2 ' Brothers ' SHOT. 1 in NC, the other in OK.

Harry Potter said:

Your article is a prime example of liars figure and figures lie.   BAsically...they aren't disputing the numbers - they are taking this and subtracting that and figuring this and calculating that and PRESTO...we have the answer that supports our view. 

But, don't you see KC?  When conservatives do that, it's science and mathematics--not to be disputed.  It's only when liberal play with the facts that it become lying.  Conservatives have never allowed themselves to be confused by facts once their minds are made up.

Facts

chartoftheday_5211_us_citizens_killed_by_police_2016_n.jpg

Adjusted to show totally dead people killed by police.

Reactions: 1 person
delldude said:
Facts

That is not from the WAPO:

You should have provided the link.

"About Statista Inc.

Statista is one of the leading statistics companies on the internet. With a team of over 250 statisticians, database experts, analysts, and editors, Statista provides users with an innovative and intuitive tool for researching quantitative data, statistics and related information. The product is aimed at business clients and academics of any size. Consultant firms and media agencies license our services as well as strategy and marketing departments in large corporations from a variety of industries. Our client base includes a wide range of globally active companies and premier academic institutions. Since the launch of the platform in 2008, more than 1,000,000 users have registered with Statista."

So according

delldude said:
Facts

While that sure looks like black folks don't have any room to complain, let's do a little more work with it....lets look at percentages.  As of the 2015 census, Whites made up 62% of the population and blacks made up 12.2% of the population.  According to your chart, of the people killed by police, 47% were white and 25% were black.  So the percentage of blacks killed by police is more than double the percentage of blacks in the United States.  

Reactions: 1 person
KCFlyer said:
So according

While that sure looks like black folks don't have any room to complain, let's do a little more work with it....lets look at percentages.  As of the 2015 census, Whites made up 62% of the population and blacks made up 12.2% of the population.  According to your chart, of the people killed by police, 47% were white and 25% were black.  So the percentage of blacks killed by police is more than double the percentage of blacks in the United States.  

Your post:

Your article is a prime example of liars figure and figures lie.   BAsically...they aren't disputing the numbers - they are taking this and subtracting that and figuring this and calculating that and PRESTO...we have the answer that supports our view.

During the Viet Nam War, I saw the daily KIA figures and it was dead blacks, whites and whoever else was killed......no splitting hairs then, dead.........just like now.

maybe we should discuss the number of blacks in prison for violent crimes compared to their % of the population

as compared to other ethnic groups

delldude said:

Your post:

During the Viet Nam War, I saw the daily KIA figures and it was dead blacks, whites and whoever else was killed......no splitting hairs then, dead.........just like now.

The only thing is that I manipulated nothing....I simply took a raw number and got the percentage for it...the post I was replying to was "well...if we look at inner city then then take out the teen count and then....they took the data with a "yes but"...and went on to tweak the numbers.   I simply took your numbers...totaled them up (509) and got the average for each group.  

And you are right...in Vietnam or Iraq or WW2 or any other war, those killed were killed by an enemy...so there was no splitting hairs.  But when you see your people killed at a rate that is double your presence in the population by a group whose job is "to serve and protect", then isn't there a tendency for them to be viewed as the enemy?  But if we want to fix the problem...if we want to have the black community to stop viewing the police as "the enemy", the BOTH sides have to make some adjustments.

For example - Yes Sandra Bland was lippy...yes she "refused to comply"  to an order that was idiotic - he gave that order to exercise his power over her.  That's the reason she almost got tazed....she "refused to comply".  And when you dismiss that conduct as "Officers prerogative", you are saying that this is an acceptable way to treat people.  

And to any of the "I love cops, they are great", remember that when you get pulled over and ticketed because you made a right turn in an empty intersection without coming to a complete stop.  Remember that if you find yourself uttering "son of a b!itch" after he issues you a ticket.  That's why I reposted the video of the woman threatening to kill the cop writing her a ticket.  Cops SHOULD be respected, but often times they aren't....by blacks AND whites.  And part of their training should be in not escalating a situation.   The cop in Kansas showed that...the cop in Texas didn't. 

cltrat said:
maybe we should discuss the number of blacks in prison for violent crimes compared to their % of the population

as compared to other ethnic groups

Only if we include the number of blacks in prison on nonviolent drug offenses.   We breed that when we take a guy who COULD be out making a living, but instead is in jail because he smoked weed or crack.   

KCFlyer said:

Only if we include the number of blacks in prison on nonviolent drug offenses.   We breed that when we take a guy who COULD be out making a living, but instead is in jail because he smoked weed or crack.   

You owe that to Bill Clinton mandatory minimums.....remember his recent finger wagging at a HC rally before he got pulled?

How about was a major distributor and why would he be out working when its easier to get subsidized?

Sheesh... splitting hairs a bit, Glenn?

Statista is a company that specializes in data aggregation and visualization. Someone who works there plugged in data sourced from the WaPo to create the treemap.

Keep in mind that the WaPo's database is crowdsourced. Some of the detail e.g. "signs of mental illness" are subjective depending on if it's coming from the public vs. a police report.

KCFlyer said:

If that video proves anything, it proves that when the person stopped is white, they will get multiple warning and the police won't fire until the fool with the gun fires first.  If a person is stopped is black and they turn to go to their car while defying a cops orders, odds are pretty good that  they are shot, regardless of if they are going for a gun, a book or their insurance card before they get to the drivers door. 

Edited to add...I counted 25 warnings from the cop - six of them involving the gun...this was BEFORE a single shot was fired....by the white THUG.  Sandra Bland was almost tased because she "could have" assaulted the officer with cigarette smoke. 

Bland escalated the situation and the officer has the option to protect himself.

How was the officer to know whether or not she was armed, mentally unstable or anything else?

You should work as a cop for a couple months, I'm sure you'd have a huge revelation as to dealing with the public.