OCT/NOV 2012 IAM Fleet Service Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brothers and Sisters,The Negotiating Committee met with the company the week of October 15th in Phoenix and again had a very productive session. Proposals on Hours of Service, Overtime, Filling of Vacancies, Reductions in Force, Displacement and Recall, Sick Leave, Holidays, Safety and Health and General and Miscellaneous were passed by the company and the Negotiating Committee. We continue to clean up language and now have turned to more wage and benefit discussions.

Regarding protection of our seniority if a merger with American Airlines was to take place, the IAM Grand Lodge has taken over and has told the company that we MUST have protections for our members. The Negotiating Committee appreciates the support we receive from the Grand Lodge including the services of Grand Lodge Representative Tom Regan whose vast knowledge and experience are helpful in this tedious process.

Future negotiations include the week of November 26th in Chicago, the week of December 17th in Phoenix and the week of January 7th in Phoenix. We continue to leave no stone unturned in the negotiating process to bring back the best possible contract for all the membership.
Does anyone know if there has been an agreement on scope language. Specifically, the threshold of mainline flying and outsourcing of stations. This recent update, on the District's website, doesn't seem to address this important issue.
ograc

Reactions: 1 person
Is Fleet Service using a Mediator to attend the meetings with Fleet Service like the Mechanic and Related

Is Fleet Service using a Mediator to attend the meetings with Fleet Service like the Mechanic and Related
I don't believe so. We have not yet been in negotiations as long as MTC. & Related. At some point I'm sure we'll get there. US is in no hurry to reach any agreements with it's unions. IMO... they're dancing and meeting their obligation to negotiate in good faith... but that's about it. They don't want anything muddying the waters in their pursuit of AA at this time.
ograc

Does anyone know if there has been an agreement on scope language. Specifically, the threshold of mainline flying and outsourcing of stations. This recent update, on the District's website, doesn't seem to address this important issue.
ograc

It will not address the issue because negotiations are still going on. Do you really expect the NC to tell you (or the FSA group as a whole rather) that they agreed upon anything at this point? That's why there are updates. What if what they told us changed, for better or worse, but it changed, AFTER we were told it was agreed upon. What then? Here is an example, lets say that the NC informed us that they "agreed" to $26 an hour. Told Fleet Service this, and then, during NEGOTIATIONS, reduced the pay to say $24 to get better insurance premiums for us? How pissed off do you think the group would be then? All everybody would say is where in my $26 an hour, You said we were getting $26 an hour, you lied, right? And BTW, yes, Fleet is using a Federal Mediator.

It will not address the issue because negotiations are still going on. Do you really expect the NC to tell you (or the FSA group as a whole rather) that they agreed upon anything at this point? That's why there are updates. What if what they told us changed, for better or worse, but it changed, AFTER we were told it was agreed upon. What then? Here is an example, lets say that the NC informed us that they "agreed" to $26 an hour. Told Fleet Service this, and then, during NEGOTIATIONS, reduced the pay to say $24 to get better insurance premiums for us? How pissed off do you think the group would be then? All everybody would say is where in my $26 an hour, You said we were getting $26 an hour, you lied, right? And BTW, yes, Fleet is using a Federal Mediator.
pj,
I fully understand and can appreciate the need for confidentiality during negotiations. Proposals are on the table and then off. Don't preach to me about the need for confidentiality during negotiations. Been in this industry and affected by negotiations enough to appreciate this need. I just find it kind of ironic that when the Canale Team used the same approach they were accused of "closed door" agreements. I asked if anyone had insight into the status of this issue regarding negotiations nothing more. Based on your post and example I can see where your contractual focus is. I'm assuming you have many more years before retiring. If my assumption is correct I suggest you take a closer look at what the contract holds for your future and not just houry wage. Get beyond such a short sighted and narrow minded focus. Anyway... there are many other factors in play that may have a greater impact on your life and career than the negotiating dance at US. Thank you for your angry little post, but you haven't told me anything I didn't already know.
ograc

ograc

If you knew then you wouldn't have asked this question.

pj,
I fully understand and can appreciate the need for confidentiality during negotiations. Proposals are on the table and then off. Don't preach to me about the need for confidentiality during negotiations. Been in this industry and affected by negotiations enough to appreciate this need. I just find it kind of ironic that when the Canale Team used the same approach they were accused of "closed door" agreements. I asked if anyone had insight into the status of this issue regarding negotiations nothing more. Based on your post and example I can see where your contractual focus is. I'm assuming you have many more years before retiring. If my assumption is correct I suggest you take a closer look at what the contract holds for your future and not just houry wage. Get beyond such a short sighted and narrow minded focus. Anyway... there are many other factors in play that may have a greater impact on your life and career than the negotiating dance at US. Thank you for your angry little post, but you haven't told me anything I didn't already know.
ograc

You have no idea where my contractual focus is. It was an example, nothing more than that. And BTW, Canoli did have a closed door session with the company, without the negotiating committee, to complete this P.O.S. of a contract we have now. And with your reply, we can see where your allegiances still lie. Do you read any of the updates? The one dated June 1st, stated that Classifications were discussed. Along with the July 17th update. And man your feathers get ruffled easily, if my "angry little post" upset you like this. Why dont you ask MW about how Canoli went to talk to the company without the NC. Oh wait, dont do that, he is one of canoli's boys afterall.

ograc

This is what you asked is it not? An agreement. If you know negotiations, then you wouldn't have asked if there was an agreement. A proposal maybe, but not an agreement.

You have no idea where my contractual focus is. It was an example, nothing more than that. And BTW, Canoli did have a closed door session with the company, without the negotiating committee, to complete this P.O.S. of a contract we have now. And with your reply, we can see where your allegiances still lie. Do you read any of the updates? The one dated Julne 1st, stated that Classifications were discussed. Along with the July 17th update. And man your feathers get ruffled easily, if my "angry little post" upset you like this. Why dont you ask MW about how Canoli went to talk to the company without the NC. Oh wait, dont do that, he is one of canoli's boys afterall.
Feathers aren't ruffled at all. Article 4 Classifications does not cover the language I was asking about. I read all of the updates. The issue of subcontracting outline stations falls under Article 3 Recognition and Scope. As stated in my original post this issue is not mentioned. My allegiance is with the betterment of the membership not any particular individual. I have supported candidates who did not win election. In spite of this... I have remained involved and supported the members' choice and my union's elected leadership... which is more than I can say for others. You misread me PJ.
ograc

RICH DELANEY, JUNE 1, 2012 — Download Negotiations between District 141 and US Airways resumed this week in Chicago. The focus of the week, as it has been for the past several months, was job security and enhanced seniority protection.

This is right from the 141 web page.

Feathers aren't ruffled at all. Article 4 Classifications does not cover the language I was asking about. I read all of the updates. The issue of subcontracting outline stations falls under Article 3 Recognition and Scope. As stated in my original post this issue is not mentioned. My allegiance is with the betterment of the membership not any particular individual. I have supported candidates who did not win election. In spite of this... I have remained involved and supported the members' choice and my union's elected leadership... which is more than I can say for others. You misread me PJ.
ograc

Look,

All I did was point out that the NC will not, and should not, inform the membership of any "agreements" that are made during negotiations, because things can change. I point this out to you, and blammmmo, I'm "angry", and you know where my "contractual focus" is. Seriously?

P.S.
You do know the difference between a "proposal" and an "agreement" right?

And BTW, yes, Fleet is using a Federal Mediator.

I was not aware that the union and the company jointly applied for Mediation with the National Mediation Board for Fleet Service and that the NMB has assign a case number and negotiations were under the auspices of the NMB

Look,

All I did was point out that the NC will not, and should not, inform the membership of any "agreements" that are made during negotiations, because things can change. I point this out to you, and blammmmo, I'm "angry", and you know where my "contractual focus" is. Seriously?

P.S.
You do know the difference between a "proposal" and an "agreement" right?
Absolutely know the difference. The update states passing proposals. In other words... dancing with no "real" progress. So what is the NC's proposal regarding Article 3 language? Does anyone know? Based on the current situation with AA none of it really matters. The company will continue to meet it's minimal legal obligation to negotiate in good faith until there is a resolve to their real agenda. A merger or acquisition with or of AA respectively. In the meantime the updates are pretty vanilla.
P.S.
You do know the difference between "negotiating in good faith" and "just going through the motions" right?

Status
Not open for further replies.