulty at all. Why should I check a bag in that situation when I know it will fit? Don't you think you're being unfair to the pax?

Well... it is not about the size of the over head bin, it is about regulation: do the carry on bag's fit in the allowed government approved airline policy and government regulation, even if you are the only passenger. It is not about you. It is about compliance with the applicable regulation and government approved airline policy.

Want to know the secret to great carry on baggage compliance? Tell the gate agents that an FAA inspector is over their, watching and taking notes.

Well... it is not about the size of the over head bin, it is about regulation: do the carry on bag's fit in the allowed government approved airline policy and government regulation, even if you are the only passenger. It is not about you. It is about compliance with the applicable regulation and government approved airline policy.

Just out of curiosity--what government policy applies? Is it a FAR, or simply the feds blessing the airline's individual FOM? Because if it's the latter, it's really the airline's policy, not the feds.

Yup, you hit the nail on the head. The FAA has approved the various airline's carry on baggage rules and thus the FAA can take enforcement action when that policy is deviated from and not enforced.

As far as particular FAR's? I don't know. I seem to recall something from part 91, it would require a bit of looking to first.
Someone else know?

Yup, you hit the nail on the head. The FAA has approved the various airline's carry on baggage rules and thus the FAA can take enforcement action when that policy is deviated from and not enforced.

As far as particular FAR's? I don't know. I seem to recall something from part 91, it would require a bit of looking to first.
Someone else know?

If it is in the FOM or IOM it is incorporated by reference into the FARs and it is not just amenible by the company changing policy. It needs to be approved by the FAA office that has jurisdiction for where the operating certificate is maintained. That is why you will see differences between airlines, yet it all is per the FAA. A simplistic case in point is the way the Southwest has been known to do their cabin demo vs. the way America West does theirs. For whatever reasons, they have been allowed to do it in, shall we say, a lighter style.

Want to know the secret to great carry on baggage compliance? Tell the gate agents that an FAA inspector is over their, watching and taking notes.
Crying wolf about the FAA is down right low. Something this industry does not need. I would never go to a crew and falsely inform them of a FAA safety inspector. This is no joke. I don't know who or what you do but you are near the line.Talking about respect here and your little trick could have consequence and the aftermath could harm the working relations of all

I still say put coin operated locks on the overheads ... $0.25 every time you want to open it. It will encourage use of free underseat space and provide another revenue stream for the company. :p

I still say put coin operated locks on the overheads ... $0.25 every time you want to open it. It will encourage use of free underseat space and provide another revenue stream for the company. :p

Coin operated locks? No way! You've then got the weight of all those quarters - and lotsa quarters are heavy!

Why not credit card swipes? The you could charge an odd amount, like $1.77 each time, and people would pay it, since it just takes a swipe of their card. And $1.77 each time is a lot more moolah! :D

A couple of weeks ago in Chicago I saw two women each with a suitcase boarding a plane. These two items weren't carry-ons; they were literally checked luggage. They still had bag tags on them from the previous flight! (it had ORD as the destination).

I have no idea how these two numbskulls got these two huge bags into the secure area. Either the X-ray machines are much larger than I think, or they somehow convinced the TSA to screen the bags by hand (assuming the bags weren't sneaked in).

The gate agent made them gate-check the two bags and put on the gate-check tags. Guess what they did when they got to the plane? They had torn off the tags and tried to bring the bags in the plane! The flight attendant made them gate-check it, obviously, since the bags wouldn't even fit in the aisle much less in an overhead bin.

These two bags were large even by checked luggage standards -- something like three feet wide and four feet tall, I kid you not. While this is an extreme example, it is beyond ridiculous in general how much stuff people try to, and succeed in, bringing into the confined space of an aircraft cabin.

Carry on bags are over the top in the states.

I've flown LH, QF, BA and have never seen customers bring on what they do here...it's beyond crazy. I agree, one carry on only, and it must be small. Exception for the Preferred members of course.

sky high states: Unfortunately, this is a competitive issue. I can see Continental running a commercial, the minute USAirways reduced carry on limits. COME FLY WITH US, WE PUT IN BIGGER OVERHEADS JUST FOR YOU.

Back