American Airlines and Labor Negotiations

Discussion in 'American Airlines' started by Buck, Mar 19, 2018.

1. swamt

swamt Veteran

That's exactly how it has played out for us too. I am telling you guys are getting played just like we did, play by play.

Bingo!!!

Me neither. At this point I kinda expect it. I also think at this point AA will drag this out to the point of fuel reaching high prices and claim fuel is too high to offer anymore money ect...

2. swamt

swamt Veteran

Yup. The company benefits by saving millions. The IAM benefits by keeping what they have longer and since they are in control of this asso. will do as they please. The TWU will just keep getting the shaft deeper and deeper and the membership will still do nothing about it, just keep taking it and taking it. Thank you sir, may I have another???

3. swamt

swamt Veteran

Now you are starting to get it weez...

4. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

To be honest at least for me. A few years back now I was trying to figure out where I might be on wages by this year 2018. My calculations came out to around $27 and change. Right now I’m .19 cents under $31. So I’m about $3.50 per hour higher than what I figured.

What I’m saying is I can wait some for a better offer than the “tester” online offer the Company put out. I firmly believe that was a test to see how they need to tailor their real offer before we go into Section 6 if it’s not accepted?

We’ll see?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

The IAM is not in control of the Association. Right now it’s the TWU that’s the Association chair. But technically how I read the Association contract for Negotiations both sides have to be in equal agreement to pass. So there is no authority that can override the other.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. swamt

swamt Veteran

Can't believe you have to ask that. Answered by wings and NY'er.

Agreed.

7. CremaDiLimone

CremaDiLimone Veteran

no one wants to look hypocritical...but at his stage, there is no shame.

pilots complain about it, going straight to the media with facts and figures. the company talks out of both sides of it's mouth in regards to us.

i have no problem signing it off, but the company has to pay me a premium over dl/ua/southwest, and i'm not talking about .24 cents/hr or even $2.00/hr more.

throw in the insurance issue and if the company gets that, the $36.50/hr TOS is a bargain for the company.

8. CremaDiLimone

CremaDiLimone Veteran

to me, there is no argument.

aa doesn't want to widen the PS parameters.

aa doesn't want to increase our wages.

what is the argument??

9. swamt

swamt Veteran

Agree with you here. Now you see how we felt here while waiting for the better offer. We were still in a good position in order to wait just as you say you are in right now. It's good to be in that kind of position at this point and time in your nego's, as it will get you better offers as it did for us.

I know all that weez, I was being a little sarcastic towards the TWU as it always has seemed like the IAM has always been in charge with how things always end up in their favor and NOT in the TWU's members favor. And trust me, there are still a lot of head strong arguments within the asso I can guarantee you, as you yourself has also pointed out yesterday. They just won't allow it to get out at will they will keep it within their ranks so not to let the company see just how disfunctional this asso. really is on the inside. Hell even GP was in awe in all the differences until he was handed his promotion then he all of a sudden stop all the IAM bashing. Hmmm imagine that...

10. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

It always amazes me how much more you know about us over here working for AA than those of us who actually really do work at AA.

Gary was in awe? You know Gary? You have his phone number?

Anyway please. I don’t want to get back in these weeds again ok. Notice I haven’t commented on your thread in a very long time now. I’m showing you that courtesy.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Kev3188

Kev3188 Veteran

Me either. It’s even worse when people refer to it as “free money.”

You should be getting a premium over what I get at DL; thats the value proposition a union is supposed to be delivering!

12. NYer

NYer Veteran

Do we give that premium back if profits fall?

13. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

Crude oil to hit $90 a barrel as diesel, jet fuel demand soars, Morgan Stanley predicts
    • Brent crude oil will average $90 a barrel in 2020 as demand for middle distillates like diesel and jet fuel grows, Morgan Stanley says.
    • Stockpiles of distillates are nearing five-year lows and refineries are scrambling to satisfy growing consumption, the bank notes.
    • New pollution rules in the shipping industry will only increase demand for distillates, Morgan Stanley warns.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/16/oil-to-hit-90-in-2020-on-diesel-jet-fuel-demand-morgan-stanley.html

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Tim Nelson

Tim Nelson Veteran

They won't be presenting complete comprehensive proposals for a couple years, if in section 6 other than a very general opener unless the two parties want to expedite things. As things currently stand, it doesn't look like either side even wants to meet, never mind expedite.

It's entirely up to the company. If they want to drag out section 6, then it will certainly take a couple years, at mimimum. It can start on the preamble and smaller articles and schedule negotiations about once a month. A mediator will almost certainly not even bother to get involved for quite some time. At least it hasn't happened in section 6 from any talks that I'm familiar with. A PEB would take 3-4 years unless the company or union really push for an impasse. I just haven't seen any cases where a mediator, in section 6, is engaged early on. And even then they have no authority other than to try to persuade one side or the other until it recommends a mediator. The whole section 6 favors a company in every case.

And unlike weez declaring 'bad faith' for a company to contract out stations, he is incorrect. And I don't think anyone thinks Parker will close down SJU, maybe farm it out but I don't know why Weez would say he would close SJU down. We do good business there. At any rate, yes, Parker could put some pressure on the Association and look at contracting out 5 stations. 4 of which he most likely wouldn't have to re-open. But on the other hand, if it doesn't make any sense to close and reopen then we can forget about DTW, BNA, IND, etc.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. NYer

NYer Veteran

Disagree. Probability is there will be a counter-comprehensive proposal presented to the Association with the specter of Section 6 if it isn't taken for a vote with only minor changes.

• Agree Agree x 1