IMPRESSIONS OF INCOMPETENCE

But, the fact remains that there are people, including on here, that say they aren't going to take it but continue to send revenue to US. They way I look at it, they couldn't care less if you whine and complain everyday because your complaints fall on deaf ears and they continue to operate a business crapual airline.

I have not flown US since mid January, and 2007 just enough to make gold, mostly jan - April. I was flying them on a few city pairs (MHT-LGA) That stopped with the new milage rule.

Total stop was a letter I received in response to my comment on the logic behind cutting miles.

Last night I e-mailed about 6 people in Tempe explaining to them why I stopped flying US. I will be interesting if I ever get a response that is not boilerplate.

A few years ago DL wrote me and asked what they did wrong for me to drop from GM to SM. I had to remind them it was replacing the MD88 @ MHT with RJS. The point being they cared, and comped me gold for that year when I only deserved silver. However I made gold last year because of them caring, I gave them more business. When I need to go to LGA I will take the DL shuttle from BOS.

Piney,

I actually like your approach better, but because of my flying patterns I can't do it. I never understand any airline not just US, that sells a walk up ticket below cost.

I can remember about 3 years ago walking up to the ticket counter with less than 1/2 hour to flight time and purchasing a FFL to PHL for under $200.00. I had to tell the agent I would take the risk of making it though security ( I saw it was empty) That ticket should have been $500.00 or more and my company would have been happy to pay. The best part was I got a UG on a 757,

To answer US1YFare,

I have only anecdotal evidence, sir, but the overwhelming majority of communications I have received indicate this is the straw which breaks the camel's back. While they have illustrated their intent, I can't prove that they are in fact leaving.

That said, if you combine the folks leaving with those who decide to adopt Piney Bob's strategy (which I love by the way), I think we can make our point.

One observation though---when silvers are getting upgraded at the window on heavily traveled business routes, and there are reports of F cabins going out with free seats, what does that tell you?

Circumstantial evidence your honor, but it seems to point in the right direction.

Also one would note that in order to artificially inflate the elite numbers, Tempe has started to "sell" status again--with prices starting around $1050 for buying silver or buying up to next level. They are desperate to show increased number of elites and they are desperate for cash because they are incapable of earning it by the core competency of running an airline. They appear to be so desperate that now they sell Chairman's Status--for $10,000!!! Anyone who does that truly needs their head examined. As one of the other posters stated on Flyertalk, if anyone is crazy enough to do that, we have some bridges in New York they may be interested in too!

It is sad that this company had so much going for them at the beginning of the merger and they have squandered just about all of it....and I think it can only get worse...unfortunately.

Circumstantial evidence your honor, but it seems to point in the right direction.
Jurors, have you reached a verdict?

Yes, we have, Your Honor.

What have you found?

In the case of Customers and Employees v. The New USAirways we find that on Count 1, Tempe is incompetent and has ruined the airline known as The New USAirways. On Count 2 we find that Tempe spins the truth, and on Count 3, Tempe misrepresented to its high yield customers that Chairmans status would NEVER be sold to people who did not earn it, On Count 4, we find that The New USAirways sucks really bad.

Jurors, have you reached a verdict?

Yes, we have, Your Honor.

What have you found?

In the case of Customers and Employees v. The New USAirways we find that on Count 1, Tempe is incompetent and has ruined the airline known as The New USAirways. On Count 2 we find that Tempe spins the truth, and on Count 3, Tempe misrepresented to its high yield customers that Chairmans status would NEVER be sold to people who did not earn it, On Count 4, we find that The New USAirways sucks really bad.

AWESOME!!!!! Great post!

Agent "V"

Keep ‘em coming folks! Send them to me at [email protected] and I’ll post them anonymously for you.

I had not flown US in three months, but I have some great photos of long lines and misconnecting/displaced passengers in CLT from a week ago (while flying an award ticket) that I will be happy to send to you to post! Thanks for the addy! :up:

And here they are!

It looks like if things are too crowded at the delayed flight at gate C13, you could go stand in the long line at Special Services.

02bf6whas8fre4.jpg

o83nf62g6.jpg

Don’t forget my email address for sending more pictures: [email protected].

And here they are!

It looks like if things are too crowded at the delayed flight at gate C13, you could go stand in the long line at Special Services.

Hmmm... I don't see many elite FF-type business travelers in those shots. Looks more like the Ma & Pa Kettle/Kettle Clan types to me.

Well I see a cowboy hat and a hawaiian shirt. That says enough for me. WHERE is this all going? There is NO WAY in hell this airline can operate like this for the long term.

art,
"While all airlines can expect to be in the red due to fuel, US faces significant revenue shortfalls, as their costs go up due to poor labor relations and a continued outflow of high yield business travelers who are no longer willing to pay more for less. Until they learn how to be successful at the core competency of running an airline properly and efficiently, as some of their major competitors do, they have little chance at long term survival, let alone success. I fear US may be one of the first casualties of an extended period of high oil prices, labor unrest, and customer anger."

art thanks for your kind words. I'm just guessing here but I'm thinking Tempe sure would like to have your 70,000.00 plus travel budget for this coming year .. along with all the other elites who have flown on to greener pastures. because it's the elites who
keep paying the bills during recessions and high fuel cycles.. IT cost the same to fly your 1000.00 dollar seat as it does the 100.00
seat burns the same fuel but they lose the profit.. gee HOW hard is that to figure out.

You should stop drinking the cactus flavored KoolAid. US was two weak, mismanaged airlines which each had their own unique problems, but which had one common strength--the best employees in the industry. They came together, continued to be mismanaged, and squandered any chance of long lasting success. In the process they alienated both employees and loyal frequent fliers, and continue to do so to this day.
Ok you are right. I was just trying to find good in something, but I guess you're right, there isn't much. Honestly, this airline has alienated me over the past two or so years, and I've had so many bad experiences that I don't want to fly US anymore. BUT I've also had many good ones. There are some wonderful, friendly people who work for US. I've never been treated poorly by anyone on the inflight crew. I own a company, and I know that my revenue helps to employ people. I really thought that most of the problems were really just PHL related. This board has helped me see that there is A LOT more wrong than just understaffing and incompetant staffing...

I run a small company, and I can first off, say that I am convinced that this recession we are now in is going to be really bad. Not only can I see it in the markets, I can also see in in our sales, and our receivables. People are paying us a lot slower, and some can't pay at all... What we are seeing right now is just the beginning, mark my words. AND, the only companies that are going to make it between now and the next five or so years have to be stable, and really have their crap together, especially the airlines.

I mean, if you were an entrepreneur and you wanted to start a new business, there could be nothing worse than an airline. Your cost of good sold is variable by the minute (fuel) - your maintenance costs are through the roof, the equipment you need depreciates really fast, and the cost of labor only increases over time, etc. And to make it worse, many of your customers actually purchase the product months before the service is delivered... All businesses have their struggles, but most businesses have a profit margin that can be controlled... I know how difficult it is to restructure a company like this, that is broken, while the costs are increasing on a daily basis - and the answer is really having the right direction from the top, a pricing model that works, and a SOLID team of managers and management, that have perfected communications and has the respect of the team. I am convinced that US has none of these key pieces, and you're right, now they are losing their frequent flyers.

I know you're losing elites. I for one only flew US, but for the past few months, I've been shopping around. I've met others already on Delta and Continental (a lot on CO)... I really started looking around not because of price, but for me, it is cleanliness and interiors in need of repair. I associate that with poor maintenance, and poor management. I know that I'm probably wrong about the maintenance, but in the real world, dirty generally equals disorganization.

If this economy begins to fail, there will be very little time to restructure before huge losses start to occur.

Sorry for rambling...

solid,
If your so inclined to comment what type of business do you have.?
We're a little bit diversified. We build eCommerce websites primarily on Yahoo, Ebay and Amazon, provide marketing services for them, and we own a call center. We also build software for eCommerce companies which helps them manage their inventories and better market their products. I'd put our URL here, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that. I employ 165 full time employees, and I am proud to say that we won 11th best company to work for in PA in 2007, and we were 22nd in 2006 :) We would be nothing without our employees. They keep our ship afloat. I believe that if we don't provide a great work environment, our product will suck, and if our product sucks, we will lose our customers. It's not always about the price of the goods. People will pay for good service, but the company must live up to those expectations.

I was working FC a little while back, getting my potato chips outta the bag, (yes, potato chips... no sunchips to be found) getting ready to "neatly arrange" them in the sad excuse of a basket, which is rare that I got that even, only to notice BEFORE I got to the pax that they had expired in October. This was Januay, my friends. We are getting left overs from God knows who. I wonder how many times this happens.

Back