IAM & AFA file for elections at DL

I am a member of the IAM at UA. There's a reason we are overjoyed for the merger with CO. Number 1 being the perfect opportunity to dump the IAM. Before you vote, you should ask yourselves a few questions.

1. STRIKE Are you willing to walk off the job for the betterment of the whole? If you can't truthfully answer yes to this question then you have no power of being unionized. It's all about unity and strength. e.g, If there are 5 members and 3 of them want $25 hr versus 2 of them who feel $24 is good, well, majority rules. Are you willing to risk it all for the betterment of the whole? My guess is 98.7% no. Proven by the strength of the unity of NW mechs, but no strength of unity from other union groups. It's the unions themselves that have divided. And for this division of unity amongst (greedy?) corporate unions, I pay $56 month (after taxes), at $21 hr, I work 3 hrs every month for the union that is suppose to be working for me. Part-time pays the same $56 as Full-time. Remember, everyone is the same, no individuality.

2. IAM PENSION I urge you to read the small print. This is the #1 reason why the UA mechs voted the IAM out. The IAM brought the pension to them on every contract vote and every contract vote got voted down ONLY because they didn't want it. Why? Their reason was "try to collect it". After retirement if you wanted to freelance occasionally for extra money, well, there's something about forfeiting the monthly benefit for each month you work in the same industry or job title that you retired from. Also, for Part-time, you have to work a minimum amount of hours per year or you forfeit it.

3. HONESTY/CREDIBILITY Please don't consider a yes vote because you believe a union to be more honest and credible than a company. After all, they are both human beings. If you believe your company lies to you but you can believe your union is telling the truth, then you're in for a rude awakening. It's all about the business and $$. Both are the same corporations out to make a buck. At least your company pays you for alleged deceit. Are you willing to pay a union to allegedly deceit you? eg, having the DOL file charges against your union for unfair labor practice for elections that your dues $ paid for. Now the DOL will rerun the election with your dues $ again.

Most important is to get out and vote regardless if you vote yes or no. Just remember, regardless if the baby is due next month and you need the medical benefit, regardless if your spouse lost their job 6 months ago and you're behind 3 months rent and being evicted, regardless of any personal need, you already voted to strike and it's all about the betterment of the whole. The next generation is counting on you!

For below wing, the A cards have been submitted and we are waiting for the NMB to verify that there is a "sufficient showing of interest."

For above wing, the IAM now has 12 days left to provide the NMB with A cards for the same.

For Stores, the 14 day "clock" started today.

It's the unions themselves that have divided. And for this division of unity amongst (greedy?) corporate unions, I pay $56 month (after taxes), at $21 hr, I work 3 hrs every month for the union that is suppose to be working for me. Part-time pays the same $56 as Full-time. Remember, everyone is the same, no individuality.

I'm FT here in DL143, and pay less than that. PT'ers pay even less than I do. Is there no dispensation rate in DL141?

2. IAM PENSION I urge you to read the small print. This is the #1 reason why the UA mechs voted the IAM out. The IAM brought the pension to them on every contract vote and every contract vote got voted down ONLY because they didn't want it. Why? Their reason was "try to collect it". After retirement if you wanted to freelance occasionally for extra money, well, there's something about forfeiting the monthly benefit for each month you work in the same industry or job title that you retired from. Also, for Part-time, you have to work a minimum amount of hours per year or you forfeit it.

I'm not sure how different yours is from ours over here, but we've had guys retire out of here (with both the frozen NW pension and the IAMNPF), go back to work, and not suffer any loss of monthly benefit. I guess I'm not following you?

The next generation is counting on you!

You bet they are; just like we counted on the one before us. They didn't pull the ladder away when it was our turn to climb up, and neither should we.

From www.iam143.org

Countdown begins for Delta Passenger Service

On September 7, 2010, the National Mediation Board (NMB) issued a single carrier ruling for the Passenger Service classification at Delta Air Lines. The long-awaited ruling opens the door to a 14-day period, which is the final opportunity for pre-merger Delta Passenger Service and Reservations workers to submit signed election request cards The 14-day period will end on September 21, 2010. Any pre-merger Delta employee in these classifications who has not recently submitted a signed and dated election request card should do so without delay. Pre-merger Delta full-time, part-time, Ready Reserves and Home Agents are ALL eligible to fill out an election request card and vote in an election.

IAM Files Cards for Delta Fleet Election

On September 7, 2010, the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) submitted thousands of signed election request cards with the NMB to provide the required proof of interest among Delta Fleet Service (ramp) employees for a union representation election. The NMB will examine the cards and set an election
period after verifying the required level of employee interest has been achieved. The election will be conducted under the new NMB guidelines, which gives employees an opportunity to cast a "yes" or a "no" vote. Earlier guidelines counted any employees who did not vote as a "no" vote.

NMB Issues Single Carrier Ruling for Delta Stores

On September 9, 2010, the National Mediation Board (NMB) issued a Single Carrier Ruling for the combined Stock and Stores employees. The ruling begins a 14-day period, which is the final opportunity for pre-merger Delta Stock and Stores employees to submit signed election request cards. The 14-day period will end on September 23, 2010. If a sufficient number of cards are submitted, the NMB will notify employees and schedule a secret ballot election. Any pre-merger Delta employee in the Stock and Stores classification who has not recently submitted a signed and dated election request card should do so without delay.

Kev3188,

Many years ago, our local had a dispensation rate based on your hourly wage. FT and PT still paid the same. Through the years our local has lost the majority of membership so we can no longer "afford" dispensation. We all pay $56.43 monthly. Guess in District 141 the locals decide.

If your guys were 70 1/2 or older, then they have no problems returning to their former employment. If younger, this is what the IAMNPF has to say in their summary plan description.

https://www.iamnpf.org/npf/forms/IAM_SPD_11.pdf

If you return to work after you have retired and
while you are receiving a pension from the National
Pension Plan, your pension may be suspended,
depending upon your age and the type of work you
are doing.
If you have reached normal retirement age, your
pension benefits will be suspended for any month
in which:
– You work 40 or more hours in any industry and
geographical area which was covered by the
Plan when you retired, and
– Your employment is in any trade or craft in
which you worked at any time under the Plan
after your contribution date, which is generally
the date on which a contributing employer first
became obligated to make contributions to
the Plan (or a prior plan) on your behalf.
If you have not reached normal retirement age,
you cannot receive pension benefits and work for a
contributing employer or for any other employer –
including self-employment – in the same or related
business or industry from which you retired, regardless
of the number of hours worked or the geographical
area in which you worked. Further, you may not work
in any employment that would be disqualifying
employment at normal retirement age.
Your pension benefits will not be suspended after
you have reached the date at which benefits must
be paid automatically – generally, the later of the
April 1st following the year during which you retire
or the April 1st following the year during which you
reach age 701/2. (See When Benefits Are Paid
Automatically on page 35.)
If you are thinking about accepting any employment
after you retire, please contact the Fund office
to get a ruling on that employment. You can also
download a “Ruling on Employment” form from the
Plan’s website at www.iamnpf.org. You are required
to report all employment to the Fund office within
30 days of the start of such employment.
The Trustees may require you to periodically provide
information about your employment status.
Disability pensioners are required to report any
employment to the Fund office within 15 days of
returning to work. Failure to make a timely report
of employment may result in disqualification of
benefits for six months.
If the Trustees find, from any source, that you
have worked in employment as just described and
you have not notified the Fund, the Trustees will
presume that you are working 40 hours a month in
disqualifying employment and will suspend your
pension for that month and each subsequent month
until you give written notice that you are no longer
working or establish that the employment is not
disqualifying employment.

Kev3188,

If you return to work after you have retired and
while you are receiving a pension from the National
Pension Plan, your pension may be suspended,
depending upon your age and the type of work you
are doing.
I believe these rules are driven by US tax laws and are not specific to the IAM. ie... you could not retire from a company that has an active pension plan from which you are drawing benefits and then be rehired on a full-time basis. Even if it is not tax law driven, the same requirement exists at other companies. Most companies say that once you are retired, you can return to full-time permanent status again... but at Delta and some other airlines, retirees can work as ready reserve or other seasonal/part-time/termporary jobs if those are allowed.

Someone with more tax knowledge than me can jump in but i am pretty certain this is not an IAM driven requirement.

The result is still the same.... you cannot draw beneftis from a pension plan and then return to employment under it outside of the conditions above. The challenge is that the IAM is a multi-employer plan ... but the bottom line is that you probably cannot retire from one airline and go do the same type of work at another airline which has the same pension plan without affecting your retirement benefits.

This is the restriction that UA mechs wanted no part of:

"If you have not reached normal retirement age,
you cannot receive pension benefits and work for a
contributing employer or for any other employer –
including self-employment – in the same or related
business or industry from which you retired, regardless
of the number of hours worked or the geographical
area in which you worked"

Their reasoning was that they were mechanics by trade, and could not work in ANY related business or industry, not even as self employeed. It specifically states a contributing employer OR FOR ANY OTHER EMPLOYER-INCLUDING SELF EMPLOYMENT. They felt their hands were tied as far as freelancing for extra income.