More flight cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "significance" may simply have been informational.  Not everything needs a detailed analysis.  I read this board mainly to see what is going on in the industry that might not make it into mainstream news sources.  Unfortunately, far too many of these FYI type threads turn into the same endless debates, obscuring the original intent of the threads.
but we're trying to find out what the meaning is. Instead we have the OP dreaming of people jumping to their death. Problem for him is that I'm not on the edge.... he is.

We could post the price of eggs in India or jet fuel prices at DFW?

Why these?

And baba,
DL has done this before. They regularly adjust the beginning and end of the season for their summer int'l additions undoubtedly based on bookings, expectations of the economy, costs, other opportunities....

At least you asked the right question which is more than we can ask of most of the rest of the people who have participated.

There will be no shortage of flights added for DL employees to work... there are plenty of new highly competitive markets DL wants a piece of.

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
but we're trying to find out what the meaning is. Instead we have the OP dreaming of people jumping to their death. Problem for him is that I'm not on the edge.... he is.
I have no idea what his personal intention was in posting the information.  And, quite frankly, I don't care.  I found the information useful.  If you don't see value in a post, just ignore the post and let those who do see value read and comment.

Reactions: 3 people
WorldTraveler said:
sure, I'd be glad to.. .thanks for focusing on the topic.
See? Now that wasn't so hard to do, was it?

And just think how much nicer everyone's board experience would've been if you'd done it to start with.

Guess we'll see what new service pops up...

USFlyer said:
And what 700UW posted is just the type of thing certain other posters would gladly post about other carriers, only their posts would contain pages and pages of why those airlines are in deep trouble and how the cuts proof of that.
Bingo.

USFlyer said:
The "significance" may simply have been informational. Not everything needs a detailed analysis. I read this board mainly to see what is going on in the industry that might not make it into mainstream news sources. Unfortunately, far too many of these FYI type threads turn into the same endless debates, obscuring the original intent of the threads.
Also bingo.

WorldTraveler said:
And if such a post was a meaningless extract that had no analysis behind it, or even if didn't, you should challenge the post.
Why?

BABABOOY said:
I'm curious if anyone thinks that with "delayed starts" and flight reductions here and there is a precursor of things to come. Because with 1500 F/A's beginning training in Jan, we will be hearing of many new additions.
I'm more curious if there'll be another Early Out to offset them.

WorldTraveler said:
but we're trying to find out what the meaning is.
No *we're* not. You are.

USFlyer said:
I have no idea what his personal intention was in posting the information.  And, quite frankly, I don't care.  I found the information useful.  If you don't see value in a post, just ignore the post and let those who do see value read and comment.
+1

We should be so lucky.

The chances of an early out are slim, esp. if it hasn't been announced so far. DL rarely offers early outs this late in the year because the employees wouldn't be gone until well into the spring... which is right before the operation ramps up again.

DL has already indicated that it will increase capacity in large part because AA/US has been doing it even as separate airlines. AA/US has built their merger plan around maintaining their current schedules and size or will have to start cutting capacity which will make their staffing levels even worse.

UA had the same problem post merger and kept way too much capacity in, forcing their yields down.

Because the AA/US merger will be so heavily focused on the east coast, DL will add capacity in key markets where it wants to maintain its market position.

Merger time for other carriers is a great time for DL to implement its strategic objects in their markets.

The current DL fleet will be very busy thru the summer of 2014 with the exception of timed out airframes and the DC9s. There are enough new airplanes coming in the 2nd half of 2014 that DL can let some airplanes go after next summer but there is still plenty of flexibility in DL's fleet plan - and that is true for any airline the size of the big 3.

Reactions: 2 people
Useless initial post, followed by two pages of WT trying to shout down 700 and Kev.

Great way to start the day, eh?

no, I am trying to actually discuss what was posted. Problem is that 700 and Kev seem to be clueless about what it all means.

Thankfully , an FA stepped in and gave it some meaning....

I'm sure you, E, are thrilled that DL will have fewer opportunities to run their Porsche's around the airport, right?

I'm more curious if there'll be another Early Out to offset them.

It would be great, but I highly doubt it. These 1500 F/A's are to come online with Summer flying.  From what I can recall, Delta has never offered early out right before summer.  It has always been during Fall/Winter when we need reductions.  

WorldTraveler said:
no, I am trying to actually discuss what was posted.
Bullsh*t.

You thought you had an opening to pick on someone, wound up looking like a D-bag in doing so, and are now trying to "grasp" at some semblance of face-saving.

BABABOOY said:
It would be great, but I highly doubt it.
Me too, but what would we do without galley/break room gossip and conjecture? :)

and you have said what that actually contributed to the discussion? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Neither has 700 either.

just lock the thread.

It was over your and 700's head the minute it was posted but you are the ones who have said absolutely nothing to contribute to it other than worrying about an early out for a couple of RJ flight reductions and the pushback by a couple of int'l flights for a couple of weeks?

See, there you go again. This is what I've been talking about.

Since you can't help but attack people, maybe you should just skip topics like this one and let others enjoy them.

how about you focus on the topic? If you were discussing the topic, there wouldn't be any time or need to worry about the rest.

The simple fact is that we are now four pages into a thread with absolutely no understanding of why it was even started, any sense of direction or what the thread means, but we do have a whole lot of personal back and forth.

There is no reason for the thread to exist if there is no real discussion on the issue.

The thread should have been locked the minute 700 failed to be able to articulate why he posted it, why he chose this week out of all of the others, and why he hasn't done this to any other airline this week or other weeks.

WorldTraveler said:
how about you focus on the topic?
We've already covered projecting/flipping, and how you're not very good at it. No need to rehash any of that.

The simple fact is that we are now four pages into a thread with absolutely no understanding of why it was even started, any sense of direction or what the thread means, but we do have a whole lot of personal back and forth.

There is no reason for the thread to exist if there is no real discussion on the issue.
No, those are your perceptions.

Since when are you the arbiter of what is or isn't a viable thread?

I've also given you umpteen opportunities to actually contribute something to the thread. DO you think you could help us out and participate instead of playing Dr. Laura?

The best way you could prove that the thread is viable is to actually contribute something to it. So far you are failing miserably at convincing anyone of the value.

There is always time for a miracle. Surprise us, Kev.

The topic is a few random schedule changes in spring 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts