Widebody AC Hub-Hub

Do you think that we will now see widebodys to hub-hub that we dont see today?

• YES

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • NO

• YES BUT ONLY ON SOME.

• Total voters
You posted this fantasy yesterday or the day before. Not a chance.

Assuming you work for an airline, you don't seem tuned into to the economics of airlines. Take ORD-DFW, for instance. For a long time, AA has flown 16-18 daily flights, nearly all of which have been MD-80s. Frequency is king. For many years, there was one daily widebody, and it was cancelled three or four years ago. It served as a roving spare to cover widebody departures at DFW and then later on in the day at ORD.

Today, there are scattered domestic widebodies in the AA system, like the JFK-LAX/SFO transcons, a couple of 777s between LAX and MIA and one or two 763s between LAX and DFW. The JFK-LAX/SFO transcons will be replaced later this year as new 3-class A321s are delivered.

Does US currrently fly widebodies between CLT and PHL? Or between PHX and either PHL or CLT? If not, I don't see why this merger would alter that.

In the early 1980s, AA flew its new 762s between LGA and ORD, configured in two-class configuration. Today, fuel is about six times what it cost then, and fares are only slightly higher. Inflation adjusted, fares are substantially cheaper today. Fuel-hog widebodies between domestic hubs? Only if the goal is bankruptcy.

Reactions: 1 person
US currently runs a 330 between PHL-CLT, and at times its a 767. While at times the flights are full, I think that its more of a positioning thing, as the A/C does an Intl leg afterwards.

Reactions: 4 people
US currently runs a 330 between PHL-CLT, and at times its a 767. While at times the flights are full, I think that its more of a positioning thing, as the A/C does an Intl leg afterwards.

I agree. And US flies some widebody turns between one or both eastern hubs and MCO or SJU which gives those planes something to do between morning arrivals from Europe and evening departures to Europe. Likewise, AA flies its internationally-equipped 75Ls between JFK and MCO/MIA during the day between European flights.

But widebodies between PHL and PHX? Or CLT-ORD? Notta chance.

At this time PHX doesn't have any WB activity at all, and I don't think that they ever have since the merger.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree. And US flies some widebody turns between one or both eastern hubs and MCO or SJU which gives those planes something to do between morning arrivals from Europe and evening departures to Europe. Likewise, AA flies its internationally-equipped 75Ls between JFK and MCO/MIA during the day between European flights.

But widebodies between PHL and PHX? Or CLT-ORD? Notta chance.

AN-225 with seats between PHL and PIT...

Reactions: 2 people
I'm going to go with a maybe, but very dependant on circumstances. Basically, as wings said, it's mostly going to be positioning. I also fully support the frequency position as well, with a caveat. I think that, if the loads are high enough between ANY city pair with substantial frequency, that a larger aircraft, to include widebodies, would be looked at. I don't think that upgrading to a widebody would be rejected simply because it's a widebody. Other considerations may do it (some airports can't handle them, union issues, AC availability/need...) but it won't be because they've got two aisles.

I don't see new city changes with the widebodies any time soon. A few years down the road it is probable.

Does US currrently fly widebodies between CLT and PHL? Or between PHX and either PHL or CLT? If not, I don't see why this merger would alter that.

One of the reasons widebodies aren't flown through PHX is obviously the staffing issues with different contracts for crews. Certain pilots can only fly certain metal. If and when senority is intergreted amoungst all pilots including orginal AA, the changes to where you see widebodies is a possibility.

AA has a 767-300 on MIA-ORD, ORD-LAX, DFW-LAX, DFW-SFO, JFK-MIA these are on tommorows schedule it looks like 1 per day on each city pair, Then the trans cons, 2 777s MIA-LAX and then JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO are the 767-200 3 class. I remember back in the day, the BOS-MIA flights were A-300s, as well as MIA-EWR, and MIA-JFK, maybe we will get more with the merger. I was based in BOS back in 2000 we had 767s going to LAX and SFO. We should at least get one of the BOS-SFO transcons back with the merger, even if its not a WB