American Airlines and Labor Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again show this in writing from the company show us you

COMPANY PROPAGANDA
13 Sep 2018

Many of you have read the Special Jetwire issued by American Airlines regarding our negotiations. If you don’t read anything else in this bulletin, read this:

Beware of any negotiations propaganda issued by the Company. It contains partial examples, misleading statements and outright wrong information.

It is true that your negotiating team has reached tentative agreements on many good improvements for our joint collective bargaining agreements. However, American has not just given those out of the kindness of their heart – they were hard won by the tenacity of your negotiators and, most importantly, you deserve them!

American paints the picture that all you will ever need is right there in their proposal just for the taking. What they don’t tell you is that you would have to agree to concede vast amounts of work you are doing today. You would give up the better and less costly healthcare options ALREADY WON AND PAID FOR through bankruptcy. You would suffer less in retirement value that already exists in our Association and you would have to take less than other American Airlines employee groups. And, you would have to agree to wages that can fall below industry standards during the life of the agreement.

Things American will not tell you is that they demand to allow unlimited fleet work performed today to shift to vendors. They want you to concede scheduled line maintenance work by almost doubling the amount of that work performed outside of the United States from what is done today. They want overhaul maintenance to concede over 2,200 jobs during the life of the agreement. And, they want to shrink the facilities maintenance work to a mere skeleton of what the Association performs today.

Sisters and Brothers, these are CONCESSIONS!

Our members invested in our airlines through our bankruptcy contributions. We are the reason these carriers and this management were able to merge American Airlines and US Airways into the biggest airline in the world. It is now a carrier that is more profitable than it has been in its entire combined past history. It is an airline predicted to never lose money again. We deserve to keep what we bring to the table today in the form of the work we do, the benefits we have and the security we need.

Our proposals seek to allow our membership to grow as the Company grows. We deserve to share in the prosperity we make. We deserve to be rewarded for our sacrifices. Our proposals are reasonable and don’t overreach.

To the contrary, American has chosen this time to be greedy and demand that we continue to give back. They believe they can bribe us into concessions we would have to live with for the rest of our careers.

To that we say, hell no!

One more thing – American can begin the early out today. There is no need to wait.

michael_klemm.jpg

Michael G. Klemm
President/Directing General Chair
District Lodge 141

dave_supplee.jpg

Dave Supplee
President/Directing General Chair
District Lod

Again show us in writing from the company.show us your proposals and counter proposals. I do not trust what you are the ass says you lied about we would have a vote. I didn’t believe it I never believe any thing the twu/iam says. Release the whole company proposal instead of there bullet points . If your afraid to post it then it can’t be that bad for the members but for future union dues. I am sick of lies on both sides Parker on town hall meeting said delta United plus 7 but y’all accepted 3 percent for mechanics 1 for fleet. You guys are pathetic should of held Parker to 7 percent.
I’m sick of the twu not standing by its members our holiday pay and number of them is important to us as well as vacation. Yes insurance rates are important but so is my holiday pay Alex has forgotten where is bread is buttered . So has Peterson the twu people want to be made whole. You iam people didn’t get upset till your pension and insurance was put on chopping block. But I know to the union there only worried about the iampf and the fact it will be hurting way more then it is now. Y’all have your on insurance no matter what you negotiate. But the iampf is going to hurt the iam and that’s the only thing you guys care about. It sure isn’t your members and you iam folks have thrown the twu folks so far under the bus it’s pathetic just like the clowns running the association. Your not going to get to much sympathetic response from twu people. Except wees and puppy dog followers like Alex who dose not care about his members either his salary is at stake. If they lose future dues payer

In all fairness, when negotiations opened, keeping LUS medical was the #1 stressed goal. The negotiators (IAM) banged that drum the loudest and so did many members. And via different Facebook comments, that still is the hot item.

Weekly Update

September 14, 2018

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

This last Wednesday, the Company requested a mediator to be assigned to the negotiation from the National Mediation Board. If you are wondering what does that mean moving forward? If, at any time during negotiations groups feeling that talks aren't progressing, they can request mediation from the NMB. A mediator is an impartial third party who has specialized training to help the groups reach an agreement.

The NMB is not required to agree on assigning a mediator per request but could review the progress to determine if they should continue talks on there own. Mediation can come later if the NMB believes it could help with the process. There is no time limit for mediation; it will continue until either party reaches an agreement. If both parties can't reach an agreement, then they would call an impasse and would offer arbitration, but both parties would have to agree.

I will try not to sugar coat, on what is happening as the company is looking to sway your opinion on what they have to offer. Yes, they include an increase in pay, increased paid time off, increase in 401k, and an early out equal to a full year’s salary. But what they don't tell you is that they want the ownership of the work we do (scope). They may promise you a job today, but they don't guarantee you a quality of life in the future. Let me make it a little clearer, and what you can hold with your seniority today, you made not keep in a few years. As members retire they don't get replaced, because of the company would have ownership of the work.

The quality of life that you once had is diminished because you will not have anyone behind you to move you up in rank. By moving up in the ranks as to seniority, we enjoy better shifts and days off. What they are offering as to "Core Work" is the loading and unloading of aircraft. I ask everyone to take a hard look if they can keep pace with this work for 20 to 30 years?

This company continues to turn a profit year after year, do we want to agree to scope concessions?

Equity Update: the 6.1 million that was in an IRS fund due to tax implications returned and meetings with the company and Computershare are underway to reach the target time frame of late October for the second distribution.

This last week, We attended the benefits meeting for 2019 in St. Augustine, Florida. There will be a new Union benefits website, up and running very soon. It will provide you with all the necessary TWU benefit information at your fingertips. The Annual Enrollment Roadshow is schedule in ORD on September 25 and enrollment starts October 15 - 26. Enrollment brochures will be mailed out around September 17, so please keep a look out for them for all information. The local will continue to have benefit consultants to help with your benefit choices.

T-5 Bathroom update: the company has acquired two more bathrooms that would be exclusively for AA personal at M11. They should readily available in around two weeks.

The company will have another survey this year starting on October 11 through November 2. Please take the time to fill it out and tell the company how you feel working without a joint contract.

Juan Elvira
President
TWU Local 512

These guys ARE the TWU
how about supporting these guys? where the **** was the iam last year when we were picketing? where was your leadership? they couldnt get in the clown bus and make an appearance? in dfw,mia,ny or ord? thats right there was a difference in opinion of when to protest? so you sit the **** out? hey **** you.
The guys to support ARE the TWU AND IAM....on a different note.....you call it a “ CLOWN BUS”???? I think that speaks volumes.

"The quality of life that you once had is diminished because you will not have anyone behind you to move you up in rank. By moving up in the ranks as to seniority, we enjoy better shifts and days off"

I`ve got news for you. A significant number of LAA guys having been living this already. Maintenance base closings have flipped many careers upside down. Guys with 29, 30 years are finding themselves stuck on undesirable shifts/days off. It is what it is.

Weekly Update

September 14, 2018

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

This last Wednesday, the Company requested a mediator to be assigned to the negotiation from the National Mediation Board. If you are wondering what does that mean moving forward? If, at any time during negotiations groups feeling that talks aren't progressing, they can request mediation from the NMB. A mediator is an impartial third party who has specialized training to help the groups reach an agreement.

The NMB is not required to agree on assigning a mediator per request but could review the progress to determine if they should continue talks on there own. Mediation can come later if the NMB believes it could help with the process. There is no time limit for mediation; it will continue until either party reaches an agreement. If both parties can't reach an agreement, then they would call an impasse and would offer arbitration, but both parties would have to agree.

I will try not to sugar coat, on what is happening as the company is looking to sway your opinion on what they have to offer. Yes, they include an increase in pay, increased paid time off, increase in 401k, and an early out equal to a full year’s salary. But what they don't tell you is that they want the ownership of the work we do (scope). They may promise you a job today, but they don't guarantee you a quality of life in the future. Let me make it a little clearer, and what you can hold with your seniority today, you made not keep in a few years. As members retire they don't get replaced, because of the company would have ownership of the work.

The quality of life that you once had is diminished because you will not have anyone behind you to move you up in rank. By moving up in the ranks as to seniority, we enjoy better shifts and days off. What they are offering as to "Core Work" is the loading and unloading of aircraft. I ask everyone to take a hard look if they can keep pace with this work for 20 to 30 years?

This company continues to turn a profit year after year, do we want to agree to scope concessions?

Equity Update: the 6.1 million that was in an IRS fund due to tax implications returned and meetings with the company and Computershare are underway to reach the target time frame of late October for the second distribution.

This last week, We attended the benefits meeting for 2019 in St. Augustine, Florida. There will be a new Union benefits website, up and running very soon. It will provide you with all the necessary TWU benefit information at your fingertips. The Annual Enrollment Roadshow is schedule in ORD on September 25 and enrollment starts October 15 - 26. Enrollment brochures will be mailed out around September 17, so please keep a look out for them for all information. The local will continue to have benefit consultants to help with your benefit choices.

T-5 Bathroom update: the company has acquired two more bathrooms that would be exclusively for AA personal at M11. They should readily available in around two weeks.

The company will have another survey this year starting on October 11 through November 2. Please take the time to fill it out and tell the company how you feel working without a joint contract.

Juan Elvira
President
TWU Local 512
Should have put in a disclaimer "better days off" does not apply to LGA.Another union head touting the importance of seniority well apparently not at LGA

In all fairness, when negotiations opened, keeping LUS medical was the #1 stressed goal. The negotiators (IAM) banged that drum the loudest and so did many members. And via different Facebook comments, that still is the hot item.
Yeah the scope thing really went south the last couple of weeks.The more I think of it the union should have tried to avoid section 6.Once the company starts comparing us to the other airlines and shows the mediator. ........Mama mia

American will get what they want as long as it's in line with the industry standards and it mimics as much as possible the other airlines.

C’mon Metal give everyone a break here. You’re PURPOSELY ignoring the times and those full stories.

Start with the year 1978 and take us up from there. (40 F’n years ago BTW)

How many BILLIONS BILLIONS BILLIONS with a B in Share buybacks?

I am doing exactly the opposite of ignoring the times, WeAAz..Those strikes were eons ago. The Eastern people had BALLS! Something the TWU never grew. AMFA had balls but waaaay too late.
Do you really think STRIKE talk is going to have the same effect here in 2018? C'mon WeAAz. I know it makes you feel warm and fuzzy that the ASSociation is talking tough, but there will be NO strike. So the ASSociation should not even use the word.
As far AS THE BILLIONS GO.....The mediator will be focusing more on industry comparison. Is Delta NOT making billions with B? Is UA not making billions with a B?

I am IAM.....I have stated EXACTLY that. Scope is MOST important. I also Heard from CB and PREZ....both known IAM reps, state SCOPE is #1 priority...I’m not positive but from what I can ascertain from posters Ograc, Piedmont and PJ Irish I believe they are IAM and have stated the same.
Again...I’m speaking to those that TRULY want to listen and aren’t here with the sole purpose to disrupt.
By your statement of LALA LAND...I’m quite certain that you have never met many of our negotiators or EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE. Just in the off chance you havnt heard...the NC has made improvements in almost every article so far.
If these men were not good negotiators....we would have capitulated.
ANYONE and I mean ANYONE could go to the company and have an agreement in 15 mins if they Surrender. It’s simple to just say OK, I’ll take it.. I have an idea....try putting your effort into supporting these guys.

Racer X. And to all. I am LUS and an engaged IAM member. Have been since the IAM gained representation rights for Fleet Service. I have been around long enough to have witnessed all CBAs that have been negotiated by the IAM all the way back to the original 1999 Agreement for Fleet.. Different agreements negotiated by different Negotiating Committees and Leadership Slates. Two agreements (if you want to call them agreements) negotiated under bankruptcy. Every new and different Leadership slate and subsequent Negotiating Committees promise better results in negotiations for the next contract. It is not until they actually sit across the table from the company in negotiations that they realize how difficult it is to reach a fair and equitable agreement. I wish every member could sit in negotiations. The experience would be eye opening to many. Despite the public spin the company puts out there; we are viewed as a liability, a cost, a drag on their profits. With that; I tip my hat to the previous and current NCs. I believe they are doing their best. Gaining a fair and equitable agreement with this company is very challenging. Unfortunately, the focus too often, becomes what is best for the International and not necessarily the members affected. BTW... I have always felt SCOPE and protecting the current work is priority #1! I don't believe the preservation of the LUS medical or the IAM pension is the number 1 concern by the combined group IMO.

Scope is the most important if they want everything but loading and unloading. Not so much with deicing and lavs, but a line line has to be drawn. Bottom line how many people are affected
I doubt losing deicing alone will cost jobs. It is not a 365 day a year function. All that will be lost is nice overtime.

Funny thing though, I don't recall any TWU tears being shed when maintenance lost deicing and pushbacks starting in 1983.

It sucks to be on the other side, doesn't it?

I doubt losing deicing alone will cost jobs. It is not a 365 day a year function. All that will be lost is nice overtime.
In the beginning it seemed like thats all the company wanted along with catering on the fleet side. Now it doesn't look like a bad deal compared what they want

In the beginning they seemed like thats all the company wanted along with catering on the fleet side. Now it doesn't look like a bad deal compared what they want
Hey, don't get me wrong.. I have said time and time again, I do not want anyone currently on payroll to lose his/her job. But when it comes to deicing ALONE, there won't be job loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts