WN's Philly Flights Barely 50% LF

a market is typically an airport/city. A city pair or a route is service between 2 markets.

ISP = market
ISP-LAX = city pair or a route.

having said that, I've heard the "market" term used when referencing a city pair, but usually in more specific verbage:

"the ISP-LAX market, blah, blah, blah..."

Well one thing that the PHL airport authority probably sees glaring out at them is that 3 more gates for WN may equal a dozen new flts to a handful of new destinations. On the other hand, US wants 3 gates to likely operate 3 seasonal european flts.

It's even better than that; WN generally runs 8-12 flights per gate. Three more gates might mean as many as three dozen new flights. As Clue said - the decision is a slam dunk for the PHL airport. Allocate gates for an airline that pays its bills on time which will lead to substantially increased landing fees, parking revenue, airport concession sales, etc. or allocate those gates to the airline that screws its vendors and creditors for a few daily flights.

The message for US is clear: Become more efficient users of scarce space. Figure out how to fly one or two more daily flights from each gate instead of hoarding gates and using them for 4, 5 or 6 daily flights each.

also DL will probably need a gate to handle a 767, they occasionally schedule them in. D5 is also used for AC I believe. Isn't D-10 CO's Express Gate? If and when DL moves, its gonna be a mess.

CO uses D6 for CLE flights. Right now they have 1 mainline from/to CLE in the afternoon and 4 Express. D8 is used for the 6 IAH flights, with the exception that the first IAH flight uses D6 at 5:30 am. They do park the RON ExpressJet flight at a hard stand for the night, most likely D10. However, the D10 lounge area is also empty.

All A-East gates are common use, and I think all the FIS gates in A-East are widebody capable, so DL shouldn't have a problem when they schedule or sub in a 767 once they move.

I also saw that AC is running the 175 on the last flight in from YYZ.

everyone needs to understand that when US was in the 2nd bankruptcy PHL promised the world to WN. US survived and is now a much stronger company. the gates that WN got 6 months ago were gates that the city of PHL begged on knees to US to compromise to lets say HELP OUT the city of PHL promise to WN. the city is totally behind US because of its dominance there and the revenue it provides to the city. WN will never come close to US. and US will not run from PHL like it did in BWI in 1992 when they ran away. no company runs anymore from WN. the playing field is much more in cost relation to WN in terms of labor costs. any expansion in PHL believe or not is in US hands that goes to WN and anyone else. WN in PHL aganist US is like Airtran against DL in Atlanta.. DL could care less. if anything it brings more customers.

the PHL-PIT flights on WN are lets say empty.. the US crews love it because its easier to non rev between the two cities because the US flights are full. understand you are talking frequent flyers on US in PHL who have been flying for the past 60 years on uS. what gets me is that when WN starts service to a city its always a success.. but you dont hear when they pull out of a market. like BDL-PHL in the last 6 months. seems US is doing something right in BDL. there is also talk about dropping PVD-PHL service. but you didnt hear it here

when US went into its 2nd bankruptcy the city of PHL promised the world to WN. the gates that WN got the last year were gates that the city of PHL begged and i mean begged to US for so to kinda help out the city of PHL to WN. US is deals the cards in PHL. any company who wants to come to PHL needs to talk to the city of PHL and the city goes to US. US is not going to run from PHL like it did in BWI in 1992. WN has pipe dreams or lets say their employees do. the PHL-PIT flights on WN are EMPTY and the US crews love it so they can nonrev easier since you cant get on a US flight to PIT because US is always full. and PHL does not need more flights to Florida Las Vegas or anywhere else. the talk of WN going international let them they ran out of domestic places to fly to. Jetblue and Spirit have been doing the international thing for the last 2 years.. no dents into the established carriers if anything they bring more people to flying

WN pulled out of BDL-PHL service a few months ago. rumor control has it that there is talk about dropping PVD-PHL. hmmm

the gates that WN got the last year were gates that the city of PHL begged and i mean begged to US for so to kinda help out the city of PHL to WN. US is deals the cards in PHL.

Avion, only 2 of the 4 gates came from US, the other 2 came from UA. Those 2 gates from US were originally PI gates.

thanks for the upadate on the gate thing. who cares if they were PI. they went away in 1989. US runs the roost in PHL. any airline who wants to come to PHL or wants to expand needs to talk to the city and to US. like i said those two run the roost. its like a.k.a. politics 101

What I have heard is that Southwest aircraft will be moved to routes with more demand, beginning this fall. Why this hasn't been done since 1971 is unknown... :shock:

WN has run out of places to fly to in the domestic US. they have all these new planes coming online with no where to go.. oh we need more service to florida las vegas etc etc. they are going international. let them and they can join the ranks of jetblue spirit airtran who are doing it and making no dents into anyone else and they no it but they will never say it. like WN when they pull out of a city you never hear anything. the cities love them but econimcis is the bottom line. like that stupid boarding annoucement they make #WE LOVE YOU BUT WE WILL LEAVE YOU".. they will leave a market and say.. sorry but it did not work out and we are leaving.. but please dont let the media know. what? thats not a tail between my legs!

By 2015, I think you will see Canyon Blue down in the islands. MCO - SXM on a WN 73G... who would have thought 10 years ago?

WN has pipe dreams or lets say their employees do. the PHL-PIT flights on WN are EMPTY and the US crews love it so they can nonrev easier since you cant get on a US flight to PIT because US is always full.

So are the non-rev's choosing us only for our empty seats? Or are they choosing us because it is a more pleasant trip? It's not like you can just walk over and hop on our flights it does take some planning.

Obviously you don't partake with the free rides on us. If you did your arrogance would be tempered by the fact that local agreements could go away whenever local management decides to do so.

thanks for the upadate on the gate thing. who cares if they were PI. they went away in 1989. US runs the roost in PHL. any airline who wants to come to PHL or wants to expand needs to talk to the city and to US. like i said those two run the roost. its like a.k.a. politics 101

Actually, the city pretty much moved US out of the way in A to make room for LUV. This trend will continue.

US is pretty much at the mercy of the city who after BKI and BKII has plenty of options that are not US. You might say that US had better ask the city to so much as flush the toilet, whereas the city can tell US to take a hike (see the international gate thing). Color US the city's ####.

thanks for the upadate on the gate thing. who cares if they were PI. they went away in 1989.

Sweetheart, Piedmont IS USAIRWAYS they Merged with USAIR in 1989 I was there were YOU????......

Have a little respect for the company history. Piedmont was a class airline.

Sweetheart, Piedmont IS USAIRWAYS they Merged with USAIR in 1989 I was there were YOU????......

Have a little respect for the company history. Piedmont was a class airline.
I first flew Piedmaont back in 1981 when they introduced the Hopscotch Fares. They were really cheap fares, only catch was that you had to take some wild route to get it. We flew PHL-RIC-CLT(Change planes)CLT-GSO-SDF and back the same way. We were going to book with Allegheny nonstop from PHL-SDF, but a family of 6, my parents opted for the cheapest way. It was a friendly airline. You could tell it was an airline from the south. I then flew them again various times PHL-Florida when I was in college. Always good and fun, but then again those years were all fun and good.

Latest posts