A New Round Of Mid-atlantic Classes...

Good grief. I am so confused. Why in the world are they calling all of these people back (sending out letters again for class dates) if they aren't even sure they are going to need them?

They already made an announcement saying their staffing was currently "healthy"...so what do they plan to do with all of these additonal flight attendants? Will they just sit around?

They evidently have some plan up their sleeve. :blink:

Boeing boy, thanks for the info. If there is nothing definitve on the deliveries, what is your take on the need for recalls?

Air conditioned,

All I have to go on are the BK filings, where the only deliveries spelled out are the 3 CRJ-700's.

I would expect that there are discussions being held about delivery schedules and aircraft types in connection with the RJ leases contained in the GE deal.

The only thing I can add is just some food for thought. I understand MDA F/A's are qualified on all the company's aircraft, so could be used in the event of a mainline F/A work action after contract abrogation (if it comes to that). Unlike any other group of F/A's or folks off the street, there would be no additional training required.

Aside from we pilots (who have an agreement), no other group that I know of requires airline specific training. A Piedmont ramper could fill in for a mainline ramper. A PSA agent could fill in for a mainline agent. Contract maintenance could fill in for mainline maintenance.

Jim

OK, this is just rumor that a mechanic for MAA said..now he did not say rumor..but, I consider it a rumor...MAA will be getting the 190's next year sometime..and they will be 108 seaters..now remember he may have just been starting a rumor (I hope not) but..that came from his mouth. Also, we will be flying those out of DC to the islands..alot of the islands ...MBJ..AUA...ect....maybe he was just talking out of his "butt" just to be talking, but, I kinda can beleive it..also..the express is to come off the A/C by Feb.....that is what the FAA says..can anyone tell me if they have heard any of this to be actually true??

xoxo said:
OK, this is just rumor that a mechanic for MAA said..now he did not say rumor..but, I consider it a rumor...MAA will be getting the 190's next year sometime..and they will be 108 seaters..now remember he may have just been starting a rumor (I hope not) but..that came from his mouth. Also, we will be flying those out of DC to the islands..alot of the islands ...MBJ..AUA...ect....maybe he was just talking out of his "butt" just to be talking, but, I kinda can beleive it..also..the express is to come off the A/C by Feb.....that is what the FAA says..can anyone tell me if they have heard any of this to be actually true??
[post="228453"][/post]​

I hate the word "express" on the E70's. It as a bad image to a half decent aircraft.

Okay, let me get this straight! EMB 190 from DC to (AUA)!! Isn't Aruba (AUA)??????
Okay thats like right above South American, over there near Venezula or some crap like that! It would seem like a 5 hr. flight from DC!!!! Give me a break, no freakin way!!!!!!! Atleast I hope the hell not! I could see it going to Bermuda, or Bahamas from DC, but not that far.

xoxo said:
[post="228453"][/post]​

The capacity of a single-class 190 with 32" pitch is 98. Our 170's have 32-33" pitch so I would think the company would go with 32" in the 190's as well, for the sake of consistency. At 31" pitch, the 190 can accommodate 106. The company can configure them with dual classes and get about 94-96 seats wtih decent Y pitch, but still the company isn't likely to break 100 seats on these aircraft.

DCAflyer said:
The capacity of a single-class 190 with 32" pitch is 98. Our 170's have 32-33" pitch so I would think the company would go with 32" in the 190's as well, for the sake of consistency. At 31" pitch, the 190 can accommodate 106. The company can configure them with dual classes and get about 94-96 seats wtih decent Y pitch, but still the company isn't likely to break 100 seats on these aircraft.
[post="228547"][/post]​

You are correct as far as Embraer's specs - the 190 will seat 98 with a 32" pitch and all coach config.

But the same website also shows that the 170 will only seat 70 with a 32" pitch and all coach configuration and somehow we put 72 seats with a reported 32-33" pitch in that space. Not having been on the 170 yet, I'm still mystified how U pulled that feat off.

However, pull it off they did, so I assume that the same thing could be done to put 100 or so seats on the 190. I agree that we're unlikely to see 106 - unless they get some 195's.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
You are correct as far as Embraer's specs - the 190 will seat 98 with a 32" pitch and all coach config.

But the same website also shows that the 170 will only seat 70 with a 32" pitch and all coach configuration and somehow we put 72 seats with a reported 32-33" pitch in that space. Not having been on the 170 yet, I'm still mystified how U pulled that feat off.

However, pull it off they did, so I assume that the same thing could be done to put 100 or so seats on the 190. I agree that we're unlikely to see 106 - unless they get some 195's.

Jim
[post="228558"][/post]​

Good point, Jim.

I have been on the 170 a couple of times and they are very impressive birds, given the size.

I just checked the interior configurations posted on the US Airways website and the Embraer website, respectively. It seems that the configuration for 70 seats on the Embraer site calls for two forward galleys and a coat closet aft of the 1L door. What UAIR did was install only one forward galley, put the coat closet in the place of the aft-most forward galley, and put two seats in place of the closet. Not a bad move, considering the limited service on the Embraer jets. Dual forward galleys are simply not needed for our purposes.

The one dumb move that UAIR did make was installing only two F/A jumpseats. My understanding is that the aircraft can accommodate either three or four. What a bonehead move that was to save a few dollars. If you have a deadheading crew on a full 170, that's one or two more fare-paying passengers which must be refused boarding.

But other than that, I really have no complaints about the aircraft.

Thanks for the explaination of how we got 72 seats in there. I've been wondering about since we got them....

Jim

xoxo said:
OK, this is just rumor that a mechanic for MAA said..now he did not say rumor..but, I consider it a rumor...MAA will be getting the 190's next year sometime..and they will be 108 seaters..now remember he may have just been starting a rumor (I hope not) but..that came from his mouth.
[post="228453"][/post]​

Now doubting the rumor, but where is the economics of requiring a 3rd f/a for only 8 seats? If you keep it to a max of 100, you only need 2.

jimntx said:
Now doubting the rumor, but where is the economics of requiring a 3rd f/a for only 8 seats? If you keep it to a max of 100, you only need 2.
[post="228616"][/post]​

Did ALPA give up additional scope language in their last bend-over agreement..... errrrr...... restructuring agreement? If not, isn't it still 75 or 78 seats or something like that?

Yes - the E-190 is now allowed to the extent that the 170/175 is and the CRJ-900 is allowed to the extent the 700 is. The 190 is limited to 97 seats and the CRJ-900 is limited to 90 seats.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Yes - the E-190 is now allowed to the extent that the 170/175 is and the CRJ-900 is allowed to the extent the 700 is. The 190 is limited to 97 seats and the CRJ-900 is limited to 90 seats.

Jim
[post="228652"][/post]​

That absolutely sucks. ALPA never ceases to amaze me. Those planes should be in mainline, pure and simple. Either that or there should have been an agreement that for so many 190's in MAA or 900's in Express, a certain number of Airbus or equivalent should be placed in service in mainline.

I have been on the 170 quite a few times, and from a passenger point of view it is a very nice aircraft. And I agree it does not rate "express" on the side, after all remember the F-100 and the BAC's, they were about the same size. Whether the E-170 is a long term aircraft or not remains to be seen. Embrier has brought a product to market that the airlines have asked for in price and capacity, everything is a compromise in business, are they a long term aircraft or disposable?
With the reduction in turbo-prop flying, both in the Piedmont operation and also with contact carriers, more 170/190 aircraft might make sense. Crystal city will cut costs, even if it means reducing the "big" fleet in the long run. And more of us will be at a lower pay scale or "downsized" to match the business plan. <_<

Latest posts