American Airlines and Labor Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one do not believe we need to be updated hour to hour or day to day however if you’re extending negotiations or if somebody abruptly walked out of negotiations the membership has a right to know ASAP.

BTW I have met Soto and he is a pompous ass.
The one time I seen him my first thought was mafioso

He asked me what I believe we will get.
Not what we are asking for. Do you know what full retro means? And do you know how many contracts out there today has full retro.
So question for you! If you got all that your asking for in a contract including scope and insurance and profit sharing, but you didn’t get retro, would you vote to bring it out for a vote? Or would you not because you didn’t get retro?
Depends on where the full retro fell on the list of must haves.
I can only speak in our case at SWA, they were offering good wages as well as other items in our first offer but it was not full or true retro as you say, therefore our LEC would not endorse it and the membership overwhelmingly voted it down because it was lacking true full retro, signing bonus was slightly lower than acceptable, and was missing 2 years of outgoing 3% raises. That's when KK came in and got it done after working the entire weekend after the 3 days scheduled (that's when you know they want to get it done). This time all holes were filled with not only full retro but overpaid full retro by nearly 15 million, added to the bonus amount to equal what made us whole at the point we were at, also included an added 3% raise for the Aug 2019 year (same year and just a couple months later so 23% total snap up and raises in 2019) and they fixed the outgoing years to receive the raises each and every year going out the 5 years equalling another 15% for a total of more than 35% raises and bonuses.
Yes I know what full retro is. But I concur that most people do not. We did get our 401K's and PS also retro'd to make us whole as well. Now, with that said, yes we did miss out a little on the interest missed thru the 6.5 years, but this is why the 401K's and PS were also over padded a bit as well as the bonuses and full retro, to help make up a bit, but who knows if it made up for all.

CB, I wasn't saying you guys weren't asking for full retro. I was merely pointing out that they should always fight for full retro so not to allow these companies to just drag nego's out for as long as they like and then get by with pennies on the dollar as a bonus. We were sick and tired of that happening so we stayed focussed on our (one of) #1 item of full retro. so since it was 1 of 3 #1 must haves it was voted down the first time by 75% +. The second one, after being fixed properly passed by 96%. When you meet the must haves this is what gets them done.
Side note: We did save scope article 2 as it went thru untouched. Yes they did throw in the 8 lines going international but these were 8 lines already being outsourced but were in the USA and moved to international. I don't like as much as the next guy, however, after fighting for so long (almost 7 years to the day we received our retro, bonuses and raises) We were tired of waiting and so they got what they wanted and the mechanics got what they wanted. Both sides are happy.
CB, I hope we hear some good news from your end some time today of forward progress. I do not think a T/A will come this week, just looking for forward progress at this point. Good luck hope you guys do well...

Reactions: bigjets
THEY ARE NOT GONG TO GET FULL RETRO IT WOULD BE UNFAIR TO FLEET ONLY GETTING $3000 AND OTHERS GETTING $10000 THATS THE WAY THEY THINK! IF IT WAS NOT FOR DELTA COULD ONLY IMAGE HOW MUCH FURTHER WE WOULD BE BEHIND!

They met till 8pm on Thursday and added another session for Friday.

The information came from someone who was there.
Well hey, that is good news. When they start meeting into late evening or nights and adding an extra day to it means there is progress IMO. Thx for that update. With nothing being updated by the ass. I was still under the impression that it was still just until Thur. I stand corrected and thank you. Maybe we will hear something late tonight, or can we get a little greedy and hope they go full bore forward and work it through the weekend???

What would make you think that mx would get full retro and fleet wouldn’t.
Of course they’re going to get more they make more and certainly should.

THEY ARE NOT GONG TO GET FULL RETRO IT WOULD BE UNFAIR TO FLEET ONLY GETTING $3000 AND OTHERS GETTING $10000 THATS THE WAY THEY THINK! IF IT WAS NOT FOR DELTA COULD ONLY IMAGE HOW MUCH FURTHER WE WOULD BE BEHIND!
Paul you could get everyone full retro just as we did. Must be united and informed very well though. With that said, it may not be the number one item on the list for all. It's too tough to get all these separate groups on the same page of top items.

What would make you think that mx would get full retro and fleet wouldn’t.
Of course they’re going to get more they make more and certainly should.
If you are referring to me I never said only one group. All groups should all get full retro. I was just using our new contract as an example. But, you guys will probably never get united enough to pull it off with all these different groups in the same union.

If you are referring to me I never said only one group. All groups should all get full retro. I was just using our new contract as an example. But, you guys will probably never get united enough to pull it off with all these different groups in the same union.
no I was answering Paul you just got in in front of me

Reactions: swamt
Holy cow! Great news fellas!! There's an update!!!

Negotiations Update
September 20, 2019
0 Comments

Federally-mediated negotiations between the TWU-IAM Association and American Airlines continued this week in Washington, D.C. At the request of the NMB, the parties have agreed to keep details of our discussions confidential.

The National Mediation Board scheduled negotiations to continue next week in Washington, and we are hopeful that progress is made then.

Please Post on All TWU- IAM Bulletin Boards

PDF version: Association-Bulletin-9/20/19Download

Oh wait, my bad. No update except more meetings set and no progress at this one as the final statement indicates there was no movement. "we are hopeful that progress is made then." Then being the new dates added. No wonder they want to keep it quiet, there was no progress, just as the update indicates. So much for being hopeful...

Hell all they did was indict a ham sandwich with Samuelson providing the ham!
All the stand down BS provided by the union was entertainment,,,, for the “Company”.
I don’t know of ONE mechanic that knew of a job action in progress, sponsored by the ass or an unsanctioned one by rogue individuals. If the ass can’t defend itself against a fictitious and bogus claim it’s because of one individual that let his emotions get the best of him. That particular moment in time sealed the asses fate and gave the company a scape goat.

I agree with you, but Samuelson ran his mouth threatened the airline president with labor strife and then posted it on YouTube. So the union looks guilty for any delay. We are represented by the gang that can’t shoot straight.

I for one do not believe we need to be updated hour to hour or day to day however if you’re extending negotiations or if somebody abruptly walked out of negotiations the membership has a right to know ASAP.

BTW I have met Soto and he is a pompous ass.
He’s probably pompous because he knows he can’t be replaced, he’s a made guy. So to speak. Kind of like Samuelson

Last edited:
They met till 8pm on Thursday and added another session for Friday.

The information came from someone who was there.

Are they meeting Friday or are there just more meetings next week. Like the update says.

I guess working weekends like the rest of the airline is out of the question.

I take two things from the update that wasn’t an update.
It seems progress may be being made since they are going with a non disclosure.
Two it seems the hard work is getting done the fact they aren’t waiting weeks for more meetings but going right into next week.
I hope I’m not wrong on this but maybe this is almost good news but time will tell

I take two things from the update that wasn’t an update.
It seems progress may be being made since they are going with a non disclosure.
Two it seems the hard work is getting done the fact they aren’t waiting weeks for more meetings but going right into next week.
I hope I’m not wrong on this but maybe this is almost good news but time will tell

It is good news.

They're adhering to the gag order, that usually starts on Day 1, but the Association didn't abide by it. That's probably why the NMB allowed the Company to release their proposals.

Second, any time there are non-scheduled sessions with the NMB included, it shows progress. They wouldn't extend sessions if there wasn't movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts