Arbitration

For the context of this conversation AMFA at SWA has now voted no and is officially past 6 years of obviously fruitless Negotiations. They only number around 2300 people and even after all these years never asked for binding Arbitration. And haven’t asked to be released by the Mediator to engage in self help.

The Ramp at SWA went over 5 years as well and only due to a tactical error on the Locals part in California did they finally basically have to vote on something that passed by the slimmest of margins.

Over at UAL the FA’s were in drawn out protracted and contentious Negotiations against the Criminal CEO Jeff Smisek that finally ended under new CEO Oscar Munoz and also after 5 years.

Multiple stories out there the last few years where every Union in the Industry not in Binding Arbitration had to scratch and claw to gain a CBA.

BTW multiple stories of unhappy Pilots and FA’s on the deals they were forced to agree to from the Secured Creditors to accept the merger of AA and US.

Yes Parker threw money at them whenever the industry got too far ahead of them in wages (Us too BTW) but that hard 40 still exists and I’m sure the Pilots could give you a few gripes if you stop them on their walk arounds.

We won’t be doing any Arbitration’s and we won’t go into a PEB because the MMB won’t release us and because the issues will be solved long before that stage anyway.

SCOPE is the issue today. The rest is pretty much one, two, three, (Including the Medical)

1. The IAM and the TWU has NEVER agreed to the proffer of Arbitration in any airline Section 6 negotiations.

2. Congress has NEVER legislated an airline union contract.

Are you talking about the "vote no, bk is a bluff" know it alls from 2010?

After prolonged disagreement in meditation I think , and this is imho,the parties will agree to arbitrate remaining isssues. Company has shown they'll do it and union has too.

My crystal ball says at the end of it all we will accept a worse agreement then what is on the table today, only 18 months from now.
Have you actually seen any agreement in writing from the Association?

Section 6
Mediation
Arbitration
PEB
Congress imposed contract

It will never make PEB. I thought the mechanics were done? Therefore it will be Fleet Service that is placed on the chopping block. It seems the Association knows what will happen at every stage.

It will never make PEB. I thought the mechanics were done? Therefore it will be Fleet Service that is placed on the chopping block. It seems the Association knows what will happen at every stage.

I’m sorry but I have yet to read any update that states anything from this posting has changed?

http://www.local591.com/docs/Talking points from Friday July 27 Rep call .pdf

Although perhaps unlike you I sincerely hope it has and most of your work has been removed from the “chopping block” ?

Any issues that have been resolved get us ALL to the finish line that much quicker.

In Solidarity.

The company wants to chop fleet numbers big time. Add unlimited part timers. With us they want heads chopped and more outsourcing. That hangar in Brazil is going to hurt us big time. They want core work only from us and outsource everything else. Maintenance is going to be colateral damage to save union dues and fleet from being chopped up. In the end we will all loose.

It will be fine, the next one you vote on will be better...at least that is what I have heard in my 35 years at AA.
Tell that to the AMFA cool aid drinkers, we have company right were we want them. Is this before the Orange hair clown in the white house slows the economy down, with $200 billion in tariffs on Chinese goods? But take heart American Airlines mechanics AMFA president Brett O, on the AMFA web site must have the Association on speed dial he stated on the AMFA web site we needed to vote No, because Parker and company were offering you guys $55 an hour when our mechanics would only be starting at $51 if we voted in this deal.Go ask AMFA where your money is?

Therefore it will be Fleet Service that is placed on the chopping block.
I hope not.

I saw the part where the company stated they proposed an early out package. I only skimmed the article actually as I was pressed for time at the time.

You can always count on the soon to be retired to throw their coworkers under the bus. The same people who chant UNION propaganda the loudest. I guess an offense to one is an offense to all...... unless you can get an early out package.

Is this before the Orange hair clown in the white house slows the economy down, with $200 billion in tariffs on Chinese goods?
You rather China keep flooding our shores with low quality Chinese junk?

I for one think tariffs are LONG overdue. Over time importing cheap Chinese junk only helps corporations realize obscene profit margins (like those $1249 dollar iPhones assembled if not wholly manufactured in China), it does NOTHING to help the working man. You are certainly not benefiting from the cost savings of the cheaper labor.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipho...s-us-kwgo-pla-iphone--slid--product-MT6L2LL/A
Pay $60.33/mo. with the
iPhone Upgrade Program.
Or pay $1,249.00 now.

Good luck passing on those tariffs to your customers when you are already charging them $1249.00. Tariffs are not the problem. Apple paying third world wages while charging first world prices are the problem. The fact is Americans have been getting screwed for a long time in a variety of ways allowing China to deluge our shores with mostly low quality crap.

Why not charge enough tariffs on them to make manufacturing competitive for the local market (which by the way is EXACTLY what tariffs are for, to protect domestic production). You say the price will be MUCH higher...... the price is already MUCH higher, very inflated. I rather take away the incentive to manufacture overseas away and have it done here.

As a UNION man you should welcome tariffs.

I am not trying to derail the thread or disrespect you but I think you are way off the mark here.

Last edited:
I hope not.

I saw the part where the company stated they proposed an early out package. I only skimmed the article actually as I was pressed for time at the time.

You can always count on the soon to be retired to throw their coworkers under the bus. The same people who chant UNION propaganda the loudest. I guess an offense to one is an offense to all...... unless you can get an early out package.

You rather China keep flooding our shores with low quality Chinese junk?

I for one think tariffs are LONG overdue. Over time importing cheap Chinese junk only helps corporations realize obscene profit margins (like those $1249 dollar iPhones assembled if not wholly manufactured in China), it does NOTHING to help the working man. You are certainly not benefiting from the cost savings of the cheaper labor.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipho...s-us-kwgo-pla-iphone--slid--product-MT6L2LL/A
Pay $60.33/mo. with the
iPhone Upgrade Program.
Or pay $1,249.00 now.

Good luck passing on those tariffs to your customers when you are already charging them $1249.00. Tariffs are not the problem. Apple paying third world wages while charging first world prices are the problem. The fact is Americans have been getting screwed for a long time in a variety of ways allowing China to deluge our shores with mostly low quality crap.

Why not charge enough tariffs on them to make manufacturing competitive for the local market (which by the way is EXACTLY what tariffs are for, to protect domestic production). You say the price will be MUCH higher...... the price is already MUCH higher, very inflated. I rather take away the incentive to manufacture overseas away and have it done here.

As a UNION man you should welcome tariffs.

I am not trying to derail the thread or disrespect you but I think you are way off the mark here.
No tariffs are great if it equalised the equation, but you as an outside a bargaining unit, should know that it doesn't. When Obama was president he did tariffs on Chinese tires. You know what happened ?All the tire manufacturers did was raise their prices on all tires regardless to where they manufactured the tires in the world. This did nothing but enrich the tire manufacturers, and made tires more expensive for the people who have a business to sell tires. This inturn pissed consumers off that had to buy tires. Your IPhone will just cost more regardless where it is made, because the manufacturer will just pass it along to the consumer. Or they will offshore it to Vietnam avoiding the so called tariffs,and still raise prices.

There is no CAB anymore and that’s why the airlines all have different amendable dates.

The CAB had no involvement with labor. Their decisions, however, affected labor as a result.

Civil Aeronautics Board[edit]
Main article: Civil Aeronautics Board
In 1938 the U.S. government, through the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB), regulated many areas of commercial aviation such as routes, fares and schedules.[citation needed] The CAB had three main functions: to award routes to airlines, to limit the entry of air carriers into new markets, and to regulate fares for passengers.[citation needed] Much of the established practices of commercial passenger travel within the US, went back even farther, to the policies of W. F. Brown,[citation needed] the US postmaster general in the 1920s and early 1930s in the administration of President H. Hoover.[citation needed] Brown had changed the mail payments system to encourage the manufacture of passenger aircraft instead of mail carrying aircraft. His influence was crucial in awarding contracts so as to create four major domestic airlines: United, American, Eastern, and Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA).[citation needed] Similarly, Brown had also helped give Pan American a monopoly on international routes. (See also the US Centennial of Flight Commission [7])

Typical regulatory thinking from the 1940s onward is evident in a Civil Aeronautics Board report. In the absence of particular circumstances presenting an affirmative reason for a new carrier, there appears to be no inherent desirability of increasing the present number of carriers merely for the purpose of numerically enlarging the industry.[8]

https://www.encyclopedia.com/social...al-reform/social-reform/civil-aeronautics-act

Last edited:
The company wants to chop fleet numbers big time. Add unlimited part timers. With us they want heads chopped and more outsourcing. That hangar in Brazil is going to hurt us big time. They want core work only from us and outsource everything else. Maintenance is going to be colateral damage to save union dues and fleet from being chopped up. In the end we will all loose.
Never mind fleet, line mx taking it more in the shorts to protect OH once again.

Reactions: swamt