Where has all the talent gone?

AIRWOMAN

Veteran
Oct 20, 2005
December 1, 2005

Editor’s Notebook

Where Has All the Talent Gone?

A painful transition is occurring in the aviation maintenance industry, a shift in the market's need for maintenance technicians with certain skills to a new type of technician who is more comfortable with troubleshooting critical paths and computer databases than shooting rivets and opening inspection panels. The transition is painful because jobs that were finally reaching the point of paying a decent salary have disappeared, sent overseas to lower-cost maintenance providers or to non-airline maintenance companies that aren't required to employ as many mechanics with A&P certificates as is an operator that conducts its own maintenance.

Transitions, especially painful ones like this, happen whether the participants like it or not. Since the 2001 recession, thousands of good maintenance jobs at airlines have disappeared. United Airlines moved all of its heavy maintenance to non-airline-owned providers; UAL's Boeing 777 heavy maintenance, for example, is now done at Ameco Beijing in China. The airline's narrowbody maintenance is done, by odd coincidence, in Indianapolis, Indiana, at a beautifully designed former UAL facility now partially leased by AAR.

Northwest Airlines, still involved as this is being written in a bitter battle with its mechanics union--the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association--is sending all heavy maintenance elsewhere and is even outsourcing line maintenance at all other locations it flies to except for Minneapolis, Minnesota and Detroit, Michigan. Delta Air Lines is also moving away from heavy maintenance, having shifted much of that to Avborne and Air Canada Technical Services.

None of this is really that new, nor should it have come as a surprise to the people who run the unions for the mechanics at the airlines. Southwest Airlines has been outsourcing a lot of maintenance for many years yet remains a profitable airline that is a desirable place to work. JetBlue never planned to do its own heavy maintenance when it launched, yet the company employs many line mechanics. After a rocky start with outsourcing in its ValuJet division, AirTran today is a successful outsourcer with an excellent safety record, and it employs a number of mechanics. European airlines have an even longer history of successful outsourcing.

The point here is not to raise the debate about maintenance outsourcing safety and effectiveness but to note the trend. Modern airlines need maintenance professionals, just not the kind that many people think of when they think of aircraft mechanics. The kind of mechanics or technicians that modern airlines need are highly trained, system-knowledge-savvy, and fully engaged in the concept of electronics tying together all aspects of aeronautical technology. A modern mechanic is comfortable with using a fault database to isolate and help eliminate a recurring error. He or she knows how to use sophisticated test equipment to validate system safety or troubleshoot problems and is comfortable using a computer almost as much as or more than opening drawers in a big red toolbox. And this mechanic understands that nothing stays the same and that this industry is changing and that perhaps he or she is better off with a career as an aviation maintenance mechanic/technician/expert analyst rather than a mechanic whose job for the past 20 years has been the same stultifying tedious task in the same back shop working on the same equipment.

Those who want to remain in this industry will have to adapt. The unions will eventually have to adapt, too. The schools that train new mechanics will have to add training in modern technologies, no matter whether the FAA modifies the applicable rules or not. And the airlines, to ensure that there remains a supply of personnel to fill technical jobs, will not only have to work closely with the A&P schools and the FAA to ensure that modern mechanics are properly trained but also help the industry understand what the airlines need in terms of future technical workers. If the airlines aren't careful to consider these issues, then they shouldn't be surprised one day to find that there aren't any workers in the pipeline anymore and that they have all left for greener pastures.

Will the unions read this?? Will the unions stop thinking it's the way it was 60+ years ago?? It is time for a change. Aviation is changing and we, as employees, have a limited influence on what the corporate structure does. Time to adapt, one and all.

This was moved because it concerns more than US Airways. I think it will get more exposure and hopefully more discussion amongst your peers from other airlines.

This was moved because it concerns more than US Airways. I think it will get more exposure and hopefully more discussion amongst your peers from other airlines.
Thanks. You are absolutely correct........this is an aviation issue which concerns all.

What high school kid in his right mind is going to go to school to be an A&P? Theres nothing to look forward to except years and years of midnite shift with days off in the middle of the week, working holidays and more than likely doing it out in the weather.And for what? $16.00 bucks an hour with a 10 year top out and a crappy benifits package.A&P schools are closing left and right and the ones that are hanging on have dwindiling students.The shipping of the work overseas will continue, but for a different reason, a lack of qualified mechanics in this country.What then?

Only about 5% of the holders of A&P certificates will ever match this evolving workplace. Most A&Ps avoid anything that involves electronics, math or logic. They expect others to do that work.

Doom on them. They should plan for the future. They give away work to those that can work in those areas.

If they just want to be grunts, they have to compete with the types NWA hired recently or off-shore workers.

Only about 5% of the holders of A&P certificates will ever match this evolving workplace. Most A&Ps avoid anything that involves electronics, math or logic. They expect others to do that work.

Doom on them. They should plan for the future. They give away work to those that can work in those areas.

If they just want to be grunts, they have to compete with the types NWA hired recently or off-shore workers.

Most A&P's avoid anything to do with lav's also ( if they can ) whats your point.. Because some have a nac for electronics and enjoy doing it that makes them the only real mechanics.

Most A&P's avoid anything to do with lav's also ( if they can ) whats your point.. Because some have a nac for electronics and enjoy doing it that makes them the only real mechanics.

I guess Fly-By-Wire is just a passing fad and the aviation world will stop using BITE troubleshooting procedures.

Adapt or get passed by. If you let others do the work, why are you needed?

The shipping of the work overseas will continue, but for a different reason, a lack of qualified mechanics in this country.What then?

Ironic...European airlines outsource, US airlines outsource all going to China and South America where noone can speak, read or write in the English language. Shame on our government for allowing the dollar to be more valuable than safety and good management.

Eventually, there will be noone to learn the technology in the US and we will be like Saudi Arabia and start importing mechanics.

Ironic...European airlines outsource, US airlines outsource all going to China and South America where noone can speak, read or write in the English language. Shame on our government for allowing the dollar to be more valuable than safety and good management.

Eventually, there will be noone to learn the technology in the US and we will be like Saudi Arabia and start importing mechanics.
RDU, have you done time in the KSA? I have and you're right on track with that statement.

Funny thing is, I did read somewhere that some foreign airlines (Qantas was one) were looking at bringing their work to the US. Funny little world.

I saw a comment in another forum about the FAA's lack of proactive safety measures. Call me crazy, but I may have a fix. A lot of the work is going to 3rd party maintenance companies here in the US as well as overseas. The FAA (as well as the companies that send out the work even if they don't admit it) have an oversight responsibility to any work being done on “US owned/operatedâ€￾ metal. It has been reported time after time that the FAA does not have the personnel needed to be effective.

Why not take these highly skilled A&P licensed mechanics, and put them in these oversight positions? The FAA gets the man-power it needs to run an effective safety program, and the profession can continue to grow. You may not be the one turning wrenches, but you are watching those that are.

I am surprised that some enterprising mechanics have not started a oversight 'consulting' business. Big businesses love consultants. They complain about the money their employees are costing them, and at the same time be signing a six-figure check to a consulting firm. Companies would get good PR for having a consulting firm (American no less) keeping track of their maintenance program.

The Department of Homeland Security formed the TSA from mostly former military members to ensure our safety at the airports. Why can the FAA not do the same with our licensed mechanics to ensure our safety in the air?

I have not been to the Kingdom but know lots of people who have.

Warrior, airlines do use US mechanics to oversee maintenance being performed to FAA standards and making sure proper records are being maintained. There are enterprising mechanics doing exactly what you suggest on their own. But, that makes them good record keepers. Good maintenance is a practice. Once you turn in your wrench for a desk you start rusting. If the military is incapable of pumping out a/c mechanics and students aren't interested in investing inwhat was once a career, Then we will overload our outsources and they will start f***ing up and what are you going to do? Sue China for negligence?

Hi RDU,

I guess I don't have a fix for the loss-of-trade woes. I was commenting on the need for the FAA to step-up their oversight in light of all the maintenance jobs being outsourced. I'm not in aircraft maintenance, so I don't know the trade as well as a lot of posters on this site.

With over 400 views I am shocked that someone hasn't put forth any ideas/thoughts on what can be done to stop the slide. I am always saddened to see jobs leave these shores.

Can someone explain the cost-savings involved in outsourcing the work overseas? Maybe that is a start. From the little knowledge I do know it would cost fuel, crew-time, and landing expenses to get the aircraft to an overseas maintenance shop. Then of course it is the same on return. I imagine that the parts are no cheaper there as here. Wouldn't this add to the wear-and-tear of the aircraft as well (engine time)?

How much is really being saved in that light even if the mechanic overseas is getting $9/hour?
*Added:Is it the cost of pensions and/or health care that is the issue for the airlines? That is a whole other issue onto itself.

I'm not afraid to put my opinions/questions on the table for scrutiny, so I hope someone is willing to put theirs here as well. Maybe we can all learn something here.

A co worker of mine who is a former UAL mtc employee claims that United is geting their 777's overhauled in China for $7.00 per man per day.Sounds crazy but I have no reason to doubt him.

Dealing with the technoligy on an aircraft is something most A&P I have dealt with have no problem doing. Learing more about the "modern technologies" as far as being a mech is bullshit, and anybody who has actually woked on an airplane as a mech would agree. The "modern technologies" these kids should be learning are the ones that keep them as far away from avaition as possible.

Latest posts