WN's Philly Flights Barely 50% LF

Hmmm, I was only able to come up with 62/day. Am I missing some flights somewhere?
My apologies - you're right and I was definitely wrong. I just counted the non-stop flights in the two schedules and didn't pay any attention to the flight's days of operation.

Again, my apologies.

Jim

My apologies - you're right and I was definitely wrong. I just counted the non-stop flights in the two schedules and didn't pay any attention to the flight's days of operation.

Again, my apologies.

Jim

No worries.

You are almost always correct, so I get worried when I come up with something different from what you have.

I wonder if WN will continue their push for more gates in PHL or if they will lay off. Either way, this can't look good in the eyes of the city/airport.

Or looked at the other way, WN is pretty much at the limit of flights they can operate from 5 gates. Maybe they're just waiting to be sure they'll be getting more gates before scheduling more flights.

Jim

ps - I can screw up with the best of them. Thanks for keeping me honest. :up:

...WN is pretty much at the limit of flights they can operate from 5 gates. Maybe they're just waiting to be sure they'll be getting more gates before scheduling more flights....
"....Our operations are a little stressed right now," Kelly said. "Once we have the new facilities, we want to resume our growth in Philadelphia." He spoke in a conference call from New York, where he briefed Wall Street analysts on Southwest's plans......".

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/home...ia_flights.html

I assume he is talking about the 4 additional gates and the refurbishment of Terminals "D" and "E", including new checkin/security areas. Scheduled for completion/availability before year end.

Don't they operate from 8 gates though?

D1-D4 plus E8,9,10,12

I have no idea what their average number of flights/gate is systemwide but it looks like roughly 8 flts/gate at PHL, so it looks like each gate does get used quite a bit. They may be able to squeeze a few more in there but then I guess they want to account for the "Philly factor."

I assume by "temporary" cuts, he is referring to only the number of flights and not the particular flights being cut since it looks like transcons are not a part of WNs plan going forward. In any event, I question how well they are/claim to be doing on many of the predominately business oriented markets.

Don't they operate from 8 gates though?

D1-D4 plus E8,9,10,12

I have no idea what their average number of flights/gate is systemwide but it looks like roughly 8 flts/gate at PHL, so it looks like each gate does get used quite a bit. They may be able to squeeze a few more in there but then I guess they want to account for the "Philly factor."

I assume by "temporary" cuts, he is referring to only the number of flights and not the particular flights being cut since it looks like transcons are not a part of WNs plan going forward. In any event, I question how well they are/claim to be doing on many of the predominately business oriented markets.

Yes WN currently operates from 8 Gates. The planned expansion would give them 12 by adding E3,E5,E7 and E11. A major problem with WN at PHL is the TSA checkpoints. The current ones just cannot handle the loads created by the high volume/frequency WN traffic. A completely new dual screening area for "D and "E" is currently under construction and is supposed to be completed by year end. I have seen "D" security lines, much to the displeasure of CO passengers, almost all the way back to the D parking garage entrance.

I believe WN is setting itself up to become an internatonal clone of EasyJet and will eventually structure it's domestic network to support internatonal flights out of either BWI or PHL, or both. A significant amount of WN's unique power lies in it's loyal followers, who for the right price, would fly WN (and no one else) in flip flops and tatoos from BWI/PHL to AMS in an all-economy configured 757 (ATA) aircraft with BOB meals and the typical lively WN atmosphere. That to me is what they'll need to successfully sell in order to compete internationally. If WN pulls this off, they'll likely need to (re)establish feeder non-stops from the West Coast to the international gateway for loyal followers.

lol - you're right, Joe, I transposed the D & E's.

According to PHL's website yesterday, FL and NW were using D4 & E12 for their departures. It still doesn't show WN using them, but maybe the airport website is wrong.

Jim

lol - you're right, Joe, I transposed the D & E's.

According to PHL's website yesterday, FL and NW were using D4 & E12 for their departures. It still doesn't show WN using them, but maybe the airport website is wrong.

Jim
D4 is a Southwest gate, there was a flight to Raleigh in it while I passed by coming in from ORD.