Non Rev Misnomers

I also have a HUGE problem with ANY unaccompanied family members boarding before employees, no matter what your senority is. Its our sacrafice that gets our families these benefits, and to loose my seat to someone elses mother is enough to make my blood boil!! (and I recently read an example of a 65yr old mother loosing seat to employee, while I certianly sympathize, I can not agree that any family deserves that seat more than any employee!!)
Again, I cannot agree more! :up: I have to admit, however, at another airline, I was the wife of someone with a bit (not a lot) of seniority and I bumped people. Even employees. :down: And I even had the nerve to get upset when I was bumped by another "spouse" who's hubby had even more seniority ! I was young and had never worked for an airline, myself. I know now how wrong I was. :blush: No wonder I got the hairy eyeball from everyone hovering around the podium! :eye:

As far as "never getting bumped" -- well, that is pretty much true. With proper planning I can only recall getting bumped when "irregular ops" set in -- and not just a few delays, but huge snow-storms over hubs type IO.

The one thing that I am really going to miss, no matter which way we go, is the option of using my flexi passes to "upgrade" my boarding priority. Since I'm not fond of giving out "buddy passes" -- too expensive, too hard to explain "stand by", too low of boarding priority -- I'm really going to miss that option.

Also, for all of you who are 100% FOR 1C1S have you ever considered that when someone from the "east" wants to go to Hawaii that they are going to have at least a 5-6 hour head start on "check-in" -- because when they check-in for their AWA connecting flight, they will be checked-in for the HA leg then too? Just something to think about...

Actually, I'm sure alot of readers think I am anti US/east, but I fully support conx pax being checked in all the way thru since they do have a little more to 'lose' by being a conx pax. those of us who originate in PHX (for the purposes of an example) have less to loose because this is our home, or this is where we came to visit, its not like we'll have to get a hotel if we are bumped. I, personally, am OK with conx pax having some advantage.

Part of the issue is that PSA used to go by time of check in. And there were a lot of instances of abuse in getting a stand by number. I realize that systems are much more sophisticated know than in the 80s, but there are many employees out there that remember the "old" process.

EyeInTheSky WROTE:
PQAKnow-It-All, not every employee at AWA/UWEST is on the short end of the stick when it comes to this merger. For example, AWA/UWEST pilot group got a 5% pay increase last week because U-EAST pilots have a defined contribution plan for retirement -- AWA/UWEST did not have this so the company decided to allow it for their group. AWA/UWEST pilots pay rates are higher than U-EAST, still management did not raise U-EAST pilots to the AWA/UWEST rates NOR did they raise pilot vacation days -- AWA/UWEST pilots on average have 10 more days vacation a year that U-EAST pilots. It's not all wine and roses for U-EAST, and in this very uneven playing field I guarantee you we'll fight tooth and nail to keep our hard-earned senority.

PQAKnow-it-All,

The reason U-East did not get pay raises nor vacation time parity because the girly-men running the union, ALPA, U-East, did not ask for them. It had nothing to do with what the company wanted or allowed. I _ say _ again.
The U-East ALPA deliberately did not ask for it, the company has no obligation to act and neither should they.

It is crazy enough that even U-West union reps are asking U-East reps, "Why did you dudes not even _ask_ for pay/vacation parity?" The Vice-Chair, U-East, was supposedly in charge of the "transition committee".

It shouldn't be too difficult for the U-West pilots to pretty much get what they want. Study Jerry Glass methodology, offer to pay for the U-East advisors (success fees) and the French majority running U-East will show you their bare behinds while running away (something they are {shamefully, with mucho practice} good at), sigh.

with HP management calling the shots, I doubt that date of hire really stands a chance.
According to these posts I have been reading, I dont know if I would pin my hopes on HP mgmt protecting its own. Most AWA people have been upset that they seem to be "favoring" the East.

with HP management calling the shots, I doubt that date of hire really stands a chance.

I agree totally. HP Management wants to eliminate the separation between employees/employee groups. The goal is to make us feel like we are all on an even playing field in as many areas as possible. Seniority will still rule in shift and vacation bids. The benefit of space available travel will be an area where the new USAirways can begin to make all employees feel equally important.

I gotta agree!

I'm flying West tomorrow night, as a real human, not a non rev. Its still a weird feeling to fly on a ticket, I'll still show up 2 hours early, its a habit. Sadly, First is full, they usually upgrade me if I am flying on a real ticket and show them my retiree card.

But, since someone else is paying, I'm not arguing! :up:

:down: Fallicy #1 "If you go by check in time (instead of senority) it can be abused.
Can not someone just as easly cheat Senority as checkin? The abuse potential is exaclty the same, lame arguement.
Fallicy #3 "Benefits are by senority" Actually no they are not, if benefits where by senority Jrs would have to wait longer to see a Dr, to invest in the 401K, to fly non rev to begin with. You could name 20 benefits that every employee has access to regaurdless of senority. The only thing based on senority is schedules. Another bad arguement.
It seems to me the 2 main reason (as stated here often)to oppose check in time as a policy hold absolutely zero water. I am all for working out the best way, but lets be honest so far the East is only concearned with winning their way and not what may be best for the vast majority of employees as well as the company.

What happened to "Fallicy" #2?

According to these posts I have been reading, I dont know if I would pin my hopes on HP mgmt protecting its own. Most AWA people have been upset that they seem to be "favoring" the East.

LOL! Gee, I dont see how the East is being favored. The new company is going with the HP computer system forcing the larger number to learn a new system, policy's have changed to reflect HP's (no pets, no unaccompanied minors on connecting flights etc) US Daily focuses mainly on West coast activities ( havent anything on east coast) and gosh knows what else. What exactly do they feel the east is being favored with? Maybe I'm just out of the loop. :) Fill me in someone. Please!

HPearlyretiree; You said that you flew as a regular pax and not a nonrev. That you showed your retiree card and had a upgrade? Is that normal procedure with HP ?. After 34 years and retired from U , my wife and I fly as regular pax and not nonrev. We had enough of sitting in a terminal and then sometimes being treated like "low life" from the agents. We were just curious if this was norm for HP? Or is it you knew some agent that did it for you? If it's the norm, then you have a good company that takes care of each other. Good luck! Hope it doesn't change for you.

Actually, I'm sure alot of readers think I am anti US/east, but I fully support conx pax being checked in all the way thru since they do have a little more to 'lose' by being a conx pax. those of us who originate in PHX (for the purposes of an example) have less to loose because this is our home, or this is where we came to visit, its not like we'll have to get a hotel if we are bumped. I, personally, am OK with conx pax having some advantage.
[/quote

That's been my only concern, otherwise, I could care less if it's checkin or doh. I have to say I hate that my parents don't have as liberal a policy as before as they are retired and actually use the benenfit, but I will pay whatever cost so it doesn't matter.

Anyway, I don't know about you guys on the west side, but we at US forget how limited our passes were at one time. When I started with Piedmont, parents got id75's and there was no such thing as a domestic partner, buddy passes, or registered traveler. So I can live with it.

I can't wait to nonrev for the first time in shorts...just because I can. :rolleyes: :D

HPearlyretiree; You said that you flew as a regular pax and not a nonrev. That you showed your retiree card and had a upgrade? Is that normal procedure with HP ?. After 34 years and retired from U , my wife and I fly as regular pax and not nonrev. We had enough of sitting in a terminal and then sometimes being treated like "low life" from the agents. We were just curious if this was norm for HP? Or is it you knew some agent that did it for you? If it's the norm, then you have a good company that takes care of each other. Good luck! Hope it doesn't change for you.

Yep, but I also used an old buddy pass to upgrade as well, some stations took the pass, some didn't care.

Latest posts