5TH week vacation coming back?

Not a bad idea (assuming your crew isn't 400 people).

But again, that's completely different from how we handle it locally. If I ask 10 friends around the system, I get 10 different answers. Come on here, FB, wherever, and get even more. There's something inherently wrong with that.

I'm still waiting for a definitive answer on what "continuous service" truly means. The company has said that it is based on your Adjusted Service Date (what you & I knew as our SIV date), but there are also lots of people being told that taking voluntary leaves will count as "bad time" the same way an involuntary furlough or leave would...

Other things that might make the pool really shallow on the PMNW side:

'97 pilots strike

9/11

'05 AMFA strike

Voluntary SLIP leaves
You forgot the SARS layoff. That was a good one.

Sorry that question was not for you. It was for someone at DL that would know. Meaning Kev. Thanks didn't think there was a force mature for SARS at DL.

It was at NW, and you cant have a FM when you are non-union with no contract, they just lay you off.

DL had much less impact from SARS than UA or NW or esp. AC.

But DL has also been able to adapt to changing macroeconomic situations better than its US network carrier peers as evidenced most recently by the fact that DL, even with a larger US-Japan network than any other carrier has had better financial results even on the Pacific despite the devaluation of the yen. DL also has consistently demonstrated that part of the reason they have a ready reserve program and part-time program is because they can reduce hours for those job categories and preserve employment for their FT employees. That was in part the reason for the employee gift of The Spirit of Delta over 30 years ago. DL has repeatedly shown that DL's philosophy preserves FT jobs better than the union contracts employees at other carriers have, most of which limit those companies' ability to adapt to macroeconomic situations.

In the period 9/11 - 2005, DL reduced its headcount by 35% compared to 39% at NW and over 50% for each of UA and US. AA fared better at 25% but AA also spent 8 more years in an unhealthy condition only to eventually file for BK which is where they are today. The final AA headcount going into the merger won't be known but the combined cuts over the past decade for AA employees will exceed the levels for DL or NW. AA execs said that they did not lay off more people post 9/11 because they expected one of the other network carriers to fail which would allow AA to pick up their business. In fact, none of the four carriers who filed for BK failed to emerge and AA has been the carrier that has lost the most revenue over the past 10 years.

There is ample evidence and data to show that DL's philosophy preserves FT jobs better than do the union contracts at other carriers.

But thanks for jumping in so that we could have another opportunity to show what has happened in real life instead of just in union handouts.

DL people know the difference and your fixation with propaganda over reality does nothing to help your cause and a whole lot to tarnish it.

You are DL mgmt.'s dream come true.

Specific to the question, no one on here will know the number of people who will get the 5th week or the number of people and the factors involved in aggregate for adjustments for any group.

Reactions: 1 person
You forgot the SARS layoff. That was a good one.

How could I forget?!

Knowing some of the people that were in power at the time, I wouldn't be surprised to see "taught entire workgroup French" on their resume...

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't verrrrry closely timed with the winding down of the DC10 mtx line(s)?

Sorry that question was not for you. It was for someone at DL that would know. Meaning Kev. Thanks didn't think there was a force mature for SARS at DL.

Indeed there was... Mostly affecting the AMT group, but a lot of other work groups (ACS, IFS, Flight Ops, etc.) were hit as well.

IIRC, SARS was the 3rd time they invoked it, 9/11 and the war in Iraq being the other two...

Was SARS pre merger? I remember it but do not remember it having a major effect at DL. But I only see a very small part of the system

It was at NW, and you cant have a FM when you are non-union with no contract, they just lay you off.

DL had much less impact from SARS than UA or NW or esp. AC.
But thanks for jumping in so that we could have another opportunity to show what has happened in real life instead of just in union handouts.

At will employment is real life for most people at DL.

When you distill it down, there is nothing inaccurate about what 700UW wrote. Your not liking it doesn't change that.

I'm only going to argue with the second statement by inserting that they COULD lay you off... but

Force Majure

I'm arguing - with facts - that the evidence clearly shows that DL employees without union contracts have fared better than their peers at other airlines with union contracts.

As much as you want to believe otherwise, American business and now government employers have been very successful in finding every kind of loophole to terminate union agreements and disband unions - and the employees themselves are deciding a union isn't worth it in light of any real protection.

We've recently read of Detroit's bankruptcy and now a large defection of teachers from unions in WI in light of successful gov't attacks on unions.

This is all just years after the airline industry shredded union contracts in BK or with the threat of them.
A company's ability to run a strong business is the most significant factor in helping employees retain their jobs.

It isn't a question of emotions or preference.... if the facts say something, then personal preference and matter doesn't matter.

WT--

You shoulda stopped with that 1st sentence. Your subsequent rationalizations are irrelevant to the point made.

Again, you may not like what he writes- or how he phrases things- but it doesn't change the "fact" that at the end of the day, what 700 wrote is ultimately correct.

The "fact" is that under at will employment, a person can be terminated at "any time, for any reason." You already know that, but have decided to pick on 700 anyway.

If you can show us ANY concrete evidence to the contrary (outside of Protected Class status), by all means do so. Specific to DL, let's remember that all HR policies are based on Georgia state law, which does not recognize any of the 3 main policy exceptions.

Given that your latest leitmotif has been to implore people to separate facts and emotion/opinion, maybe you should stop for a sec & take your own advice.