OCT/NOV 2012 IAM Fleet Service Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you believe, as an unskilled Fleet Service worker within this industry, you would be better off with or without union representation?

Better off with it. If I wanted to be treated to the Express work experience and pay I'd be working for Piedmont.

I can respect that, a person's upbringing definitely shapes their views. My beef is people need to realize that not everyone is equal and deserves the same lifestyle. Just like some kids in school got A's and some got F's, its not fair to punish those that achieve or the american way is lost. The problem is the democrat party does nothing but reward poverty, and eventually there is not enough people willing to work to support those that don't. If everyone focused on achieving instead of taking, society would thrive.

After seeing 1st hand how the rest of the world lives in my travels, people at the poverty level of a republican society live like kings compared to most parts of the world. Eventually though people see mtv, hollywood, ect showing people with nicer lifestyles then them and find "they want theirs too." And they feel intitled to it without going through the fire to get it. Maybe if the poor went to other countries outside the US they would get a reality check on how blessed they are, time for them to focus on the things they have in their life instead of things they don't.
The ills of society in this country that you speak of have nothing to do with organized labor. Organized labor fights for fair wages, benefits and working conditions of those willing to put in an honest day's work for an honest day's wage. No sense of entitlement...just a fair shake. Unfortunately, many members feel a sense of entitlement and take for granted the wages, benefits and working conditions they enjoy as a result of hard fought union contractual battles. With misguided advice from false prophets they are quick to critisize, second guess and judge the only organizations looking out for their best interests. For the betterment of the "working" middle class in this country, such as you and I, this trend must end. Otherwise, the future and fortunes of the working middle class in this country will in fact be destined to share the living conditions of the poor in other countries. IMO... the unions in this country are fighting to prevent this from happening. Are you with us or against us? In or out?
ograc

The ills of society in this country that you speak of have nothing to do with organized labor. Organized labor fights for fair wages, benefits and working conditions of those willing to put in an honest day's work for an honest day's wage. No sense of entitlement...just a fair shake. Unfortunately, many members feel a sense of entitlement and take for granted the wages, benefits and working conditions they enjoy as a result of hard fought union contractual battles. With misguided advice from false prophets they are quick to critisize, second guess and judge the only organizations looking out for their best interests. For the betterment of the "working" middle class in this country, such as you and I, this trend must end. Otherwise, the future and fortunes of the working middle class in this country will in fact be destined to share the living conditions of the poor in other countries. IMO... the unions in this country are fighting to prevent this from happening. Are you with us or against us? In or out?
ograc
ograc

It's true the growing disparity between the avg worker and ceo salary have become much distant. Thats just the effect of the global changing economy. But you can't "bite the hand that feeds" ie business to force upon them more benefits and higher pay of they will simply pack up shop and move the show elsewhere. A job is better than no job at all imo.

WN is the highest unionized airline, highest paid employees, yet they have been the most constant and profitable airline over the past 30 years, explain that one, BM.

WN is the highest unionized airline, highest paid employees, yet they have been the most constant and profitable airline over the past 30 years, explain that one, BM.

Easy

1. They are a completely different type of company who puts emloyees 1st, customers 2nd, and share-holders 3rd. That is the exact opposite of how most legacy airlines view their priorities. They feel employee moral is most important so they try and compensate accordingly. Once again that Southwests choice.

2. They make money hand over fist by flying a point-to-point model, use 1 type of aircraft (737) to minimize fleet and parts cost, and they are a true low-cost carrier that underpromises but overdelivers its product to customers to keep them coming back.

Bottom line..they built a better mousetrap than the rest of the airlines.

It's true the growing disparity between the avg worker and ceo salary have become much distant. Thats just the effect of the global changing economy.

No, it's the effect of regulations/laws being enacted (or old ones being removed) to promote unchecked greed.

You've talked about traveling and seeing how other countries live. If you want to wind up like a 3rd world country, keep advocating for big business' current path, and we'll get there in no time.

With all due respect, you realize you're promoting an agenda completely at odds w/your best interests, right?

Forum LCC Brothers and Sisters . With ALL the current rant ,opinion, and discussion of current AIRLINE news. Has any one thought, discussed ,or pondered how a STRIKE ! at UAL by our IAM Brothers and Sisters will effect US ? Or for those NEPOTITES out there for them ?

The recent posts on this forum represent various points of view. Some based on opinion and others based on fact. In an effort to gain consensus among those engaged in this forum I ask the following question:
Do you believe, as an unskilled Fleet Service worker within this industry, you would be better off with or without union representation?
Please be honest. I'll afford everyone 48 hours to respond. Let's lay the cards on the table shall we?

Cargo I'm now retired, but no matter what one's personal 02 of the union is the union is a must have. If one thinks it's bad now you don't want to think of it with out a union.

The recent posts on this forum represent various points of view. Some based on opinion and others based on fact. In an effort to gain consensus among those engaged in this forum I ask the following question:
Please be honest. I'll afford everyone 48 hours to respond. Let's lay the cards on the table shall we?

Cargo...

This is a "no brainer"! We wouldn't even be discussing it in this forum...because FS would not exist if there were no union! It would be a third party contract group that does not consider itself part of the industry!

No, it's the effect of regulations/laws being enacted (or old ones being removed) to promote unchecked greed.

You've talked about traveling and seeing how other countries live. If you want to wind up like a 3rd world country, keep advocating for big business' current path, and we'll get there in no time.

With all due respect, you realize you're promoting an agenda completely at odds w/your best interests, right?

I disagree, the US economy was strongest when it was a producer and jobs were plentiful. Now US is becoming more and more of an importer of products produced overseas. This is due to businesses moving to other countries for cheap labor. It makes no sense for say an auto maker to pay someone in the US $30 an hour to put a hubcap on a car, when a worker in china will do it for a $2 an hr. I don't like it either but thats the painful truth.

The business that are staying are doing so because of geographic/demographic reasons and/or combinations of tax breaks/benefits/wages that don't but the business in the red (a loss). Once that tide changes meaning the fiscal cliff everyone keeps hearing about, businesses either downsize or vanish.

Cargo I'm now retired, but no matter what one's personal 02 of the union is the union is a must have. If one thinks it's bad now you don't want to think of it with out a union.
Thank you for the input. Let's see what others on this forum have to say.

Cargo...

This is a "no brainer"! We wouldn't even be discussing it in this forum...because FS would not exist if there were no union! It would be a third party contract group that does not consider itself part of the industry!
no doubt roabilly. Let's see if others on this forum share the same opinion.

I disagree, the US economy was strongest when it was a producer and jobs were plentiful. Now US is becoming more and more of an importer of products produced overseas. This is due to businesses moving to other countries for cheap labor.

And why do you think that change has occurred over the last 3 decades?

What do you think the answer is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back