A.a. Throughs A Week Long Party!

LaBradford22 said:
I bet if they didn't have this conference, the company would only lose $999.9 million instead of $1 billion this year. Then, maybe the company could give every Union member back 0.00000001% of his/her salary. <_<
[post="189132"][/post]​

Ok. I'll take it! Even if its only 0.000000001%, I want it! This aint a charity, its a business.

If this has to do with all that "overland" crap then it was a waste of money. From what I heard from one of the participants AA still has seven levels of management where they should only have at most, four. They think that they can leave such a top heavy structure in place and replace our living wage and benifits with Starbucks coupons. Take away $20,000 a year in compensation, then if we jump through the hoops give us a free cup of coffee. Sure that will boost morale and productivity! But will it make having seven layers of management more efficient than three or four?

Next they will be telling us they grabbed all the soaps and towels from the hotel, so the conference paid for itself.

Bob Owens said:
Ok. I'll take it! Even if its only 0.000000001%, I want it! This aint a charity, its a business.

If this has to do with all that "overland" crap then it was a waste of money. From what I heard from one of the participants AA still has seven levels of management where they should only have at most, four. They think that they can leave such a top heavy structure in place and replace our living wage and benifits with Starbucks coupons. Take away $20,000 a year in compensation, then if we jump through the hoops give us a free cup of coffee. Sure that will boost morale and productivity! But will it make having seven layers of management more efficient than three or four?
[post="189749"][/post]​
Could you please enlighten us with the 7 layers that you describe? Also what are your arguments to call the overland efforts "crap"? Or is the burden of proof only for the ones that do not agree with you :)

air_guy said:
Could you please enlighten us with the 7 layers that you describe?
[post="189875"][/post]​

Actually, seven levels is about right.

1: non-management employees
2: L3/4 supervisor
3: L5/6 manager
4: L8 director
5: VP
6: SVP
7: Arpey

I also attended the conference, and I believe there's a huge benefit to having all of management in the same place at the same time. And yes, the unions and AAB were represented. I sat thru a couple of sessions with one of the AAB reps who was present.

We've all seen examples where a message gets changed as it passes down. Historically, that's probably been part of AA's problem -- front line supervisors getting a different message than what the CEO gives the VP's.

There's just not a lot of room for bias or creative interpretation when you hear it direct from the CEO and SVP's. The same goes for having the union leaders hearing the same message -- it keeps everyone on the same page, and hopefully, breaks down a few more barriers from decades past.

The only criticism I have of this affair is that Arpey himself should have said to all employees (if he didn't) that all management employees would be meeting in Texas in order to ..... It is important to have these type of meetings but there clearly are no secrets in our world. The CEO himself needs to set the agenda and tell employees why corporate money is being spent. People don't carry on about the money that is being spent to improve the product and invest in new in-flight entertainment or health care benefits. Both types of expenditures are necessary to ensure the company is competitive. AA is spending far more on health care this year than last (all companies are) but no one is complaining about that expenditure. A company's health also depends on good morale and communications.

WorldTraveler said:
The only criticism I have of this affair is that Arpey himself should have said to all employees (if he didn't) that all management employees would be meeting in Texas in order to ..... It is important to have these type of meetings but there clearly are no secrets in our world. The CEO himself needs to set the agenda and tell employees why corporate money is being spent. People don't carry on about the money that is being spent to improve the product and invest in new in-flight entertainment or health care benefits. Both types of expenditures are necessary to ensure the company is competitive. AA is spending far more on health care this year than last (all companies are) but no one is complaining about that expenditure. A company's health also depends on good morale and communications.
[post="190020"][/post]​
:down: Worldtraveler---- Question? Do you feel an "Open Bar" appropriate for such a meeting? Do your feel transporting, feeding, lodging, 3,500+ employees, unoin officals, venders, appropreate at this time????

air_guy said:
Could you please enlighten us with the 7 layers that you describe? Also what are your arguments to call the overland efforts "crap"? Or is the burden of proof only for the ones that do not agree with you :)
[post="189875"][/post]​

Apparently the company has up to seven layers of management. This was told to me by a participant in the committee. We see it here on the floor. Years ago the company went with a strategy that eliminated a lot of management and instead increased the workload on crew chiefs. This gave the company a cost advantage and was described in the book "Airline Labor Relations in the Global Era", chapter 16 ISBN 0-87546-3444-4. However over the last few years we have seen the ranks of management increase dramatically. So not only do we have several layers but each layer is fatter than ever. From the mechanic we have a crew chief, Supervisor, shift manager, station manager, area director, line maintenance director, maintenance VP, operations VP, President of AA, Ceo of AMR.

As far as the overland crap, The fact is that the company cut our pay and benifits way beyond any reasonable measure, now they are paying those clowns to find out how to cheer us up, they seem to think that we are like seals in the circus and will jump though rings of fire for coupons to Starbucks. Please! If a company has to hire outsiders to figure out what is wrong with their employees and how to get them back then they are wasting their money, they need to replace their management. That money would be better spent by giving it where it is needed.

Bob Owens said:
Apparently the company has up to seven layers of management. This was told to me by a participant in the committee. We see it here on the floor. Years ago the company went with a strategy that eliminated a lot of management and instead increased the workload on crew chiefs. This gave the company a cost advantage and was described in the book "Airline Labor Relations in the Global Era", chapter 16 ISBN 0-87546-3444-4. However over the last few years we have seen the ranks of management increase dramatically. So not only do we have several layers but each layer is fatter than ever. From the mechanic we have a crew chief, Supervisor, shift manager, station manager, area director, line maintenance director, maintenance VP, operations VP, President of AA, Ceo of AMR.
As far as the overland crap, The fact is that the company cut our pay and benifits way beyond any reasonable measure, now they are paying those clowns to find out how to cheer us up, they seem to think that we are like seals in the circus and will jump though rings of fire for coupons to Starbucks. Please! If a company has to hire outsiders to figure out what is wrong with their employees and how to get them back then they are wasting their money, they need to replace their top management. That money would be better spent by giving it where it is needed.

It seems that the company learned nothing from the APFA strike.
[post="190081"][/post]​

air_guy said:
[post="189875"][/post]​

Settle down now, airguy.