Southwest suspends 737 MAX flights until August!

" IF " AK was to be 'HAD', AA would have 'HAD' them years ago !

Also, AK has "Premium (aka 1st. class) seats)" !
Now Bears, we all know that EVERYONE has a price. Admittedly for AK it would be a high price, but if WN decided that was the course to take, they would pay it.

Redoing the cabin to a WN configuration: (assuming that WN would want to do that. If you go to WN website and ask for San Jose to Honolulu, a fare category called Business Select pops up with the other more familiar fare categories. Could this be the WN version of First or Business Class? )

Reconfiguring to WN seating simply involves taking out the premium seats, replacing the double seating tracks with triple tracks, and putting in the coach seats. Then, remove the bulkhead separating the premium cabin from coach. VOYLAH! :rolleyes: WN configuration. (Voylah being the East Texas phonetic equivalent of the French word, voila, pronounced vwah-la.:D)

Last edited:
Fantasize all you want, but the days of WN, AA, DL, or UA being able to entertain participating in a merger are long over.

Merging with a Canadian airline? Even less likely.

I was also surprised to see WN disposing of the -700's, but those plans were set in motion before the groundings and probably harder to stop once WN committed to return those to GECAS. I also don't see how there's any agreement here between LUV and UAL. It looks like GECAS is simply taking back an aircraft and selling it to someone else who just happens to be UA.
SWA could have stopped the returns in a heartbeat. Just like they did the 300's years back.
Never said there was an agreement between SWA and UAL. I even stated that the deal was from GECAS going to United but they are SWA's used 700's.
Don't even know why you posted this. It says the same as I posted and I even provided a link that says the very same thing... Here's a reminder:

SWA could have stopped the returns in a heartbeat. Just like they did the 300's years back.
Never said there was an agreement between SWA and UAL. I even stated that the deal was from GECAS going to United but they are SWA's used 700's.
Don't even know why you posted this. It says the same as I posted and I even provided a link that says the very same thing... Here's a reminder:

We

Well driver, looks like the final decision on the 700's are in. SWA and UAL just signed an agreement for our used 700's that we are sending back early. Currently set 19 700's going to UAL from GECAC. I'm a little surprised they are still doing this with not knowing the final outcome of the Max's. Maybe GK knows something we don't. Like a new model or a/c coming to the fleet. Or as you have stated, will there soon be an announcement of us purchasing another airline? Just seems odd timing to me not knowing the end results of the Max's. Hopefully GK knows best...

My Sup at work, said those 700s leaving the fleet are on hold, till the Max comes back, if it comes back. I am sure the increased tariffs on China today, had no influence on China Southern, canceling their Max orders, Go Figure! :)

My Sup at work, said those 700s leaving the fleet are on hold, till the Max comes back, if it comes back. I am sure the increased tariffs on China today, had no influence on China Southern, canceling their Max orders, Go Figure! :)
That's a bit interesting. UAL has signed an agreement to receive these 19 700's from GECAS, which they are receiving from us (SWA) for lease returns. Maybe within the agreement the time frame is put off for a set time frame, who knows???

swamt, your own requote says "SWA and UAL just signed an agreement for our used 700's that we are sending back early."

It's pretty easy to read that as SWA and UAL coming to an agreement, which we know they didn't.

My guess is that the -300's were easier to hold onto probably because there wasn't a committed buyer for them. Might be a different proposition now that GECAS has a buyer. At the very least, it won't be free for GECAS to tell UAL that they won't be getting their airplanes, and I'd expect that to be passed along to SWA.

swamt, your own requote says "SWA and UAL just signed an agreement for our used 700's that we are sending back early."

It's pretty easy to read that as SWA and UAL coming to an agreement, which we know they didn't.

My guess is that the -300's were easier to hold onto probably because there wasn't a committed buyer for them. Might be a different proposition now that GECAS has a buyer. At the very least, it won't be free for GECAS to tell UAL that they won't be getting their airplanes, and I'd expect that to be passed along to SWA.

I know what my post said, I wrote it.
The agreements signed were between SWA and GECAS for the return lease and UAL and GECAS for the purchase of used a/c. hence both SWA and UAL signed agreements that would deliver our used 700's, returned to GECAS, and then sold to UAL. They all signed agreements to do so, it really is that simple.
No matter your confusion, the end results is, UAL is purchasing SWA's used 700's from GECAS. Still not understanding your big issue with the post, no one else has had any issues with it, just you.

Oh no. Just saw on the news more issues with the Max software. The news brief made sound as if now, Boeing will be doing a software "overhaul" instead of just a software update. Not good IMO. Probably further delays will come. I'm not so confident any longer on the Max fix from Boeing going as smooth as they are predicting. Once again, SWA and AA and United will all take the hits some more...

Oh no. Just saw on the news more issues with the Max software. The news brief made sound as if now, Boeing will be doing a software "overhaul" instead of just a software update. Not good IMO. Probably further delays will come. I'm not so confident any longer on the Max fix from Boeing going as smooth as they are predicting. Once again, SWA and AA and United will all take the hits some more...
And Airbus with their A321 models keep chugging away. Boeing is stuck on a 1960's restoration upgrade while Airbus took it to the next level a few years ago.

Boeing has nothing to offer in the narrowbody market.

And Airbus with their A321 models keep chugging away. Boeing is stuck on a 1960's restoration upgrade while Airbus took it to the next level a few years ago.

Boeing has nothing to offer in the narrowbody market.
It's time for us to look elsewhere to replace the Max 8's. Losing out on not expanding and growing. GK needs to start getting dead serious with Boeing on this issue and quickly. Too long of a holding pattern...

It's time for us to look elsewhere to replace the Max 8's. Losing out on not expanding and growing. GK needs to start getting dead serious with Boeing on this issue and quickly. Too long of a holding pattern...

I'm beginning think that the only acceptable ( to public and regulators) option for Boeing is to retire the 737, including the MAX, and start over using the Traditional Boeing approach--Top of the line engineering and design and nothing gets approved just because some executive wants a bigger bonus or to leave early on Friday. Throw out the "let's see if we can find an extra nickel of profit here in the wing" approach. After all the 737 is over 50 years old--first commercial flight was April9, 1967! I was a junior in college and I'm older than dirt now.

Problem: Building an all-new aircraft takes time. Time that AA, WN, and UA don't have. Don't look to me for a solution. I'm a flight attendant. I'm paid to be cute, not smart.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts